Bad timing for digital gear purchases

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

WTF???
    It's post Black Friday, still Cyber week (all of which is kind of absurd).
    NO FM3
    NO Kemper Stage in stock
    NO Strymon Iridium in stock
    All Helix products $100 more than they were 2 months ago

And all of the aforementioned gear (which you can't get) is excluded from any deals, Strymon being the absolute worst charging shipping.
    This is THE MONTH people shop and by **** for Christmas gifts, year end deals, etc.

Huge fail by most of these manufacturers.

ptgold, B Money, MaxTwang and 2 others like this.
  2. the swede

the swede Member

Isnt the real deals after christmas? :dunno
    I do my price hunting after christmas, good deals can be happening all through januari... at least here.. in Sweden.

i do understand you though. It sucks when you are ready to spend and theres just... nothing

ford, dansworld, LeicaBossNJ and 3 others like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

I wouldn't buy a Kemper Stage. So that's out of the running. FM3 would be nice but not out so eh. Iridium is boring. I am sure it sounds good but eh. Helix stuff I've had too many times to count. When they bring out the Varisax; I'll revisit it. Sounds like you should either go back to the AX or Zoom G3 into a tube combo.

4. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Perhaps Line 6 should do like the TV makers do and make a Helix that looks like the regular Helix, is branded like the regular Helix, but is actually made of plastic, with the old original HD500 footswitches, etc., so they can sell it at huge discounts during Holiday season.

5. JiveTurkey

...on top of that; I feel you for. We've gotten to where if you are a voracious digital gear w***e; there is just not much in the way of new coming out. So you'll find yourself circling back around to old favorites. I'm looking forward to my SY300/Quilter rig later this week :banana

Madmax25 and Gasp100 like this.
  6. Gasp100

Yes, Kemper Stage was very intriguing to me especially if I could coax Proaudiostar into a good deal. But their "ETA's" are usually way off. Then I perused some of the Kemper Stage threads and people are STILL having issues and the editor STILL isn't out yet.

RE: Watt McCo - I think the Helix could drop a few lbs actually, that might make it more attractive. I guess people say that about me too though :)

The Iridium actually seems intriguing to me, but I'm not much of a pedal guy. So once you add up pedal options + the Iridium you are in "Top 3" modeling territory.

Anytime I start trying to justify the III I just feel it's too much.
    Used AX8 pricing is still absurd IMHO.

7. Gasp100

Quilter? Really?
    I was looking at that Revv D20, looks interesting but IDK kind of expensive.

The truth is all of this aforementioned gear is really good and can easily be used in most situations to sound great. But, when you are an old school digital fiend like us, it's very hard to impress LOL!

8. JiveTurkey

The Stage is an absolute crap shoot from all I have read. And to double down and bake in the stupid switching limitations Kemper puts into their footswitch implementation...no thanks. Ugh. I still am of the opinion they should have focused on a midi enabled stomp equivalent. Let downstream gear do the routing and switching heavy lifting. If you like Fractal; the III just makes sense. It seems like a lot but it boils down to a rack, small cab and footswitch. It's A LOT cleaner on stage than a aircraft carrier floorboard with cables going all over.
    I bought the SDOTD for like $190. Super loud; works great as a pedal platform, or on it's own as a basic single channel with volume knob or as a modeling amplification platform. Can't say enough good things about it.

9. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

$1,299 for two channels plus a boost. And it has a built in load and compensated DI out which everyone raves about.
    Blast away some power chords while you wait on the 1s and 0s.
    Just saying......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  10. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

try Russo Music in NJ....I did...order yours today!

Old Guy, Gallery and Gasp100 like this.
  11. JiveTurkey

This and an MS3 would go a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way for a great direct solution I'd bet.

12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

I bought a Marshall instead.

13. JiveTurkey

:drink:drink:drink

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

Now to work on my goatee so I can make a comparison vid.

In seriousness I have no clue why I did it, but it’s a 50w Origin. Maybe run the Stomp into it or maybe not. Either way, I needed an amp with a loop and it was a really good deal used.

15. Gasp100

Been there, done that... TWICE.
    I really LOVE the Runt 20. I think it's an exceptional amp and I really liked the clean channel and had great results going DI into audio interface, DI into PA and AX8 -> FX return -> XLR out to PA. If I only played guitar, I would redo that rig in a heartbeat. But as bandleader for current (and probably 75% of future shows) I'm doing sub, mains, rack based mixer/laptop, stands, IEMs, lights...
    I'd like to scale down to almost nothing.
    I could force my band to go silent stage, buy the III + FC6 and a new rack that holds everything. But then I'm REALLY locked in to the rack paradigm.
    Still thinking it through (while I sell **** and up my gear budget).

That was a killer rig... probably should have stopped there

mattthehoople, ptgold, ford and 6 others like this.
  16. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Agree on Helix, also need to lop off a good 4+ inches from its width and 1.5"+ from its depth.

I've come to the conclusion that for playing outside of jamroom/recording context, I'd be beyond happy with just one preset that has 3 amp channels, two ODs, a GOOD tremolo, a simple analog-style delay, and a GOOD reverb. Stretching that out to all I want, all I really need to add is a good rotary and a good octaver.

I'd like to be able to do all of that in an "out of the house" context with nothing more than a powered cab and a foot controller that only needs a single cord back to the cab to control the processing.

Gonna see how "satisfied" I am with the Nextone -- two amp channels, boost, reverb and either delay or tremolo; can control amp channel and boost from a single dual aux footswitch.

FM3 could work -- store it in the cab permanently, run either four aux switches out from the cab, or an FC6.

Stomp doesn't work so well -- It can do two amp channels, an OD, a delay and reverb USUALLY without compromise, but can't add in modulation or second OD without having choices limited on the amp channels, and certainly no opportunity for a third channel. And to control it out front without power would need to rig up a Morningstar and some form of MIDI phantom power supply that stays in the cab and...its all just too much money and dongle-fest for something that still can't really do what I want it too.

Iridium -- even just to do basic version of what I want, is Iridium + an OD + a delay + a reverb, possibly + Strymon multiswitch to access three presets on Iridium, + power + board and now its expensive, cumbersome, and limited.

Kemper could kinda work, but its cumbersome and still kinda limited in that its tremolo sucks, imo, as does its rotary, as do most of its ODs other than the TS.

lpr9, yeky83 and Gasp100 like this.
  17. mikah912

mikah912 Supporting Member

Winter NAMM is just a few weeks away, and the interim is a winding down period where gigs are usually sparse and many of us are more focused on family and travel than personal pursuits.

Not to mention each of the cases you mention has extenuating circumstances. FM3 is still too buggy to release, and Kemper Stage is a pure crapshoot, quality-wise, even now. Strymon is selling every Iridium they can make and the Helix products continue to flourish despite some political malarkey outside their control affecting the price.

18. JiveTurkey

We are in the process of figuring out what we want to do RE: lights. Talk about a where do I start moment. 25 year old can lights aren't cutting it :brick

19. JiveTurkey

Dude; it is company christmas party season. One of THE BEST times for gigging imo.

20. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

I was really skeptical about a 1 knob clean but between the 3 pos high switch and the global presence it's amazing.
    The JJ Jr. has this great chime that's equal parts blackface and AC. And using the switch gets you from jazz to
    jangly pop.

That Friedman dude made a deal with the devil I tell ya!

Gasp100 likes this.