Badcat Cougar?

xrleroyx

I have an opportunity to get this in a trade, and I need a guitar amp. I am currently ampless.

I'm looking for a great clean sound, and build most of my tones with my pedalboard. I use a lot of fuzz, with an INFANEM Improbablity drive for OD, and a SHO for a dirty boost.

Anyone have experience with these?

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on which wattage you are presented with. There are several folk here that have them and a couple threads as well.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Cougar 50 combo.. It's a really good sounding amp.. I've owned many boutiques including 3 USA Bad Cats and the Cougar 50 has just as much tone as the other models... Here's the rundown... The clean channel is really clean, really no break up.. The od channel is very high gain stock. I was the guy in the original thread that suggested putting a 12AY7 in V2 , which brings the gain down to reasonable levels... I play classic rock and blues... The fx loop works well and the reverb sounds pretty good... The cabinet on the combo is oversized and it has a great full sound, and its made of plywood, not cheap MDF like the Marshall Haze and current DSL models..It comes stock with a Celestion V30 which I usually don't care for but in this amp it sounds perfect..both channels have 5 way tone (clean channel) or Mid frequency (od channel) switches which makes it that much easier to dial in your tones.....the amp is Chinese, and is of descent production quality for the $$ .. Most of us bought them when Musicians Friend was blowing them out for $430 with free shipping..
These amps still have that Bad Cat version of thicker than Marshall tones.... Can't say enough good things about them.. Also, they take well to treble boosters on the od channel...!
The 50 watt 1/12 combo weighs about 50 lbs which isn't bad considering that my old 2/12 30 watt Black Cat weighed 97 pounds!

xrleroyx

I have a Cougar 50 combo.. It's a really good sounding amp.. I've owned many boutiques including 3 USA Bad Cats and the Cougar 50 has just as much tone as the other models... Here's the rundown... The clean channel is really clean, really no break up.. The od channel is very high gain stock. I was the guy in the original thread that suggested putting a 12AY7 in V2 , which brings the gain down to reasonable levels... I play classic rock and blues... The fx loop works well and the reverb sounds pretty good... The cabinet on the combo is oversized and it has a great full sound, and its made of plywood, not cheap MDF like the Marshall Haze and current DSL models..It comes stock with a Celestion V30 which I usually don't care for but in this amp it sounds perfect..both channels have 5 way tone (clean channel) or Mid frequency (od channel) switches which makes it that much easier to dial in your tones.....the amp is Chinese, and is of descent production quality for the $$ .. Most of us bought them when Musicians Friend was blowing them out for $430 with free shipping..
These amps still have that Bad Cat version of thicker than Marshall tones.... Can't say enough good things about them.. Also, they take well to treble boosters on the od channel...!
The 50 watt 1/12 combo weighs about 50 lbs which isn't bad considering that my old 2/12 30 watt Black Cat weighed 97 pounds!
Great advice. I'll just have to go play it. It is the 50 watt head version. I'll also check out that other thread, thanks everyone

RussB

low rent hobbyist
I have the 50H. I Iiked it so much I bought another. Rod sums it up well.

Trending Topics