Bad power tube socket?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ramonneke76, Feb 14, 2015.

1. ramonneke76

ramonneke76 Member

Hi,

I just put in a new set Winged C 6l6gc's in my '66 fender bf bandmaster. I biased it and cleaned the tube sockets. When I lightly tap(or wiggle it) on one of the 6l6 tubes I hear a gentle pop/crack. Cleaned the tube socket again it was less but the pop/crackle was still there when I tap on the tube. Not always, but sometimes it pops/cracks. So it is a little bit better. Should I repeat cleaning a couple of times or is it something with the socket? Maybe very dirty? Didn't checked solder joints jet.

I cleaned it with contact cleaner with lubricant (was all I had around). Want to order a good Deoxit without lubricant soon.

The Winged C's sounds great btw.

2. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Definitely check the solder joints and also the pin connectors. Sometimes you won't see a cold joint and best to touch them up.
    Can't beat the Winged =C='s hopefully someone will start making an equivalent soon.

3. ramonneke76

ramonneke76 Member

Thanks. I'll check the solder joints and re-heat them if necessary.

Nothing but love for the Winged =C='s. Had them in my amp before and didn't know they were winged C's. They were labeled Mesa. Put new tubes in (TAD 6l6gc str) but didn't like them at all. Bought a pair Winged C's and put them in. Sounds so good. The Mesa labeled tested good on my tube tester so I have a (used) spare. [emoji1].

I can still by the Winged C's here. Maybe I'll buy a lot for the future.

4. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

Most likely needs more cleaning than soldering I would bet. deoxit works great and don't listen to the BS about D5 not being good for the sockets or pins, pure hogwash.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Did you tighten up the sockets as well? You need to do that... you can visually see ones that are spread out and lose.

6. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Sometimes it's the burnt or cracked resistors on old Fender amp sockets too.

7. ramonneke76

ramonneke76 Member

No not yet. I'll check it out thanks!

8. ramonneke76

ramonneke76 Member

I'll check that thanks!