Badger 30 vs CAA OD50/100 or classic (+)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lukeII, Sep 11, 2008.

1. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Has anyone had the opportunity to try both of these amps out?How do they compare?. I am especially interested in the OD/Distortion sounds. I wonder which one does the Led zep/ Black Crowes sound better and if they both have the ability to get a good modern rock distortion with tight bass.Thanks for the input

2. samtheman

samtheman Member

....and the winner is: :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao;););)

[​IMG]

/sam

3. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

IS that your Reinhardt storm Sam? How would you compare it to the Fargen Miniplex you had? Brighter, darker more gain less gain? Can you get a clean sound out of it and a dirty sound or is it just one channel.

4. samtheman

samtheman Member

Yes, its Storm 33 w/ PS, mucho more power and headroom than MP2. Not more gain on top, but gain/od is more like old Plexi on 11. It has 2 gain stages and you can switch them w/ footswitch, put gain down and you can get 3D crystal cleans w/ a bit edge, takes pedals very well.

/sam

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I own and use the Badger 30, 18, and the PT-100 variant of the OD100. The PT100 is most versatile, giving you a killer clean channel (think Fender Twin) that takes pedals really well- and ch2 is pure rocking Marshall.

The Badger amps have beautiful rootsy edge-of-breakup tones, very round and organic and they are cathode biased- more thick and juicy, less punchy and transient than the OD100 amps.

If you like tweed tones, 18w marshall tones, old school matchless tones.... and you like simplicity and the great power scaling feature so the amp sounds juicy and greasy at any volume, then the Badger is the amp.

If you need to Rock hard (from ac/dc to modern rock) and need a great clean blackface type channel too, then the PT100 is what I recommend

6. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Thanks for the input Pete. Is channel 2 of your amp more aggressive or less aggressive than the od sounds you were getting out of the Badger 30 in your demo. I really like the demo but would like od tones that are a bit less aggressive.

7. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I always felt the Badger is designed around an agressive AC30/Matchless type EL84 amp and the Suhr/CAA OD100 amps are modded Marshall monsters. They aren't comparable.