BadCat Cougar 50w Head users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Slevin, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Slevin

Slevin Member

Or anyone that's ever played one: What are your opinions on the thing. I know they're mass produced Chinese amps, but I saw one on a ridiculous sale and was wondering if it was worth the 425 dollar plunge (brand new).

2. reade

reade Member

I have one and am just now getting it dialed in. Read the thread about the amp, lots of info there. For me, the cleans are good and I'm thinking now as using it as more of a clean amp for pedals. I have been experimenting with using lower gain tubes in V1 to tame the lead channel as it has more gain than I want. If you are playing hard rock the lead channel may be perfect. There are a couple of good sound clips in the thread I refer to of the amp with a Bogner Blue OD in front. The reverb is OK and a 3 spring tank is a good step in the right direction but when all is said and done the reverb is just OK.

3. Slevin

Slevin Member

Can you link to the thread? Or should I just common sense it and Google it lol. Also, I'm a clean channel kinda guy. Love having a good pedal platform type amp that I can just run odd and fuzzes through all day. I play through a drri head into a 2x12 with celestion v30s right now so I was thinking of something a little different. I was thinking an or15 but then I saw this price and my jaw dropped.

4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

You should also get to know this guy... he is behing most of its design.. http://www.amptweaker.com/page/About-James-1.aspx

5. andrew moxom

andrew moxom Member

Minnesota - lived here since 1993. Prior to that,
    Jump on it before they are all gone. I got the head as the combo deal had all been bought up. For $429 it is hard to beat for what you get. The cleans are awesome, and it takes pedals well, dirt in front, and modulation in the loop. It has some serious headroom over all. The overdrive side has monster gain on tap, and if you keep the gain down fairly low,( lower than 8 o'clock) it is possible to dial in a mild bluesy just breaking up sound. Again, pedals can take it to the next level. I also swapped out the reverb tank for a MOD - 3 spring tank from amplified parts. It's medium decay, but miles better than the stock POS tank. While swapping out the tank, it seemed well put together. The tube sockets are soldered to the board, so down the road, heat might cause the joints to fail. That said, there is a 3 yr warranty that comes with it.

6. reade

reade Member

7. The Funk

The Funk Member

It's a nice amp. For the price its unbeatable. At the normal price it's competitive with things like the Orange TH30, or the PRS SE series, but better.

The gain on the lead channel is truly rediculous. 12:00 is like black album Metallica. But it's very versatile. Goes from allman brothers to death metal. The EQ is very powerful too.

The clean channel doesn't have a lot of adjustability. It's a four position switch and the presence knob. But it sounds great, so you don't need to do much. Its clean clean though, up to pretty deafening levels. Breaks up around 3:00. You will never need to be that loud.

I haven't gotten the dirt channel up past about 8:00 yet. It's very loud.

8. The Funk

The Funk Member

Oh, this will be very different, in a complimentary way. That cab is perfect too. It loves vintage 30s

9. Slevin

Slevin Member

10. reade

reade Member

As someone else mentioned "I own pedals that cost more".

11. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Hell.. i have pickups that cost more!

12. Slevin

Slevin Member

v30's are great with the right amp. I got them specifically for the deluxe reverb to add a little oomph in the mid section to help tame those highs. I love it.

I can't wait to get this amp.