Badass songs your band covered and no one got

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killcrop, Sep 10, 2019 at 10:46 PM.

1. drlucky

drlucky Member

One of my bands used to do the intro to Over The Hills And Far Away then segue into 3 Is A Magic Number from Sesame Street. Usually went over pretty good except for the time we played it while opening for a LZ tribute band. Their fans hated it, and the band was ready to kill us (they were VERY SERIOUS Zep fans...ironically we were also huge Zep fans, just with a more warped sense of humor).

2. drlucky

drlucky Member

Really? Interesting...

3. atallen

atallen Member

I started reading the thread and immediately thought of these two before even making it to the second page. I was never a big fan of "Nearly Lost You" but thought it would go over well. It didn't. Ever.

"Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" was another that was so hit or miss that we couldn't not do it. Sometimes it would fall absolutely dead, sometimes it would get a great reaction.

strike3 likes this.
  4. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

The biggest bomb we ever played was “ Take the Skinheads Bowling” by Camper Van Beethoven.
    I’m not sure what I thought the reaction might be but the 3 times we ever played it the crowd just stared at us. I don’t know if they were skinheads that were offended or they hated skinheads and would never take them bowling, but I never had a reaction to any song like that. The third time was the charm. Never played it again.

5. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Umm, you just used the words "juxtaposed," "contrapuntal" and "excerpts" in the same paragraph as "at a local bar." Not sure the problem was with the clientele. Edit: Tho' now I read it again and bet you were kidding. :D

That one surprises me. That's a great, catchy tune.

6. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Yes - I was messing around - had to look up those words though ! :D:D

stratadp likes this.
  7. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

Here Again - Rush - predictable that no one knows that one
    What You're Doin' - Rush
    The Rover - Zep

Jimi1983 and Mudshark60 like this.
  8. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

Our band played “It Won’t Be Long” for awhile in the early 80’s during the “we play mostly originals but also play cool covers that we kinda do in our style” era. Well, it was a thing here in Detroit, anyway ;). It went over well but, at that time, it was cool to find some more obscure songs to cover. While it was The Beatles, it wasn’t a big hit by any means.

In a later 80’s band, we played “Postcards From Paradise” a kick ass song by Flesh For Lulu. Fans of our band liked it but I’m sure it went over the heads of the casual crowd.

9. JJFlash

JJFlash Supporting Member

When I was 15, back in 1983, we got a gig at a club called McGreevy's that had an underage night on Sundays. Our first real gig and this was the setlist. Needless to say, nobody got any of it. Except the owner, he dug it. So much so, we played there every other Sunday for the next year. Great times. And, I actually have this set on tape.

Rock and Roll Swindle - Sex Pistols

Hot Love - T Rex

White Light - VU

Driving Sister - Mott

All the Way from Memphis - Mott

Well Respected Man - Kinks

Sweet Virginia - Stones

Five to One - Doors

Metal Guru - T Rex

Hang on to Yourself - Bowie

Ziggy Stardust - Bowie

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'm a fan of obscure covers, which is why I went along with IWBL, among other deep cuts. Even back then (early 90s), I'd already played "Play That Funky Music" enough to last a lifetime, it's kinda the "Mustang Sally" of my generation. Yes, it can light up a dance floor, but golly, it gets old fast.

Michigan guitar likes this.
  11. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Cool song. I would have been impressed!

27sauce likes this.
  12. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Same thing when we did it years back. It took a lot of work to get it right (especially the breaks in the end). It' one of those tunes that if you miss one turn, you're screwed. I was really proud of it but it was the sound of one hand clapping.

13. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Years ago. A nice little band with Robert Palmer before he went solo. We rocked this pretty hard, so it actually often worked - sometimes not...

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

"Brown Eyed Lover" - Allen Stone
    "The Dynamo of Volition" - Jason Mraz
    "Suit and Tie" - Justin Timberlake
    "Best Part" - Daniel Caesar and H.E.R.
    "Cake by the Ocean" - DNCE
    "Blues Hand Me Down" - Vintage Trouble
    ...haven't played it at a gig yet but soon to be...
    "Blow" - Ed Sheeran, Chris Stapleton, Bruno Mars

15. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Not sure what some of you guys were thinkin. . .

neastguy likes this.
  16. brain21

brain21 Member

Hell yes! I would have recognized that one from the first chord or two. The Shaboo Shoobah and Listen Like Thieves era stuff was my favorite.

And from the same era, many of us in the US remember The Church and The Hoodoo Gurus. Your be hard pressed to find anyone in a bar that would recognize their songs, unless it's a big town.

Michigan guitar likes this.
  17. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i played in an 80's band in the early 90's. it was called college alternative back then. we did some cool songs.
    frankie goes to hollywoods cover of born to run

and u2's electric co

18. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

That’s awesome. We used to do a pretty slavish version (minus the Moog) of Band on the Run. Three part harmonies, acoustic guitar, lead slide parts with delay, etc.

Most people didn’t get it, but when they did, they were in total awe. We also had a request for it once from some dude who didn’t know we played it, and he freaked.

It’s those times that it’s worth it. It’s the pure audacity of those covers that is mind blowing for fans of music.

19. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

You are correct

20. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

We used to cover Hocus Pocus in one of my bands. We played it well and our singer could do Van Leer's yodeling too! It was usually ignored by patrons who just wanted to hear big hits from well known bands.

Jimi1983, neastguy and Mattbedrock like this.