Baggs Para DI Vs Tech 21 Acoustic/Para DI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lwufles, Jul 31, 2008.

1. lwufles

lwufles Member

Hi - has anyone done a comparison between these 2 DIs for acoustic use? I have a Strat style guitar with a Fishman Piezo bridge and a Godin A6 Ultra with an under saddle transducer. The Strat with the Fishman needs a lot of help and the Godin needs just a little. I'll be going direct into a PA system. Any opinions about which of these pedals may be the most functional for my needs? Thanks.

2. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Baggs! The EQ is supremely tweakable.

The Tech21's EQ is garabe, in my opinion.

3. lwufles

lwufles Member

Thanks for the reply. Did you dislike the Tech 21 Mid EQ or all of it?

4. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

A Fishman Aura, or D-Tar Mama Bear?

But, out of the two you listed, the Baggs is great for tweaking an already good guitar sound. But, the Tech21, IMO does a better job of bringing a dead/quacky guitar sound back to life. JMHO.

5. lwufles

lwufles Member

Thanks for that info . . . so it looks like the Baggs would do well on my Godin, but the Tech 21 might be better on the Strat with the Fishman bridge? My price range is more in this range than the Mama Bear range. Any other opinions?

6. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

I would say the Tech21 isn't even powerful enough to take your Strat bridge and make it sound good. Not powerful at all, any of them, not just the mids.

The Baggs can do anything. It DOES take some tweaking, but once you get it... NICE!

7. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Actually, just adding a bit of clarity to my last post. The Tech21 has some additional 'non-eq' functionality that adds the 'little bit extra' that I was talking about. The EQ is acceptable, but that is not the strength of the Tech21 unit.

If I had a choice of one unit, or the other, the PADI would be my first choice by far.

8. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I also go direct into the PA; I have a UST in my Larrivee and used to have a Godin Acousticaster, the precursor to the A6.

I'd like to add that although I've owned both, and would definitely take the Baggs overall, I'll +1 the posts that imply that the Blend control on the Tech 21 might help your Strat with Fishman, where you're sort of trying to add something that isn't there in the first place. It can add a chewy, organic, ballsy quality to a sterile, quack-y kind of tone.

But before the Tech 21, I'd also try the Fishman Aura pedals- the ones that come in different models for the body type of the guitar- for both guitars. Although I don't have first-hand experience with them yet, the clips I have heard sound pretty good, and they are next on my list.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

We use the Tech21 in church, but I gotta say: you've GOT to try the Dtar Mama Bear or the Fishman Aura. My search for an acoustic preamp is DONE. They sound the closest to a real mic'd acoustic, even with my old Parker Nitefly. And you can download new sounds if you want to tweak what you're getting to be more realistic! Only problem is price, but since I doubt I'll ever buy another acoustic preamp (and I've been thru a bunch) it'll save me money in the long run!