Badcat Lynx or Hot Cat 100? enlighten me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sardocasm, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Sardocasm

Sardocasm cupcakes Silver Supporting Member

It looks like I'm going to be selling some stuff off (Tremoverb head and Jmp-1/Strategy 500 rack) and buying a Bad Cat amp. I'm wanting something more dynamic than these amps, but still pretty high gain. I don't play metal, but heavy rock ala Mellon Collie era Smashing Pumpkins, Buckethead, Pixes, Sonic Youth type stuff. I like high clean headroom which is why I'm interested in the 100 as opposed to the 30.
    I know Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree used a Hot Cat 30 and now a Lynx, but haven't heard him since he's had the Lynx. Anybody have any clips or know of any? I would try it out before buying, but unfortunately there don't seem to be any Bad Cat dealers in Washington.

Anybody played either or both and can chime in? Pros and cons of either? What are the cleans/gain like on the amp? Are they very different from each other?

2. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I like the Hot Cat 100 better than the Lynx 50. Mostly because the gain seems more saturated in the Hot Cats. If reverb is of any importance, the Hot Cat you can get verb on and the Lynx I don't think you can.

As a disclaimer, when I tried out the Lynx, I had just changed the pickup rings on my guitar and had the pickups a hair higher than what I normally have them. But when I later played my hotcat 30(same guitar/setup), I still liked the tone better than the Lynx. Its a taste thing though, the hot cat just fits my style better. The 100 and the Lynx are both pretty d@mn loud amps though. The 1/2 power switch on the hot cat 100 help a little bit but gives you a more compressed tone in comparison to full power. I liked the high gain sound more in 1/2 power mode. It's one amp I wish I hadn't got rid of. Here's a clip of the Hot Cat 100 in full power mode doing some heavier riffing. I was trying to showcase the amount of gain this amp is capable of on here as many people don't think of this amp for doing metal.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=505820&songID=4204229

3. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I much prefer the lynx over the hot cat. The distortion is smoother and not as buzzy. It has a lot of power....

4. Sardocasm

Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning towards the Lynx. Now I just need to find some clips of this beast.

5. Sardocasm

Anyone else know anything else about this amp?

6. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

I'm a lynx player. I've never had the chance to play a hot cat 100, however my lynx at 50 watts is very loud. It's just loud enough though that you can get it to it's sweet spot right around show volume.

Vchizzle's description is pretty spot on: The hotcat's gain structure is a bit more saturated, where as the lynx's tends to be a bit more meaty. I've found my lynx to have a bit more of that Marshall-y 'knock' then the hotcat's which I've played, and the added midrange control's are really what make this amp what it is.

The lynx is available with reverb at an up-charge, and while it's nice to have it on board, I'd personally suggest just getting an outboard unit. BadCat's reverb has always left me a little disappointed; it's just a lot more subtle then I like to hear when it comes to verb.

The lynx also has one of the finest sounding clean channels I've ever played through; think big ol' vox with a twist of hiwatt to it.

My only grip with the amp at this point is that the voicing switch on the back is global, and I really love the clean channel with the switch down, while I prefer the dirty with the switch up.

-Dave B

p.s. When I post the clips I'll drop a link in this thread

7. Sardocasm

I think I'm definitely going to go for the Lynx. Can't wait to hear your clips.

8. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Alrighty, I got off my ass and posted some older demos. I'm a soundclick N00b so please bear with me when it comes to the song descriptions and such:

www.soundclick.com/davidbader

-Dave B

edit: Soundclick doesn't show my whole song descriptions so Ill elaborate on them for you here.

The one entitled "Lynx demo" is a track my last band was demo'ing right before I quit. My sound is panned hard right. It was done at relatively low volume,so it's a little bit more pre-amp saturation then I usually care for. I was playing through a friends marshall cab, which I believe was loaded with v-30's. I used my heritage h-575 hollow-body, hence the slight bit of feedback in the palm muted part n the start. No pedals were used on this clip. The other guitarist is using a Marshall dsl-2000 just for reference.

