Badger 18 vs 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by troykennedy, Jun 21, 2008.

1. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Has anyone played these back to back? How would you describe the sonic differences. I understand the technical differences. And I have see both of Pete Thorn's demo's.

But when you are next to them dialed in at about the same gain (breakup) and volume, how are they similar? How different are they?

Hey Pete, if you happen upon this thread, I'd really appreciate your input.

I have the 18 and love it for the most part. I don't really need the extra volume or headroom of the 30. But, how different is the vibe? Are the EL34's going to make that big of a difference?

Thanks all!

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I'm curious to hear responces to this question. I had a Badger 18 briefly, and had to sell it, but I plan on getting another one some day. Now with the introduction of the 30 I could see myself going that way for the extra headroom.

The 18 is so good at those clean-on-the-edge tones. How does the 30 compare in this regard?

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

the 30 is excellent at all the stuff that the 18 is... it sounds a bit more "Marshally" and aggressive, more bass on tap if you want it and more headroom too of course. It's one of my favorite amps. The 18 is great too, and for many players would have enough power and headroom. Just depends on what you're doing...

The EL34's do sound different than 84's for sure- they are less fuzzy at hi gain and are bolder. Keep in mind you can use 6L6 too in the 30!!!

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I still prefer the 18 to the 30. The 30 sounds a little more scooped and modern. I just love the sound of the 18's EL34's on the verge of breakup. But, YMMV

5. KazJY

KazJY Member

I think you mistyped - the 18's EL84s.....:MMM:cool:

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Ya, for sure the 18's verge of breakup tone is one of the best I've ever heard. The 30's I think are real nice too... like the tone I get w/the tele playing the country rock licks in my video demoing the 30....

7. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Thanks Pete. Much appreciated. I think I get what you are saying. Bolder and bigger is probably the descriptor I hear in your demo's.
    Peace,
    T

8. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Just got back from a rehearsal using my Badger 30 combo, and I've owned a Badger 18. The 18 is a very cool amp, but in my opinion, the 30 has alot more character (Marshall that is). The combo has a ton of low end also . . it's very surprising. The 30 has a lot of punch but still has sweetness. The semi-cleans are very Scott Henderson-like.

9. creakyknee

creakyknee Gold Supporting Member

I've got both an 18 and a 30. I thought I would end up selling one, but I don't think I will now. As many others have already stated, the 18 is outstanding for edge of breakup sounds and has a certain looseness and graininess to the OD sounds, which I like. The 30, of course is tighter and punchier, but what really has blown me away is how great the cleans are on the 30. Pete's video is awesome, but the cleans in person were really amazing - I was really taken aback. I have a Port City OS 1x12 with a Scuminco and I just got a RRR running through the effects loop and my wife even remarked how beautiful the tone was.

My playing, sadly, did not evoke similar sentiments in her.

IMHO, the Badger 30 is really an outstanding amp and if I had to have one, I would pick the 30 over the 18.

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I had to buy an 18 after watching and hearing Pete Thorn's (sinasl1) haunting clips, even now still an absolutely killer tone in the video!

Owned the Badger 18 when it was first introduced briefly and thought it was a great amp. I sold it because I simply wanted a little more clean headroom and I had a ton of amps covering the 18-watt range already.

The 30 would solve my main issue with the 18. The power scaling is brilliant and unique tones can be had at virtually any volume.

Only issue I ran into is that the FX loops are useless for me when driving the power section of the amp and using delays. No biggie, I just use the Line Out to my effects into a power amp like I would normally do with my NMV amps with no FX Loops or even a Line Out, using a Hotplate or other Line Out box.

11. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Thanks guys. This is very helpful input.

12. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

ya it's tough to get the big picture across in just a video on youtube! I think as a general rule, if you see or hear a clip of an amp or other piece of gear you are interested in, that's been well recorded, and you think it sounds pretty good- it'll probably blow you away in person. And some clips that sound mediocre to crappy, the gear in them still may be a pleasant surprise in person- a poorly recorded or played clip can be a real terrible thing for a manufacturer of gear, I think.

With regards to the loop- 84's crunch up faster than 34's, you may not have the same delay in loop issues with the badger 30- and you could try Suhr's minimix, that box allows you to turn the loop into a parallel loop...

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I have a question on this.......I had one of the 18's (one of the proto's with the updates) and when playing alone I love the cleans.......with the drive down or maybe up to edge of breakup.....felt thats where this amp shined......I did not like the higher gain on this amp......to sizzly and grainy for me. Also when I put it in a band setting through a closed back with a gold, it got lost.....just didnt cut.

So my question is would I like the 30......I already have a divided by 13 10/20 so my cleans to edge of breakup are covered. I would want this for gain with power scaling more than cleans......are the gains on the 30 stronger....less fizzly and grainy......I want to rely on pedals less.....anyone?

14. shoe

shoe Member

I played both back to back at NAMM and used to own an 18 (currently do own a OD100 Classic Plus). As said earlier, the Badger 30 is more Marshally and more my cup of tea. It also has a solid state rectifier so its a little tighter than the 18 (which has a tube rectifier). The 18 recorded very nicely and with a Les Paul gives you some great early Led Zeppelin. I'm just very happy with my Classic Plus and feel its voiced exactly how I like things and is just much more versatile. I've never had any tone problems due to not having a lot of volume (and I use a low impedance volume pedal in the loop to keep things in check).

15. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Guess a better way to ask is if I didnt like the overdrive tones in the 18 will I like them in the 30?

16. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

It's a great dirty rock and roll amp. I don't think it's a metal amp. It's not designed to be that. So if you want that type of gain, go elsewhere... if you like 70's Marshall tones, you should love it. AC/DC, Zeppelin, Free, Allmans, maybe VH with a bit of boost.... It is definitely loud enough for most band situations. 30 watts usually always is, I find.

My vid on the amp is really accurate- watch at 4:55for the zz top-ish stuff and the LP soloing just after that. That's loud, and probably with the gain on 7 or so. If you like that thick, sort of "mid-hi gain" tone, you should be ok with this amp.

17. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

also- notice how the BOR sounds real similar to the amp cranked, and how the BB has more of a hard rock or 80's metal sound to it, it does the preamp gain sound nicely...

18. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Hey Peter, thanks......thats exactly what I was looking to find out. Not as concerned with its clean tones (although if it cleans up with guitar volume that would make me real happy! ).....just wanted to make sure the gain tones were in the classic rock vein ......I play alot of exactly what you mentioned so if I can get those tones through a closed back 2x12 with heritage greens without pedals I will be a happy camper!!

19. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Ok, figured I would revive this thread.....picked up the 30 and find so far I like it alot more than the 18! Now I would like input on speaker choice that best compliments the head........I am having a hard time making up my mind here!! I have a closed back with two heritage greenbacks, a 1x12 with a gold, and a open back with a g12h and a v30 (havent tried that one yet...)

2x12 with Greens has a darker tone, more mids and a little squishier for lack of a better word........

1x12 with Gold has more clarity, less in the mids more in the highs but not as thick......

For you guys that own the 30, what is the best speaker or combination of speakers (forget 4x12's because I wont have room and wouldnt want to move it if I did!)

20. mik777

mik777 Member

I use a G12-65 in a Port City 1x12 OS.. The sound is really balanced and clear not muddy. I might try a GH30 down the road to see what the differences are. I'm Happy!:phones