Badger In The House!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave_C, Nov 9, 2007.

1. dkochan

dkochan Member

I was going to start a separate thread, but I think I'll just jump on this one.

I took delivery of a Badger Combo last Wednesday. I am beyond pleased!

This amp sounds HUGE. I have been grinning ear to ear from the moment I fired it up for the first time. Great, great tones! I'll even throw out the infamous, "I can't find a bad sound in this amp," not that I've gone looking very hard. I will say that it's incredibly easy to dial in a great sound.

Nice cleans, and no headroom issues so far.

The crunch is smooth, warm and exactly what I hear when I hear the tone "I WANT." It's an amazing feeling when you get a piece of gear that lets you let out what's in YOUR head... Just a great feeling playing this amp. Thanks so much for that, John.

The power scaling is truly impressive. You can really get some screaming sounds at very quiet levels. It's definitely cool, but it's also fun to push the speaker a bit and get a little interaction with the guitar. Great tones either way.

I was a bit concerned about the 1x12 combo. I wanted a big, cabinet-type sound, so I was originally going to go for the head. I went out on a limb based on comments I had seen about what a big sound the combo had. (No place to audition one locally)

They are all true.

I defy anyone to peg this as a 1x12 combo in a blind listening test. It sounds bloody huge!

The Badger is an extremely well-designed, well-executed unit. Very, very impressed.

(I have to say that I have turned into a drooling, unapologetic Suhr fan, between the Badger and the Pro!)

The only question I have at this point is the same as fuchs_meister: Can I purchase a set of tubes from Suhr? I don't want this amp to sound different - ever! Would like to have at least one set of tubes on hand as spares.

Thanks much!
    (another) Dave

2. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Hey there, (another) Dave! Glad to hear you're diggin' yours too! Ironically also (in addition to your great first name :AOK), you took delivery one day before me. Question for you though. Have you been able to get smooth, fat, higher gain single-note tones? I have not...whether using my neck Kinman AVn-Trad or bridge JB. All of the low to medium crunch rhythm tones are there in spades, but I have so far much preferred my Jetter Gain Stage Reds overdriving the Badger for single note work (both low and high gain). I never once planned to get these tones from the amp alone, but I've heard clips (like the Tone Merchant's clip) where guys are getting these smooth and fat single note lead tones, even out of Strats. So far, I haven't been able to dial in anything close. I always end up with something that's pretty thin sounding. Once again, I'm getting more than expected from my cleans and when blending the Badger preamp and power amp distortion with my OD pedals, but getting single note lead tones straight out of the amp that can compete with the blended pedal/amp tones has been very elusive. What's been your experience?

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Cool. Thanks, John. I'll be sure to pick up a spare pair or two in the near future. Regarding matching, I guess it isn't so much straight matching I'm concerned about as it is the "hardness" of the pair in question and where, in an absolute sense, things like transconductance and plate current end up. It seems as though cathode-biased "hot" Class AB designs are more sensitive to that then fixed-biased designs. For example, I can take two pairs of very closely matched EL84s and if the TC/PC figures are different between the pairs (despite the closeness of matching within each pair), they'll sound and feel very different in my Maz 18. So, things like the GT "hardness" rating seem to make a huge difference in these amps...even though they may self-bias within range...and, the Badger is no exception.

WOW, that's pretty intense, John! Sounds like a pretty good method for maintaining consistency, regardless of personnel.

Well, once again, I'm really enjoying the amp and look forward to my first gig with it this Saturday!

Thanks,
    Dave

4. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

This has been a great thread.:drool The descriptions of the tone, construction, flexibility, go get creamy dial settings, pre/post OD, power scaling, Drive, QA/QC on tubes, etc.,. are nicely conveyed. The amplifier sounds like a few tone connoisseurs here have discovered the amp's settings and nature of the Badger. :D

Thanks for a very nice overview of the Suhr Badger.

Look forward to hearing more about this amp.

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Thanks again for the info! BTW, you did write the values on the EL84s installed in my unit. I guess I'd better write them down for replacement before they get burned off!

:dude

6. dkochan

dkochan Member

Dave: To be honest, I have not gone looking for that sound. I am much more of a rhythm "type" player and that's where I go looking for sounds. The Badger has a GREAT vocabulary there.

I'll play around and see what I can come up with.

Dave

7. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Gotta add my kudos to the Badger. I've only had mine a few days, but it is what I've been looking for. For lower volume practice, bluesy dirty clean, crunch, med gain. Just WOW. It has made my pedals obsolete.

8. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

+1 on the Badger. I have really been loving this amp. I mostly use it for a little crunch that will clean up or hit it with pedals. It's just so versatile I think anyone would have a great time with it. And the power scaling is pretty stinkin' great. Hard to go wrong.

