"Badge" effect

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gregb, Jan 15, 2006.

1. gregb

gregb Member

I was listening to the song "Badge" by Cream, and I was wondering what Clapton used. I looked it up, and turns out it was a leslie. Leslie's are on the expensive side nowadays, but is there any alternative pedal / pedal combination that isn't as pricey as a leslie, but gets very close to that "Badge" sound?

2. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

The MXR Phase 90 seened to work well for this tube.

3. rooster

rooster Member

There is no substitute for a Leslie cabinet. Of all the phase/vibe pedals out there, nothing sounds like a Leslie 147. The spinning horn cannot be reproduced electronically. Many say they have done it, but they haven't. If you want that sound, get a 147, a couple of big guys to help lift it, and you'll be fine. Otherwise, anything else will get you partway there.rooster.

4. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

The Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal does a decent job. You'll need to run it into two amps for the best effect.

- OR -

Brian Marshall of SubDecay Studios has a pedal called the 'QUASAR' that gets extremely close to the Leslie vibe using just one amp.

- OR -

Dave Fox's Captain Coconut 2 (CC2) has a very good vibe included, and you also get a Octive and Fuzz effect with the Vibe. Three cool effects in one very rugged box.

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

There continue to be many attempts to re-create the Leslie sound in a pedal. The most recent include the Line 6 Roto Machine and the Boss RT-20.

No pedal exactly cops the Leslie sound because a Leslie is a set of rotating speakers that creates a physical sensation you can't get from a non-rotating speaker. There are other qualities of the Leslie that are a little more easy to copy - the grinding overdrive, the ability to have the highs and lows split and going at different speeds, and the ramping up and down in speed.

The cheapest way to go is the Dano Rocky Road. You should do a mod for unity gain, but otherwise it's decent.

Every univibe clone is an example of an attempt to do a Leslie that failed. But univibes sound very cool on their own.

The top list of Leslie clone pedals are:

Korg G4
    Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere
    Voce Spin
    DLS Roto Sim
    Option 5 Destination Rotation

and the new ones from Line 6 and Boss

None are perfect, each has it's strengths and weaknesses. Funny thing is I only like the Leslie effect on the organ, which it what it was originally designed for.

:jo

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

BmoreTele, Excellent synopsis on Vibes. Jibes with what I thought I knew about it too. It's my understanding too.

Just wondered if you've actually tried one of the new Boss RT-20 live?

I only saw the video of it on the net, and I was just slack-jawed amazed. It sure isnt like a Uni-vibe (which I love the sound of for itself) but seemed like they had succeeded as much as any pedal can to recreate that leslie sound. At some settings it is spookilylike a Hammond Organ.

Have you seen it, or tried it and if so what did you think?

7. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

I did a very passable "Badge" with the Line 6 RotoMachine in stereo and the Drive knob set where it's just kicking in.

I still say for the money you can't beat the RotoMachine.

8. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

SBB - I have only seen the demo videos of the RT20. Less than impressed, mostly because the guitarist was playing an organ patch through his synth pickup instead of really showing what a guitar signal sounds like with the pedal. :rolleyes:

Plus, they're just starting to roll out into stores.

I'll wait and see. I'm waiting on a special MoFaux from Bob Sweet right now. :cool:

9. Straleno

Straleno Member

The RT20 is terrific, I've been using it for the past week. I like it more every time I use it. To my ears, much better than the Line 6 (hundred bucks more, too, so, you know...). Do a search for "RT20" and you'll find the current thread, which has a lot of commentary and opinion.

10. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

If you're referring to the original recording, from "Goodbye", it's George Harrison, not Clapton, who's playing that guitar part. Harrison, Clapton and Ringo Starr co-wrote the song (Ringo coined the title, misreading "Badge" for "Bridge", referring to the bridge of the song).
    About the same time, Clapton recorded the guitar solo for Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

11. drolling

drolling Member

+1, Like real amp tremolo and real spring-pan reverb, the true sound of a Leslie has yet to captured in a stomp box. But I'd like to add a couple to the list. There's the rackmount Dynachord, which I,ve never heard and the DigiTech RPM-1 - also rackmounted, this ones distortion's provided by a preamp tube. I run mine w/horn outputs feeding 2 amps in stereo and a third output for the rotor going to a bass amp. A bit noisey, but no moreso than a real rotating speaker.

12. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I don't know if they still make it, but Mesa used to make a smaller, much more portable version of a Leslie speaker cabinet, intended for guitar amp use. I have no idea whether or not it sounds authentic.

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I played the RT-20 recently both in stereo and through one amp and it was very impressive. Great tone, realistic break and ramp speeds. Is it a lesslie - no. Does it cop the idea well - yes!

It is a great peddal and does it better than any other that I have tried.

14. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

What's different from the regular MoFaux?

Cheers,

Johan.

15. Craise

Craise Member

16. gregb

gregb Member

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks a lot for all your help so far. Keep the advice coming! I'd like to keep my options open. The leslie is such an interesting effect, and more than 30 years later, people are still excited about it. They definately had something going with that... do they still sell leslies? (i'm assuming that if they still do, then they're not cheap)

17. drolling

drolling Member

Just got off the phone w/my little bro, who tells me that the motor in his Leslie has developed a real loud 'grinding' sound that his tech can't get rid of - and there's a tube going bad that he's having a helluva time replacing, as well.

You do realize the thing is closer to a piece of furniture than a musical instrument, don't you? It's nothing compared to his Hammond organ, but it still takes a couple of people to move it..

I'm stickin w/stuff that fits in my gigbag, anymore..

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

It's more complicated to work into the setup (extra amp, stereo signals if you want), but I bought a Leslie 120 tone cabinet for $300. It's a 63 and has no amp, 1x12" speaker (loaded now with a WeberVST C12CA JBL clone), mine has a 1/4" 8-ohm jack for any amp that runs 8 ohms. Two speeds, sounds awesome. There are a lot of pedals that are close to this price range (mostly the ones that simulate the effect). I do know a guitarist who has a MKII Rotosphere I think, he likes it a lot, it's a lot easier to carry than a Leslie. Due to not having an amp and no speaker, one person can pick up and carry the 120 model without too much trouble, though if I play it out often, I will probably get or make a cart for it (probably a rolling road case or something like that). Footswitchable speeds rule.

19. omboy

omboy Member

i have the smaller Rotary Wave. it sounds nice (depending on what you use to power it) and is ok for around the house or for recording. seems way too small for a stage effect, to me. i've not tried the larger version.

20. cameron

cameron Member

I once saw a Molly Hatchet roadie pick up a Leslie, balance it on his beer gut, and carry it offstage.

The Molly Hatchet road crew were some scary looking characters.