BadCat HotCat 30, 50 or 100 R owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vchizzle, Feb 3, 2008.

1. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Ok guys all of you who own badcat hotcats with reverb....

-Does the reverb bleed into the dirty channel??? even a tiny bit. I've heard this is an issue on SOME hot cats. The consensus seemed to be around the 1995 made amps. If it does bleed, is it just with the footswitch or if you plug into the individual channel inputs too?

-How does the loop work? I've basically heard they suck. I'm not overly concerned as I probably won't use it but...pedals? rack? anything sound good with it without sucking tone?

The reason I ask is I'm considering purchasing a new hotcat custom shop 50R or 100R. I will not be able to play it that I know of(none anywhere close to me). And some claim to have no issues with it so it seems to be a spotty issue maybe???

I have been a HotCat owner for 5 or 6 years now. 30 and had a 100 for awhile too. Both mine were built before the fancy options of reverb, mid switch loop and footswitch were available. Both my amps have been pretty rock solid with virtually no issues at all. I'll probably have to sell a couple amps to grab a new "R" version amp if that's what I decide. My old 30 would probably be the last thing to go(and likely never will) as its been so solid and toneful:cool:
    I'd just hate to sacrifice amps I really like to get one that could be problematic.

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Since my 100R was totally a first of a kind custom mod adding reverb and
    the Diezel designed FX loop, it's hard for me to give advice about the newer
    models.

The Reverb is very understated, behind the note rather than what you might expect from a typical Fender style reverb circuit.

The way my amp is set up, you can run with our without reverb in the
    OD channel via the ABY switch.

I would talk to James to get more specific details on how the current
    circuit is set up.

3. vchizzle

Well, I know it's set up to be on the clean channel only(unless they changed it just recently). But I've heard complaints of the verb bleeding into the high gain channel where its not supposed to be.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

Come to think of it, I do dial down the Reverb when I'm primarily staying in the OD channel.

When you use the ABY switch, you get either clean or OD or a blend
    of both channels, so if the Reverb is on the clean channel when you switch
    it's going to bleed in.

Again, I would talk to James about the current circuit to see if he can
    set it up so any engagement of the OD channel turns off the Reverb.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

30R head ownere here. The reverb doesn't bleed into the OD channel that I've noticed at all. It's only on the clean - and it's a nice reverb at that!

I can't help you on the loop as I really don't use effects at all!

Great amp, the 30R! I'm sure the 50R/100Rs are just as nice!

6. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I had the Hotcat verb version.
    If you already have played a hotcat then you know the tone. I for one did not care for the amp at all.
    I realize my opinion doesn't mean much!

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Since you already have two great early Bad Cats, I would just buy
    a much better outboard 3 knob Reverb unit like the Vintone Outboard
    or the Jule Amps Santa Cruz Reverb.

I haven't even bothered trying my FX loop, simply because I already like
    the tones I'm getting with various guitars and speakers.

8. vchizzle

Well, I don't have the 100 anymore:Spank
    I'm using the 30 with a VHT 100/CL for my live rig right now. I'd like to get down to a single head rig w/ the possibility of running a line out(preamp out) into a power amp if I wanna run a bigger 2 cab stereo setup. I've talked to James already about getting a line out done on the hot cat. So I'd like just a little more clean headroom than the HC 30. I'm running my volumes a bit above 1/2.

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

Well the 100 R has your headroom and a half power switch
    although it really doesn't cut that much volume.

As you already know it's HEAVY and has all the paint peeling punishing power
    you could ever want in a live rig.

If you've followed my other posts about my preferred rig, I team up the
    100R with my '73 Ampeg SVT 8X10 cab.

It tames the pain and gives me all the guts I need.

10. vchizzle

yeah, I hear ya there. I remember that much. I've always liked the 30 as its a bit sweeter sounding than the 100. The half power switch on it gets a little bit that back that you lose with the higher headroom and brute force of the full power mode IMO. I wasn't really pushing the volume hard enough to get that tone I was after. I've got a good lead on a Custom Shop Hot cat 50R for a good price. I never quite fell in love with the 100 like I did the 30. It's a KILLER amp, but I think my base tone thrives a bit better with lower wattages. If I want that tighter bottom end....I guess thats why I asked James about the line out option, so I could dump the pre of the hot cat into a really tight sounding power amp like the VHT 2/90/2. I think it'd give me those sweeter slighty lower power tones with the option to go into a tighter power section of some sort.
    The Lynx 50 has enough clean headroom for me, so the Hot cat 50R should be comparable there. Acually the 30 will stay clean enough if I'm super careful about my right hand dynamics, but I've been know to be a bit heavy handed at times :D

Mainly I'm just trying figure out if everyone has the verb bleeding into high gain side...if its something I need to address or not.