9. Dave

Dave Member

I can understand why you'd say that, the Badger overdrives beautifully and is very dynamic, but one of the things that really impresses me about it is how well it takes pedals. Just about every pedal I've tried blends seamlessly with the Badger's tone and the effects loop works really well.

John- you should put a Badger gut shot on your site, that's something to be proud of!

10. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Pedals. That brings up another thing I really like about the Badger. I hit it with a Klon set to clean boost, and it works great. It reacts like an amp that is cranked, but at a lower volume, so pedals I would normally only use to boost an already cranked amp work beautifully. I've not been this excited about an amp in a looooong time. I have 17 other amps to choose from and right now the Badger is getting all the attention as far as practice goes. It won't replace my bigger louder amps in a band situation, but it's ideal for my day to day use.

11. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Dittos on the Badger's affinity for pedals! Until this amp came along, nothing, but NOTHING, touched my Maz 18 Jr NR with pedals. But, once I figured out how to dial in John's little masterpiece, it garnered top pedal amp honors. I am getting the most amazing Dumble tones with the Badger and a couple Jetter Gain Stage Reds. I'm probably the only guy on the planet using this decidedly Marshall-style amp for this purpose, but I gotta' tell ya, it absolutely smokes in this genre. Here are some settings that are absolutely knockin' me out lately. (Cab is a Port City Wave 2x12 with Celestion Heritage G12-65s.) The cleans are just sparkly gorgeous and breakup ever so slightly when really diggin' in, but stay clean when strumming normally. Kicking in the pedals as described below slightly overdrives the preamp and power amp on the Badger while staying just below the point where there's too much compression and a loss of articulation. Really friggin' amazing...

Badger Settings: (Amp is totally stock, except I replaced the Shuguang 9th gen 12AX7s in V2/V3 with Tung Sol reissues. To my ears, they're smoother and more articulate than the Chinese.)

Gain: 3
    Treble: 3
    Middle: 7
    Bass: 6
    Drive: 5
    Power: 8

(The tone & feel stays very consistent from Drive/Power = 4/7 to Drive/Power = 7/10! For me, this output level range goes below the quietest gigs and above the loudest...very cool! Everything's covered. I always practice clean at home, so getting cranked amp tone in the bedroom has never been a goal of mine.)

"High Gain" Jetter GSR: (Dialed in for a bridge JB RF high gain tones)

Volume: 12:00-2:00 (depending on level boost and amp overdrive desired)
    Tone: 9:00-10:30 (to taste)
    Gain: 3:00-Max (to taste)

"Medium Gain" Jetter GSR: (Dialed in for neck and neck/middle Kinman AVn-Trad SRV style tones.)

Volume: 12:00-2:00 (depending on level boost and amp overdrive desired)
    Tone: 10:30-12:00 (to taste)
    Gain: 12:00-3:00 (to taste)

V2.0 Fulltone OCD: (Dialed in for neck Kinman Avn-Trad rhythm crunch)

Volume: Unity (about 10:30)
    Tone: 11:00-12:00 (to taste)
    Drive: 9:00-12:00 (to taste - I'm diggin' about 10:30)
    HP/LP Switch: HP

Get this amp and these pedals and you will thank me...guaranteed! ;)

12. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

I here you on the lower gain rhythm crunch tones! It's really very perfect in that category. I don't need the high gain, fat, creamy solo tones out of the amp directly because of the way I'm using pedals with it. I just wondered if people were successful using it that way...just out of curiosity.

13. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

No, you're not.

Check out the clip I put up in the Member's Soundclip section about 2 months ago. Since then I've found new settings (actually, they are closer to yours), that sound more Dumbley. However, it doesn't really sound exactly like that storied Dumble tone, but you can definitely get that flavor if that's what you want.

14. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Well, I did say "probably". I haven't been watching Badger traffic for very long, so I figured *somebody* would have explored that area, but hadn't actually seen it yet. Secondly, I'm not using the amp by itself to get those tones....and haven't seen that's really possible. I'm getting them primarily from a pedal exquisitely designed to produce Dumble tones (i.e. the Jetter GSR) and then adding some complexity to that basic tone by slightly overdriving the Badger preamp and power amp. So, what i meant was that I haven't heard of anyone striving for Dumble tones by pairing Jetter GSRs with a Badger. Most folks use Fender-style amps when doing that and my point is that the Badger can do it too, when it has the right pedal upfront.

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Yes, the Badger doesn't do Dumble without pedals. I just used a RC booster in that clip, but I also use a BB Pre-amp pedal to get in that general zone.

16. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

YES, I absolutely love the Xotic pedals! I have an AC and a BB. IMO, they're right up there with the Jetters and it all comes down to personal taste and compatibility with axe, PUPs, amp, speakers, cabs after that. The GSRs nail it for me, but I occasionally swap one of the Jetters out for the BB now and then, just for variety. It's great to have so many excellent choices!