Bad reverb tank on Princeton '68?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ummohyeah, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Evening folks.

I've had a Princeton '68 RI for about a month now. It's been good. Today when I turned it on to play I noticed a buzzing that I hadn't heard before. I recently had a Fender Champ 12 show up DOA so I was a little worried. After some troubleshooting I determined it was the on board reverb, rather than my guitar, cables, pedals or power supply. I turned it off and used my reverb pedal but returned to the onboard reverb later in my session and didn't notice it. Then it came back, and it remains.

Has anyone else experienced this? Surely it's not supposed to be like this? I'd post a video of the buzzing but I'm a bit technologically impaired, and it's hard to describe, but it's this buzzing lying underneath the guitar and everything, and it stays. If I turn the amp up, the buzzing turns up with it, emanating from the speakers.

I haven't been able to find anything noting this specific problem with the Princeton '68. I believe I am still within my return window with Zzounds but I'd hate to send this back, since I might get shafted on the Champ 12 I bought just prior to this amp, which died a sudden death. Can anyone shed light on this issue for me? Is there anything I can try and do on my end?

Thanks in advance.

2. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Replace the reverb driver tube (V3 I think) and see if that fixes it.

3. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

If you're still within the 'return window', then most likely it's warranted by Fender. Fender has one of the best authorized warranty repair networks in the industry. Chances are there is one close to you. Check Fender's website to find the closest one and have it fixed free of charge....that's what I'd do.

4. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I bought a 68 Custom deluxe reverb and the reverb tank itself was damaged on arrival. One of the springs had detached completely within the tank. The reverb itself still worked but didn't sound very good.

5. bob-i

bob-i Member

Check the connections to the reverb tank. There are 2 RCA cables connecting between the amp and the tank. Often when these are loose you'll get a buzz and/or weak reverb.

6. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Thank you all for the replies, very helpful. The buzzing disappeared but re-appeared this morning after about 30 minutes of playing. Very annoying considering I am a "reverb always on" kinda guy. I'll talk to Fender and see what they recommend doing about getting it fixed through one of their repairmen. I have one about 20 minutes from me (the only one in the city actually).

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

In the last 15 years or so tanks have been getting much more fragile than they used to be. It seems to coincide with the same time they quit making them in the US.