Thanks sickboy79...any idea what year yours is?

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I think it's an 04 or 05. I'll have to check.

12. kilaf15

kilaf15 Member

I own an '05 HC30R and can explain the problem I had with my amp. When using an ABY pedal with cables to both inputs, dialing up the reverb would induce a lot of noise, treble and buzziness into the OD channel.

This was much more pronounced when the Level knob was maxed and Master set low. The problem was eliminated when the reverb was dialed out. When I maxed the Master and set the Level low, the effect wasn't as severe but still annoying enough to not use the reverb.

I sent the amp back and paid for the fix which was basically an upgrade to current (06?) specs and the addition of a dual-tube effects loop mod. As a result, the amp works as advertised with no reverb issue affecting the channel switching or blending as long as it is all done using the FACTORY pedal and a single cable input to the clean channel. If I try to use the ABY switch and both inputs, I get the same pre-mod problem.

Hope this helps.

13. jeffh

jeffh Member

I had a custom shop 15/30R combo and have a '02 30 watt head.

No reverb bleed with my 15/30R. I didn't like the loop much, but there was a problem with the loop on that amp.

If you can play one of the "R" amps first I would recommend it. They are a little different than the original Hot Cat. I prefer the non R, I know others who have said the opposite.

14. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I have a 30R. I haven't noticed any bleeding through on the dirty channel. FX loop I never use...but the guy who had it before me said it worked great.

15. FFTT

FFTT Member

Since my SVT cab is too big and heavy and my Vintone cherry 2X12
    is so freeking loud, I'm thinking about having a deep 4X10 cab built
    using the same chambered design as the SVT cab.

The depth of the SVT cab and the extra load of those nice old 10" CTS AlNiCo's at 4 Ohms, really gives the 100R a great tone.

They can handle the 100R completely dimed and still at a relatively comfortable volume.

I usually have the clean channel set to about 10:00 o'clock
    and vary the OD channel's master volume.

Settings for the rest are generally Clean Tone 9, Gain 9:30, edge 11,
    Level 3, Bass 11, Treble 1:00, Reverb 11, Presence 4, and mid switch either
    in the middle position or to Treble.

Using the guitar volume and tone knobs makes a HUGE difference
    in what sounds you can get.

The set-up I have with both cabs available allows me to use the 100R for both guitar and bass.

16. Randy

Randy Member

I had a 30R for a while and it did have this issue. Dialing in any amount of reverb affected the tone of the gain channel drastically, adding tons of harsh high end fizz.

I spoke to Badcat and they assured me it was supposed to work this way and that most of their owners loved it, since it added even more tonal options for the gain channel :)roll).

They did offer to 'upgrade' it for free if I paid shipping to and fro, but their line of complete BS on a very obvious design flaw really turned me off and I sold the amp.

Having said that, it had a great thick, complex, grinding lead tone and I'm now looking for a Lynx to try.

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

James is a great guy, but yeah sometimes he tends to put on the schmooze
    about which bands are perfectly happy with all the Bad Cat products.

My 2003 100R is the best amp I've ever owned.

Could it be improved? Certainly, but I'm more than happy with it.

18. vchizzle

Thanks everyone-

Hmmm. This sound like bad news for my situation. I use a GCX/Ground control pro to do most of switching(channels and FX in and out). Which means I'm using both inputs on the front of the amp. It seems there's too many issues or potential issues for me to take the risk of selling a couple amps I like alot and buy one that is possibly going to be problematic for me. Especially not being able to play it first.

I guess I'll either hold out to find a non-reverb Hot cat 100 and have James put a line out on it or order a custom shop 50 non-verb hotcat with the line out. Shoulda never sold the 1st 100 I had:messedup:NUTS

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I've ordered a custom Cub II with the fx-loop. Modulating delay is a big part of my tone and I love the drive sound on the Cub II. The fx-loop is th only way to go. Haven't tried a cub or any bad cat with the fx-loop.

Come on guys!! Does it work?? Is it sweet? Will it take pedals. This is the vbuffered fx-loop with tubes...