1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Badger 18 versus Badger 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FiestaRed, Feb 15, 2009.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I had a Badger 30 for awhile, and while the overall tone was great, it was a bit to thick and creamy for me. Not bad, just not what I wanted. I like a bit more sting, or bite, or twanginess, or pop, or whatever to my tone. I tried it with different speakers and different cabs, but couldn't get it out of the 30. Does this sound more like a Badger 18?

Thanks!
    -Mark

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Wow, this just goes to show you. I would have described my B30 as anything BUT creamy. It had too much bite for me. I haven't tried the 18...

3. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I would say the 18 is more warm or creamy than the 30. The 30 is big and crunchy. The 18 is chimier with less "sting" as you put it. I have both and love them. But it sounds like you would like more of a Fender amp. Like a twin would be good and loud, crunchy and twangy at the same time. Maybe too loud though.

4. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Seriously, do a search mate. There are many many threads on this topic. I know because I was serously looking at both of these amps a while back.

5. FiestaRed

I have done many searches on several forums about the 18 vs the 30. I had a question about this specific aspect of the two amps.

6. jdzialak

jdzialak Silver Supporting Member

I had both at the same time and kept the 30. The 18 has a little more sag on the bottom end. Less punch than the 30. The 30 can do creamy a little. It reminds me of the Naylor DD60 I used to have at times. Similar mids.
    The 18's mids are more voiced like a Vox than Plexi.
    The 30 cleans up better AT HIGHER VOLUMES.
    YMMV

Joe

7. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

18 has more chime (vox like)

30 more marshal like.......

That about sums it up......had an 18, now have a 30....suits me better for classic rock.....love this thing!

8. FiestaRed

Update:

I picked up a 18W and I love it. More of what I was hoping for versus the 30W. The 1x12 came with it too and it sounds great, but it even likes my Marshall 4x12 with G12T-75s.

9. Floor

Floor Member

Have you ever played a vintage Marshall amplifier? The Badger 18 is very Marshall like. Too many people think, that it's Vox-like because of the EL84's, that make it look so on the paper, but that is NOT the case.

The Badger 18 sounds the best of the two to my ear, but that's probally because the circuit in the to Badger amplifiers are very simulair and was designed for the EL84's. But what do I know ;)

10. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Same opinion here. I had to work with tube swaps and speakers/cabs to MAKE it creamier. I think maybe the OP is confusing "compression" and "sag" for "cream". They're different attributes.

11. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

so what's the verdict? 18 or 30?

12. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I say the 30 but opinions vary

13. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I own the B30 and love the clean head room and airy tone. The power scaling is also a cool and useful option. I have not played through a B18 but I hear that they lack clean headroom and don't always cut through the mix in live giging situations. The B30 is plenty loud and according to John Suhr it actually put out around 38 watts.

14. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

The Badger clip and youtube vid that PMcC and Pete Thorn is awesome.
    I called up Tone Mechants and Wild West Guitars if the have in stock so I can drive up there this weekend to try it out but they don't have the Badger 30 in stock only the 18. Bummer...