Badass songs your band covered and no one got

27sauce

Unless things have changed in the last 10 years or so, that one’s a standard in eastern Kentucky. Any Exile, really.

Gary Stewart, too. I don’t hear either much, outside that region, though.
He’s big down here, too. We know 4 or 5 of his tunes. Empty Glass is a sure thing.

Funny thing about that Exile thing. Our singer wanted to mash it up with “lay me down” by Alabama, because they sound similar. He had no idea Exile wrote and recorded the song. That one was fun, too, as much as dislike Alabama...

My originals band covered Sad But Superstitious, the Sad But True/Superstition mashup here:

The end result was pissing off the Metallica fans in the audience and horrifying the Stevie Wonder fans.

I still think it was both funny and sounded great, but I'm apparently in a minority there ;)

BlueRiff

We juxtaposed melodies in a contrapuntal arrangement of Rush's Cygnus X-1, Book 2 along with excerpts from Yes' Tales of Topographic Oceans and performed it at a local bar. The audience reaction ranged from "WTF is this?!" to indifference, looking down at phones, etc. Being bitterly offended at the reaction, we immediately stopped playing and said to the crowd "Clueless much?!?! - I'm sure there's a 100 bands perfectly willing to play Freebird for ya!!" We packed up and left. Never again!! :p:p

Mwoodbro

Silver Supporting Member
Powerhouse (Raymond Scott).

Of course we had to drop it, but it was so cool and so fun (to us at least).

Jason UP

Supporting Member
ha I just posted about Out on the Tiles in the "deep cuts" thread....yeah we did that one too and nuttin'. Same with Sometimes Salvation that someone else mentioned, and that song's awesome too. But, man, nothing got them looking at their phones or getting a beer more than Ten Years Gone....and that was one of the most difficult and epic covers ever (not difficult technically per se, just difficult to nail, especially for vocals).

Also did Jesus Christ Pose once and the folks were a little frightened. :eek: Not an easy song to sing too.....at all....

myaudiodna

How about one song in each direction?

Cult of Personality by Living Color - I thought for sure everyone would know this one, but only a couple of people at each gig seem to be into it.

Man of Constant Sorrow by The Soggy Bottom Boys from the movie O' Brother Where Art Thou - I didn't think anyone would recognize this song, but there are always at least a couple of people fired up about this song.

makeitstop

Imagine the music from 'When The Levee Breaks' with the melody and lyrics of 'Rock On' by David Essex. We did that.

Also - Imagine Green Day's 'American Idiot' mashed up with 'Hocus Pocus' by Focus. We still do that.

sws1

When I first joined my last band, they were doing HIM's cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game.

Crickets.

Thank god we changed direction.

Radar

THIS IS THE STORY OF MY BAND. We just did our top annual gig this weekend, and our setlist got much less appreciation than last year. The only people that seemed to be interested were ones who knew our songs. One guy even came to me at the end and said I nailed the guitar tone, sounded like someone popped in the CD. But it was crickets to most of the audience and we ended up adding a few requests out of our setlist. It was fun anyway but man, tough crowds are a bummer.

MattC

ha I just posted about Out on the Tiles in the "deep cuts" thread....yeah we did that one too and nuttin'. Same with Sometimes Salvation that someone else mentioned, and that song's awesome too. But, man, nothing got them looking at their phones or getting a beer more than Ten Years Gone....and that was one of the most difficult and epic covers ever (not difficult technically per se, just difficult to nail, especially for vocals).

Also did Jesus Christ Pose once and the folks were a little frightened. :eek: Not an easy song to sing too.....at all....
I love Ten Years Gone, but even I might be a little bored by it live unless it was done impeccably. And even if it were, I’m still not sure it wouldn’t drag a bit for me. There’s a lot of space in that song. Sometimes songs like that don’t quite work live for me for whatever reason. In fact, maybe that’s a good topic for another thread. I just might post it.

FuzzyAce

I've always played in original bands, but a parody we would do years ago was from REO Speedwagon's "Heard it from a Friend". Ours was "Got Herpes from A friend" lol. sometimes it went over very well and was hilarious... other times not so much. :D

bartmcartman

Silver Supporting Member
"Don't Change" (INXS) was a moderate hit back in the day. I even saw a bar band or two cover it at the time. That said, the only time I hear it now is when I put it on, or shuffle on the iPod finds it. Great song.
We play it now
We played Perfect Strangers with a fiddle player doing the string parts. Crickets.

The following songs also went under appreciated:

Let Me Roll It- Wings
Grace Too- Tragically Hip
Sometimes Salvations- Black Crowes
Given 2 Fly- Pearl Jam
Dont Change - INXS
We do Don't Change now. Pretty much the same as it was then.