• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bad Speaker?

Cornholio

I replaced my brown label Jensen that came with my Univox U-45B with a Warehouse G12C.

I know the thing is new and may require somebreaking in, but there is little to no low end. On top of that, there is distortion sort of sitting behind the main signal even at low volume (like a clean signal with a distorted signal mixed in). The magnet is closer the the chassis than the Jensen.

Is it possible to get a brand new speaker that is defective, or does a magnet too close to the chassis cause this kind of thing?

I hooked the Jensen up and its fine

SatelliteAmps

Its possible the speaker is bad, or it is also possible the magnet is too close to either the output transformer or possibly a power tube. Can you wire up the speaker so it is either in a different cabinet, or even by itself on the floor, so you can rule out any proximity effects?

Cornholio

Its possible the speaker is bad, or it is also possible the magnet is too close to either the output transformer or possibly a power tube. Can you wire up the speaker so it is either in a different cabinet, or even by itself on the floor, so you can rule out any proximity effects?

Just tried that. Something is wrong with the speaker. I just got it today.

I mean there is no low end, it sounds like a cheap radio. But There is sound. Pushing on the cone, it's stiff and does not flex. Voice coils problem?

Is there anything I could have done wrong here to damage the speaker? Do some speaker companies ship duds? I have just never heard of a speaker DIA, which worries me that I am stuck with a bad speaker.

Last edited:

WaltC

it is not uncommon for speakers to experience voice coil dislocation (jumping out of the gap or former damage) in shipping. Sometimes you can (gently and carefully) reseat the former in the magnet gap and get it back to working, but I think you're better off getting the seller to swap if for a new one.

Cornholio

WGS confirmed that it should not sound like that. They are going to ship me a new one with a call tag. They think it was damaged in shipment

Good customer service.

Trending Topics