• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Badfinger's Joey Molland makes a solo album with a little help from his Beatle-y friends

Dr.Twang!

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
1603037081694.jpeg
Just bought this yesterday. Julian Lennon on background vocals. Steve Holley, formerly of Paul McCartney’s Wings, played drums. Micky Dolenz, vocals. Mark Hudson, who produced nine albums for Ringo Starr, helmed the project. Mario McNulty engineered. Great arrangement and super production value. A great effort IMO definitely not “phoning it in”.....2 thumbs up.
1603036932407.jpeg

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
How's the songwriting? I like Badfinger, but it's the Pete Ham songs I remember.

Spooky Action

I like the vocals. Good job there, because Joey's voice is limited.
The instrument tracks sounds bad to me, just like a Ringo album.

IMO, Mark Hudson's work is ironic, considering the talent involved and the beyond world-class recording gear at his disposal. He uses $100,00 signal paths for each track, and the results sound like my 2002 recordings in ProTools 4 using the stock plugins.

Dr.Twang!

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, but he has a Grammy, so there is that......

Last edited:

Wigging Izzout

Silver Supporting Member
I love Badfinger and think Baby Blue is one of the most perfect pop songs of all time, so I've been following Joey and the making of this album for a bit.

I've only semi-listened through so far and any comparisons to Badfinger, to me, are really meant for advertising. I've heard a couple of good songs but much of it sounds throwaway.

My bigger issue (which it looks like @Spooky Action hit on the nose with "Ringo album"), is how generic and boring the instruments sound.

A lot of older pop artists that are still making music appear to me to be working with their contemporaries - guys who've gone over to digital recording in a very basic, "by-the-book" way. Ringo, Brian Wilson, even newer McCartney stuff sounds so boring. I think this is mostly a pop issue; James Taylor still releases beautiful sounding albums.

I wish these guys would take a leap and embrace some younger, out-of-the-box engineers/producers. People from the vinyl-resurgence generation, even if they're analog snobs. I still hear great Brian Wilson/McCartney songs, just filtered through some "2020-old-man-pop" settings. I know the effects on their aging voices might be unavoidable, but the drums, guitars, etc. could be far more alive and unique.

Emitt Rhodes' last album is a good example of a recent well-done record by an older pop guy and I'm sure having a younger, indie producer. Also, Emitt's voice was still beautiful - totally different than 20 year old Emitt, but maybe even better.

Trending Topics