The one entitled "Solo section" is a part of another demo track from the same group. My solo is the first one played of the two, and is my bone stock Les Paul Jr. using the same set up as above, however i'm boosting the amp with an MXR Zakk Wylde OD pedal. That pedal is actually very transparent and I have the gain pretty low.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  9. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i played the hot 100

absolutely kills all the other hotcats

i really like the saturation

your clip sounded great

care to elaborate on the recording set up

mic

pre

eq

compression etc

thanks

steve

10. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Thank you!
    Not much to tell. 2 SM57's, which I believe were panned hard left and right on 2 different V30 speakers in a Splawn 4x12 cab. No external pre, EQ or compression. Just recorded straight into 2 separate channels on a Yamaha AW16G digital 16 track...like I said, no post EQing or any effects on it. I burned a CD off that then turned it into an mp3 on Goldwave(some converter program I downloaded online somewhere). Amp was on full power mode, gain I usually ran around 1-2 o'clock. I'd be lying if tried to recall what the EQ on the amp was.

11. Sardocasm

Yeah, that was definitely one of the best clips I've heard of a Hot Cat.

12. Slowlicks

Slowlicks Senior Member

Did you buy an amp?

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I've got a Hot Cat 30R head - and can only imagine the 100 is just as amazing. The Hot Cat is one of my favorite amps. All the Lynx stuff I've heard is great. I'd like to try one sometime.

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

I own a Custom Shop 100R and have been very happy with it.

It does run very hot and you need some strong power section tubes like SED Winged C's

Eric @ Viking Amps bench tested my 100R delivery about 75 watts RMS clean.

Mine is not buzzy at all, but I also have the two primary gain sockets loaded with
    IEC Mullards.

This amp can be smooth and warm or downright ear splitting depending on your
    settings and your choice of speaker.

The Clean Channel gets you right in there with the perfect AC/DC crunch
    from about 10:00 on.

I set the OD channel to just a bit more gain, but max on about 9:30

In my personal experience, running the Hot Cat 100R through my vintage
    Ampeg SVT 8X10 with CTS AlNiCo's is the way to go.

My 2X12 loaded with an EVM12L and Blue Dog AlNiCo 75 is a true stadium cab.
    The EV holds the low end together while the Weber adds a nice juicy and sparkling
    top end, but it's 30% louder than my 8X10 cab.

I use mine for more of a classic rock tone, than the current metal tones.

The amp can deliver all the clean and overdriven Marshall tones, but also deliver
    some very favorable Vox voicings with the right settings and choice of guitar.

Just one of my old 100R clips with my Ibanez AF105NT Hollow body.

15. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

+1 on good tubes. I swapped out the stock Chinese 12AX7s for NOS Brimars in V1-V4, and RCAs in the rest. Zero buzz!

16. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

The other guitarist in my bad uses a Lynx, great amp! If you're looking for more Lynx clips take a listen to our song "Running With Scissors" the guitar on the right is his early 70's Guild S-100 through the Lynx. The left side is an early 90's LP standard though a mid 80s JCM 800, if you're curious :)

http://www.myspace.com/drewstreetmary

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

This is the mark of a truly fine amp.

Every minute change you make in tubes, speakers, guitars, attack all
    comes through.

18. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i have a non chanel switching non reverb old hotcat 100.
    this is a killer amp.
    takes a bit to get used to how to voice it properly. once you do... look out everything else. it has the fatest tone ive ever heard on any amp. very rich.
    runs super hot, though so you will eat tubes. i like the half power switch, the cleans are spectacular when they start grinding out.
    any badcat will be awesome. get whatever one you want without any worries
    i want the classic . the small one with just the volume knob

19. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Since we've been speaking of the Hot Cat/Lynx - I've been at it with my Hot Cat 30R head tonight. This is honestly one of the BEST tones I've gotten in a long time!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  20. FFTT

FFTT Member

I can't explain why exactly, but my amp tech said that running these amps on half power actually puts more strain on the two active power tubes.

My wall current here is also near 127 volts which is pushing the power tubes pretty much to their max designed operational limit.

I'm glad the amp does not have a built in fan, but when you are not recording, it might be a good idea to run a small fan behind the amp
    to help keep the air moving.