Badcat Unleash/speaker question

Soundhound

I'm thinking about getting one of these, and there's something I'm not quite understanding about the boost function. If the Unleash can put out 100 Watts, is there a danger of blowing a 30, 60 or 75 Watt speaker with it? I'm going to be using it mostly with a 112 with an Eminence Red, White and Blue, and a 212 that has a 30Watt speaker and a 60Watt.

Similarly, if I use it with a combo (say my Genz Benz black pearl) which is 30 Watts and has an Eminence Red Fang in there, is that too much for that speaker?

I'd asked this in another thread, but it sort of was a side question and got lost, so I thought I'd ask it again in it's own thread...

Thanks!

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
100 watt output is a 100 watts. Nothing about the Unleash changes that. You run the risk of blowing any speaker rated less than 100 watts if you're gonna be blasting the Unleash.

Soundhound

Right, only stands to reason. I guess my question to Unleash users then is, what speakers are you using with your Unleash, whether you're using as a boost or attenuator?

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
I'm using mine mostly for the loop. I used to carry around a whole re-amp rig with a separate power amp and a bunch of rack effects. The Unleash does the same essentially the same thing, putting the time-based effects after all of the distortion from the guitar amps, and in a much smaller package.

In my case the amps I'm using it with are older Marshalls. Which means I already had speaker cabs that will handle 100 watts with no problem.

I tried using it to boost the volume on a 5E3 tweed Deluxe clone, but I wasn't happy with the results. I suspect its because I really liked the sound of the 5E3 through the Celestion Blue I have in the Deluxe's cab, but I lose that pairing because I'm not going to hook up the 100-watt amp in the Unleash to my 15-watt rated Blue...

Soundhound

Thanks for the lowdown. Sounds like it's filling a real need on your end.. I guess one of the uses I was thinking of for it, to make small watt heads and combos usable on larger stages/outdoor, I'd want to get a cab with 100w rated speakers... That's how I was thinking of using it with the Two Rock EXO anyway...

If that worked well, maybe with others. I had a Kingsley head that was amazing, sorry I ever let it go. I've been eyeing his simpler, smaller watt heads, Bailey etc. I'm guessing they have that same sound which is great in smaller venues, but with am Unleash I could use them on big stages...

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I'm using my Unleash with my Budda SuperDrives.
I usually gig through a 2x12 with two 70 watt Budda Phat Speakers but I've used at home with a Budda 1x12 combo with a 70 watt Phat Speaker.

I haven't gigged with a 1x12 combo yet but I can tell you that 100 Watts is LOUD.
I can't see ever using it that loud.
I've turned it up past half way at home and it's blowing the roof off the place.

Trending Topics