1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

BAD noise problem. I need some help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcv, May 16, 2011.

1. jcv

jcv Member

I play at a local jam almost every week. My friends host it and I've been there since they started it. I used the same gear every time: Suhr HSS Strat through Bugera V22, no pedals. I'm on the neck pickup 80% of the time and besides the normal hum when all is quiet there has been no problem... the hum isn't horrible at all and once the band gets going you can't hear it - even if I'm not playing.

So a few weeks back I go with the same rig and the hum is like 100 times worse. Even while I'm playing there is a loud, offensive hum. So I have to switch to position 4 which I hate. We figure it's a fluke, that for some reason the power in the joint isn't up to par on this particular night... maybe the deep fryers are working extra hard in the kitchen or something ;)

Then I go last week with my new 60's Tribute LP and I'm worried but I'm hoping for the best. Of course, the hum was loud and totally unmanageable. Everyone is like, "that's what you get for buying a p90 guitar..." blah blah blah... fact is, it was just as bad with my Suhr. So last night I bring my DRRI and a couple pedals instead of my Bugera. Pedals were Keeley TS9 and MI Audio Crunchbox set to 11:00 on the gain each so I wasn't going for high gain by any means. The problem was just as bad... just horrible.

So my buddy's are saying they'll figure this out, it must be a power problem, blah blah blah.... I'm hoping there's something I can do to make this better. I'm a single coil guy and I know plenty of guys gig all the time with single coil guitars... believe me, I doubt anyone would ever be able to live with the kind of noise I'm getting, it would drive people out of the bar.

So what do you guys think? Would a noise gate even help here? What about a power conditioner?

Some guys at the jam were saying that the polarity in this place wasn't right. A keyboard player recently had the same problem and he used one of those little 3 prong-to-2 prong adapters and plugged it in backwards and the problem dissapeared. Of course that sounds a lot less dangerous when you banging on plastic keyboard keys... I don't want to get lit up when I hit my strings or touch the mic!

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Jay

2. Peeb

Peeb Member

3. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

Get a HumX...any ground loops will be defeated...BUT if neutral and hot are reversed at the outlets there will still be some residual hum.

Get one of those cheap (~$5) outlet testers from Radio Shack and check the outlets.....

4. jcv

jcv Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm using good cables - Mogami guitar cables and planet waves between my pedals. Like I said, this didn't used to be a problem at the jam and it's great here at home at band practice in a cellar lit with a bunch of flourecent lights.

The HumX sounds good... what is a ground loop? And will the radio shack tester tell me if that's the problem?

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

This is what I used in my house - just went all around. didn't have a prob with loops it ended up - instead it was just a general Dimmer Light mess, oh well. So I made sure all the lights with dimmers were off when I recorded in the future.

[​IMG]

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've seen issues at jams where the outlets are poorly installed and linked vs separate circuits. Sometimes decent ground lifts help or something like a Furman power conditioner