Baja Tele vs Am Deluxe Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geng, May 4, 2008.

1. geng

geng Member

Few weeks ago I managed to test baja tele and was surprised. It was great playing and good sounding instrument, stayed in tune and looked nice. Half the price of american deluxe tele.

lets talk about and compare these two instrument.:BEER

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Never played the Baja, but the American Deluxe is about as good as it gets IHMO. Not quite as bright as a traditional Tele, but a great all around guitar.

3. geng

geng Member

Would you describe samarian cobalt as dull pickups rather than less bright?

4. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

I play Les Pauls, I bought a Desert Sand Baja when GC was blowing them out, I like it so much, that I just purchased a second hand Blonde Baja that cost me more than the GC blowout. First Fender I have ever "bonded" with whatever the cost. Now if they would only make the neck a little bit bigger ...:cool:

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not at all. They're fatter than traditional Tele single coils, slightly more like a humbucker, but dull is not an adjective I'd use. I think they sound great. Very versatile.

If you're looking for Roy Buchanan tone, they're probably not for you. If you want good rock and country/rock tones, they're ideal.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

C'mon, sure the Baja neck could be bigger, but I don't think Fender offers anything that size or larger short of a CS No-Caster. They sure should!

Yeah, the Bajas are nice. I have, um, a few.

The Am. Deluxe is a gorgeous instrument but the neck is so tiny next to a Baja, I can't tell you. Cramps my hand up.
    I was talking a while back to this Lawrence guy, fellah with a dark german accent who knows a good bit about those Am Dlx pickups; he suggested I use L-200 and L-280/290 sets instead. I agree. Actually, I really like Bill and Becky's Keystones. Superb.

On top of all that, the Am Dlx is obviously slated for a thorough re-design so it does not fall behind the newly re-worked AS. To me, it is still about the individual guitar not the model, so I recommend you look at lots of Bajas before you buy some. Hey, if you can afford an Am Dlx, you can afford 2 or more Bajas, right?

Bubbanov

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Is there a reason the Baja's dont have a Rosewood fretboard model? Is it not possible to make a "baseball bat like" neck unless it is one piece maple?
    Just wondering, I dig Rosewood but I've heard so many really good things about used baja's that I might need to get over it.

:band

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think the Custom Shop (was it Greg Fessler or Dennis Galuszka?) designed this guitar with a specific mid 50's guitar in mind. Rosewood hadn't come to Fender yet.

There's nothing inherently wrong with 1" thick Fatback and Boatneck Tele neck shapes in any board type; Warmoth and USACG do a lot of them. I just ordered a real big one piece indian rosewood neck, 1 inch Fatback 1 + 11/16ths nut width which I have great expectations for.

As for being used to one wood or the other, I can't predict if you can make the transistion, no-one can. Just try a few when you get a chance.

Bubbanov

9. Miles

Miles Member

My US tele is blasphemous

duncan 59 in bridge
    Quarter pound in neck

But the US tele necks are irresistable with the rolled board edged and I love the modern C, just great stuff

Baja is fine, but not as much my cup of tea.

10. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I love my Baja Tele. I think it's the best Tele in the Fender line-up outside of what the Custom Shop is building. If they finished them in Nitro and put on a Nocaster sized neck they would be absolutely perfect.

The American Deluxe Teles are nice, but IMO they are more inspired by Tele than actual Tele.

11. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

The necK on my 06 Baja is huge. As I understand it, the earlier Baja's has larger U shaped necks rathe than the current V shape. It feels exactly the same as the CS Nocaster I tried this weekend at GC. The Baja is an amazing Tele and as others noted, I feel its one of the nicest Teles outside of the Custom Shop. I was lucky enough to find a light one with tight neck pocket, butit took three GC's to find it.

12. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

The Hwy One Texas Tele also has a big ol' U-shaped neck. They're worth checking out.

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Absolutely. If you are avidly shopping for players, you may find the Texas Tele with its slightly slimmer (not much) neck girth and 12 inch radius a better fit. I'd likely pull the Texas Specials, which is why I haven't bought one myself. Nice guitar, much nicer body finish than the poly Desert Sand, IMO.

But you have the AV 52, AV 62, G.E. Smith, the Classic 50's and 60's, the Hot Rod; there are so many choices out there, unless you are really hamstrung for availability, it is actually unlikely you'd boil down to the Baja and Am Deluxe as your final two choices. They are two quite different guitars.

The choosing can be one of the best parts,

Bubbanov

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

"But you have the AV 52, AV 62, G.E. Smith, the Classic 50's and 60's, the Hot Rod; there are so many choices out there, unless you are really hamstrung for availability, it is actually unlikely you'd boil down to the Baja and Am Deluxe as your final two choices. They are two quite different guitars."

IF you're lucky enough to have a well stocked shop to run the racks. Slim pickens around here in Delaware, so I usually just research the crap out of stuff here and elsewhere and try to pinpoint something I would like.
    I had a dream last nigh I bought a Tele and the neck was so huge, I couldn't fit my fat fingers around it to play it..... yeah, I have problems.