Badass songs your band covered and no one got

My Black Sabbath tribute band did Wheels of Confusion this weekend. Didn't go over nearly as well as the more well known stuff. But I figure as a tribute band, you kind of need to have a few deep cuts in case there are some die hards in the crowd.
Wheels... would only be a deep cut for the newbiest of newbs, maybe a Beibs fan or something. :dunno

Capador

Speaking of sabbath...War Pigs...doesn't get much more badass, but every time we played it, the reaction was lukewarm at best. We play to a younger crowd and sadly, I think Sabbath missed the boat on that one.

We juxtaposed melodies in a contrapuntal arrangement of Rush's Cygnus X-1, Book 2 along with excerpts from Yes' Tales of Topographic Oceans and performed it at a local bar. The audience reaction ranged from "WTF is this?!" to indifference, looking down at phones, etc. Being bitterly offended at the reaction, we immediately stopped playing and said to the crowd "Clueless much?!?! - I'm sure there's a 100 bands perfectly willing to play Freebird for ya!!" We packed up and left. Never again!! :p:p
Shocking, how does a bar crowd not get this?

Tim Bowen

My act gets good response from some pretty obscure stuff, so it's really weird when a chart bombs that seems like a sure thing within our typical wheelhouse. Two non-obscure tunes which we did well that just absolutely tanked:

America - Simon & Garfunkel
Walk Away Renée - the Left Banke

Gary Stewart, too. I don’t hear either much, outside that region, though.
I think this is one of the great C&W tunes of all time. We've talked about picking it up.

our band was a non-popular cover band- i mean we covered judas priest, dokken, iron maiden when everybody was listening to poison, bon jovi, etc. when we covered materials from more popular bands we did the B sides songs

Tone_Terrific

Supporting Member
songs no one got - all powerpop classics
How did th esongs no one got ever achieve powerpop classic status?

We used to cover Hocus Pocus in one of my bands. We played it well and our singer could do Van Leer's yodeling too! It was usually ignored by patrons who just wanted to hear big hits from well known bands.
But that is such a mesmerizing rockin' song with some weirdness thrown in!
I'd give you a:aok.
It was a hit, has been covered before, we all know the riff, even to a first time listener it would have to make an impact.....people are the worst!
Where's that meme?

That's a really good question. I'm guessing a lot of those songs were just of their era and people just forget about them. Or they're really old songs and younger people just don't know them . . . I was really surprised by the very tepid reaction we got for songs like "Baby Blue" and "I've Been Waiting" which were bona fide hits in their time. We definitely played some less known songs, but at least half of our setlist were hits in their day. Lots of blank stares . . .

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Gold Supporting Member

But that is such a mesmerizing rockin' song with some weirdness thrown in!
I'd give you a:aok.
It was a hit, has been covered before, we all know the riff, even to a first time listener it would have to make an impact.....people are the worst!
Where's that meme?
Yeah, any of our friends (typically musicians, right?) who'd hear us do it went nutz! But everyone else? Most of them never heard it and didn't care.

Tone_Terrific

Supporting Member
I'm guessing a lot of those songs were just of their era and people just forget about them.
Personally I love hearing those hits that dropped out of sight or great tunes that did not achieve hit status. Songs like that stand on their own merit and often introduce me to stuff I have missed.
But, I am part of the problem i.e. the guy that likes to play obscure stuff...not the crowd in the bar.

Fatherflot

When I was 15, back in 1983, we got a gig at a club called McGreevy's that had an underage night on Sundays. Our first real gig and this was the setlist. Needless to say, nobody got any of it. Except the owner, he dug it. So much so, we played there every other Sunday for the next year. Great times. And, I actually have this set on tape.

Rock and Roll Swindle - Sex Pistols

Hot Love - T Rex

White Light - VU

Driving Sister - Mott

All the Way from Memphis - Mott

Well Respected Man - Kinks

Sweet Virginia - Stones

Five to One - Doors

Metal Guru - T Rex

Hang on to Yourself - Bowie

Ziggy Stardust - Bowie
Where are you playing this weekend???

Mattbedrock

Silver Supporting Member
We worked up The Tubes "Talk to Ya Later" in my classic rock band. It was a blast to play - I think Lukather did the guitar solos on the record. A few folks would dig it, but most people seemed confused. Good thing we didn't try Attack of the 50' Woman!

In my variety band, we've tried several different Paramore songs. I think it's cool stuff - rocking music with great lead vocals from Haley. A few folks would be excited but the majority didn't get it.

I know what I like, but I am pretty clueless about what the average joe wants to hear.

Bluedano1

In the R&R cover band I was in back in early '90's we worked up a few of my fave ZZ Top songs, and I was so proud of how well we ( tried...) played them, but they never went over!

" It's Only Love" ( it's drivin' me crazy)
" I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"

Gasp100

Supporting Member
Any King's X.
When I was much younger we did "Reach Out" by Iron Maiden, written and sung by Adrian and it was a B-side to something (EDIT: Wasted Years)... we really didn't give a **** back then, I kind of miss those days!

snow and steel

Supporting Member
I played with a group for several months as a sub to get them through until they could hire the right guy full time [they probably would have taken me except I wasn't wiling to play for free].

One night they sent me a text saying they wanted to do "Locomotive breath". I ask who does the original. "Jethro Tull… but we're going to do it just a hair faster, with a bit more pronounced bass and more muscular guitars."

Now I will freely admit I was NOT a Jethro Tull fan - still really am not. So immediately my eyes were rolling, but it's their dime so I go check the song out. Actually... this isn't too bad... and the lyrics are kind of cool... not bad at all.

Well, their version was exactly as they described - "locomotive breath, but more muscular". I actually thought it sounded really good. We played it out... golf clap.... cause no one knew it. next evening - same. They cut it after that.

A year or so later another band tells me they are looking for a serious B side deep cut that no one would know but would be an awesome song. I recommended "Locomotive breath, with more muscular guitars".

I recognized the look they gave me as exactly the one I would have given before hearing it done that way. My explaining and coaxing did not help. I seem to remember them picking "summer of '69" and me saying "this isn't exactly a B side".

Insert facepalm.

Trending Topics