Baja Tele Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ACP721, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:18 PM.

1. ACP721

ACP721 Supporting Member

I recently replaced my bridge on my Baja tele but I don't think I adjusted my pickups to the same height as before. It sounds sonically different which I don't think is 100% coming from the bridge swap.

What pickup height measurements do you have for both the neck and bridge pickups assuming you are fretting on the last fret from bottom of the string to the top of the pickup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 6:46 PM
  2. DGA

DGA Member

I just started with the Bill Lawrence nickel method and then adjusted to taste.

burns and ACP721 like this.
  3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I just keep tweaking my pickups until my ears tell me the guitar sounds as good as it's going to get. A ruler knows nothing about tone!

But I am surprised you replaced the Baja's bridge pickup...it's one of the better Tele bridge pickups I've heard. And my 50's Baja is one of the better sounding guitars I've played in 50 years in the game!

bluesoul and Non-Musical Hack like this.
  4. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

He said he replaced the bridge, not pickup.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

:eek:...guess I should have had my glasses on when I read that post;).

6. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

Start here > Pressing the strings down against the last fret, adjust the pickup heights to 3/32" on the bass side, and 5/64" on the treble side. Tweak from there if needed. This is Fenders spec for both pickups.

SnidelyWhiplash and ACP721 like this.
  7. bluesoul

bluesoul Silver Supporting Member

Amen!

Clax likes this.
  8. bluesoul

I do the same...it gets close and then play and adjust to where it works best!

burns likes this.
  9. DGA

DGA Member

To be fair to Bill, his "method" includes fine tuning with your ears. I just added it in case someone wasn't familiar with it and thought I adjusted mine based on a strict prescription.

bluesoul likes this.
  10. bluesoul

It is a good method that gets things close! It is fast and easy...make adjustments by ear from that starting point...yep! For many of us who have been playing for a long time, it is pretty well known, for someone who has not heard about it before...well, it is good thing that you posted it!

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

The Fender specs are a pretty good measure of where to start.
    Then adjust to taste. :cool:

12. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Height is totally based on what it sounds like for me. I personally don't swap pickups. But I know that with Fender style single coils, the lower they are, the more "low output vintage" they will sound. That lets me run the amps hotter without blowing everyone out of the room, so I get a vintage-ish guitar sound, and better breakup.

Want more headroom? go the other way.

Humbuckers are more touchy in my experience. I've lowered humbuckers to balance volume with its partner, but I've never done it to "sound better". There's a point where things don't sound as good. Again, just my experience.

The above is based on starting out with a guitar with average pickups. I wouldn't buy a guitar I know I wouldn't be happy with out the door. So all the guitars I have bought have had average or better pickups.

I totally get the concept of a project guitar, so I'm not hatin' on pickup swaps. I just don't have the time or inclination.

ACP721 likes this.
  13. ACP721

ACP721 Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I tried the "nickel" method and it has gotten me a lot closer to where I was before. Now time to fine tune.