baffling in cabs

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by smolder, Dec 20, 2009.

1. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

I have an inexpensive 2x10 sealed cab that has insulation like baffling in it. I have not seen that since the 70's. Newer cabs do not seem to use it. What's up? Is there any reasonable theory to this?

2. GASattack

GASattack Member

The enclosure may be entirely empty, lined, filled or packed tightly with damping material, generally polyester foam, bonded acetate fibre (BAF) also known as pillow stuffing, fibreglass, or long fibre wool, which absorbs internal reflections, and changes the thermodynamic properties of the enclosed air mass from adiabatic to isothermal, making the enclosure behave as though it were slightly larger.

My 'ear' experience has always told me a cabinet with internal baffling in it sounds warmer and fuller ...

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

There are a few new cabs that do use the acoustic materials inside. Bogner, Elmwood and some others. I prefer the cabs with the materials inside as well. I've seen the filler mostly in 1x12 cabs. Although I have a 4x12 packed full of the stuff!

4. onadlos

onadlos Member

I have a Bogner 1x12 built that way. It is my favorite 1x12 even with the OEM Vintage 30; to which I find baffling...