BadCat HotCat 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teddy boy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Anyone got a 15W Hot Cat? What is it like?

I would really, really love to hear some clips! I'm begging you! There are none anywhere!!!

2. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Have a 30 Head, had a 15/30R, have a/b'd a regular 15 with my 30.

At a local amp fest we had a 15 combo and my 30 plugged into the my Bad Cat 2x12. They sounded very very similar. The 30 was bigger sounding, the 15 had a little more chime on the clean side.

I prefered the clean tone of the 15 and the gain channel of the 30. But it's completely splitting hairs.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

jeffh,

Thanks man! Can you get absolutely crazy amounts of gain on it? Say Trainwreck amounts? How about the dynamics and touch responsiveness?

4. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I believe the 15 has the identical preamp to the 30. The gain available with either should be the same. Any 30 clips you hear will have the same amount of gain as the 15.

Using the level and gain control, you get way into high gain territory, but it's not scooped. You need the R version for that with the three way mid switch.

Very very dynamic amps but a little more compressed than a Trainwreck type amp.

Hmmm. my 666 post.... think I listened to too much metal as a kid... must go now :)

5. putnut77

putnut77 Member

Seconding Jeff's post

I have a Hot Cat 30 head, and the responsiveness of the amp is incredible. Loads of gain, but it sounds very stacked and thick, but you can hear every single note of any chord you strum. I absolutely love this amp.

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents!

Great! I'm going to get one. Have to wait for my custom Cub II with a tube buffered fx-loop to arrive first. It's 1 x 12" but I ordered a 2 x 10" to go with it... all in gold sparkle!

I'm talking to James about getting the Hot Cat 15 with Hot Cat 30R specs. Let's see if he can make that happen.