Badass songs your band covered and no one got

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killcrop, Sep 10, 2019 at 10:46 PM.

1. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Wheels... would only be a deep cut for the newbiest of newbs, maybe a Beibs fan or something. :dunno

paranoid70 likes this.
  2. Capador

Capador Member

Speaking of sabbath...War Pigs...doesn't get much more badass, but every time we played it, the reaction was lukewarm at best. We play to a younger crowd and sadly, I think Sabbath missed the boat on that one.

3. WordMan

WordMan Member

Bad Luck by Social Distortion.

Michigan guitar likes this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Shocking, how does a bar crowd not get this?

uab9253 and Gasp100 like this.
  5. InkStained

InkStained Member

I love that song. I would have given you a standing O.

Unless, of course, your band sucks.

Jimi1983 likes this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

"Take It On the Run" assumes a very different message after your story.

7. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

My act gets good response from some pretty obscure stuff, so it's really weird when a chart bombs that seems like a sure thing within our typical wheelhouse. Two non-obscure tunes which we did well that just absolutely tanked:

America - Simon & Garfunkel
    Walk Away Renée - the Left Banke

I think this is one of the great C&W tunes of all time. We've talked about picking it up.

Tiny Montgomery likes this.
  8. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

our band was a non-popular cover band- i mean we covered judas priest, dokken, iron maiden when everybody was listening to poison, bon jovi, etc. when we covered materials from more popular bands we did the B sides songs

Jimi1983 likes this.
  9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

How did th esongs no one got ever achieve powerpop classic status?

But that is such a mesmerizing rockin' song with some weirdness thrown in!
    I'd give you a:aok.
    It was a hit, has been covered before, we all know the riff, even to a first time listener it would have to make an impact.....people are the worst!
    Where's that meme?

10. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

That's a really good question. I'm guessing a lot of those songs were just of their era and people just forget about them. Or they're really old songs and younger people just don't know them . . . I was really surprised by the very tepid reaction we got for songs like "Baby Blue" and "I've Been Waiting" which were bona fide hits in their time. We definitely played some less known songs, but at least half of our setlist were hits in their day. Lots of blank stares . . .

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, any of our friends (typically musicians, right?) who'd hear us do it went nutz! But everyone else? Most of them never heard it and didn't care.

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Personally I love hearing those hits that dropped out of sight or great tunes that did not achieve hit status. Songs like that stand on their own merit and often introduce me to stuff I have missed.
    But, I am part of the problem i.e. the guy that likes to play obscure stuff...not the crowd in the bar.

13. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

14. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Where are you playing this weekend???

15. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

We worked up The Tubes "Talk to Ya Later" in my classic rock band. It was a blast to play - I think Lukather did the guitar solos on the record. A few folks would dig it, but most people seemed confused. Good thing we didn't try Attack of the 50' Woman!

In my variety band, we've tried several different Paramore songs. I think it's cool stuff - rocking music with great lead vocals from Haley. A few folks would be excited but the majority didn't get it.

I know what I like, but I am pretty clueless about what the average joe wants to hear.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  16. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

In the R&R cover band I was in back in early '90's we worked up a few of my fave ZZ Top songs, and I was so proud of how well we ( tried...) played them, but they never went over!

" It's Only Love" ( it's drivin' me crazy)
    " I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"

Jimi1983 and Mattbedrock like this.
  17. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Any King's X.
    When I was much younger we did "Reach Out" by Iron Maiden, written and sung by Adrian and it was a B-side to something (EDIT: Wasted Years)... we really didn't give a **** back then, I kind of miss those days!

18. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I played with a group for several months as a sub to get them through until they could hire the right guy full time [they probably would have taken me except I wasn't wiling to play for free].

One night they sent me a text saying they wanted to do "Locomotive breath". I ask who does the original. "Jethro Tull… but we're going to do it just a hair faster, with a bit more pronounced bass and more muscular guitars."

Now I will freely admit I was NOT a Jethro Tull fan - still really am not. So immediately my eyes were rolling, but it's their dime so I go check the song out. Actually... this isn't too bad... and the lyrics are kind of cool... not bad at all.

Well, their version was exactly as they described - "locomotive breath, but more muscular". I actually thought it sounded really good. We played it out... golf clap.... cause no one knew it. next evening - same. They cut it after that.

A year or so later another band tells me they are looking for a serious B side deep cut that no one would know but would be an awesome song. I recommended "Locomotive breath, with more muscular guitars".

I recognized the look they gave me as exactly the one I would have given before hearing it done that way. My explaining and coaxing did not help. I seem to remember them picking "summer of '69" and me saying "this isn't exactly a B side".

Insert facepalm.

19. JB37

JB37 Member

One time my cover band did a medley of Layla/Lyla/Lola. Always made me chuckle but no one in the crowd ever seemed to catch it.

pomfret and Bob Pollock like this.
  20. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

What would you consider a deep cut from Ozzy-era Sabbath, then?

Jimi1983 likes this.