Bad rectifier tube in a Deluxe reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kiteflyer, Feb 6, 2008.

1. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

I was experiencing some crackling and fuzzing noises in my 67 deluxe reverb, and trying to track it down. So today I swapped the rectifier tube which seemed at first to fix the problem. Sounded better on the first power up. However, the next time I fired it up, I got a strange buzzing sound when I turned on the power switch but before I turned the standby switch on. I was a little bewildered and I *think* I turned the standby on which blew the fuse.

Does that sound like a bad rectifier tube? I've never heard an amp buzz with the standby off before...Anyone have experience they'd like to share?
    :confused:

Btw, the filter caps have been changed.

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Yes , it could be a defective rectifier tube. Put a new, correct, fuse in and the old rectifier tube.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, definitely backtrack to the old tube setup.

Rectifiers typically blow fuses with the standby switch in the off position (assuming that you power up with the standby in the off position), power tubes (or something internal to the amp) tend to blow fuses when you go from standy to on.

4. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Thanks guys. I will get some more fuses and try again.

5. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Update:

I finally got around to buying some more fuses at radioshack and was able to try again this afternoon. I'm not sure it was a great idea, but I decided to retry the rectifier tube in question. This time I was facing the back of the amp and saw the fireworks going on in the Rectifier and quickly shut the amp off. So yeah, definitely a bad Rectifier tube. A brand new (by the looks of it), never tested, Mullard GZ34 too. Oh well, bad luck.

After swapping another GZ34 in there, the amp is back in good running shape so I can't really complain.