• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Baker B1-What to pay?

matte

edit: you can get a straightpull with just about any ol' shape
really? do tell. the length of the tuning shafts(to which the tuning buttons extend) limit the shape of the headstock. ron thorn had extended shafts made in order to extend the profile of the headstock. tell me more about any ol' shape providing straight stringpull and please cite examples that don't involve steinberger style tuners.

Woodshed

Is the Bluesmaster straightpull? Those look like cool headstocks--if not, might wanna steer clear of it--don't wanna be outta tune, now do ya?
That's kinda funny, probably not that funny to Matte or Johan, but still a little funny...

Scott

matte

thorn for example: you said it yourself thanks for the help

looks NOTHING like the B3s

looks very cool lookin IMO

Artinger,Chafin -- just off the top of my head. So there are three. How many examples would you like? Is the Bluesmaster straightpull? Those look like cool headstocks--if not, might wanna steer clear of it--don't wanna be outta tune, now do ya?
stright stringpull is very specific and refers to a straight line from the tuning posts to the bridge saddles. though not critical for non trem guitars, it makes all the difference for those of us who use trems without locking nuts.

GuitarGuy510

the position of the tuning posts is critical. not many options available.

Oh yeah I totally agree Matte, I was just saying the way in which the headstock was carved might have been where he was going rather than the tuner placement. I know what you're talking about, the straight string pull (another reason I love Ron's guitars) is VERY important so tuner position is critical for sure. :AOK

Chun13

Both of my Bakers are tune o matic, thus I don't need the special "will stay in tune" headstock. Esthetically, I don't like the new asymetry in the way the headstock is carved nor do I like the new logo, but to each his own. Soundwise I can't compare, that's it.

matte

matte, since you didn't respond to my last post, thought i'd throw another "any ol' shape" at you...PRS! how did i overlook that?

have a good night man....;)
any ol' shape you say? make this work as a straight stringpull headstock, without using steinberger gears.

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Matte - forgive my ignorance.

The G & D on the Gustavsson appear to be slightly angled, is this different from straight pull?

matte

Well, you need only make it smaller. We're talking shape not size. So while that headstock won't work at that size, the shape would work if it were smaller. You can make a PRS headstock larger and make it impossible to be a straightpull without special accomodations.

I'm not arguing size. :)
smaller would do it? how small would it have to be in order to pull the g and d strings in to the right place while enabling the other tuning posts to line up directly with their respective bridge saddles? show me.

matte

Matte - forgive my ignorance.

The G & D on the Gustavsson appear to be slightly angled, is this different from straight pull?
your ignorance is forgiven. the angle of the photo is distorting the stringpull.

matte

pretty damn small

but you've now added a condition

smaller will do it

i'm not wasting my time photoshopping for you to throw another condition in here--you're splitting hairs now

photoshop it yourself
the tuning posts need to form a v with the point towards the end of the headstock, in order to provide straight stringpull. show me how that could happen with the gibson split headstock.

matte

please refer to previous post that starts with "i'm not wasting my time photoshopping.."

because you will simply prove yourself wrong. you are woefully out of your depth here. how many companies have you done r&d for/with? you're a mortgage guy, right? i don't frequent mortgage forums and talk **** to people who call that a career. this is where the line between real players and hobbyists gets crossed.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
Have Patients boyz.
You can now probably ad low serial number Tom Anderson Guitars to this list as well.

:crazy
Nah....Tom's not going anywhere per his announcement over the weekend at andersonguitars.com .....there's over 10,000 of his guitars out there.

FWIW - not a naysayer here, I'm a believer. I've owned 7 Andersons, and my 98' Cobra is the best guitar I've ever owned. Period.

Steve E

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
this is where the line between real players and hobbyists gets crossed.

I'm suspect there are many real players that really don't understand all the how's/why's of their gear. I also would not be surprised if there are hobbyists that know and understand the tools in fine detail.

There is no doubt, however, that Matte understands what works for him.

Personally, I dig Gene Baker's new headstock for his B3 line. I also think Ron Thorn's design (as well as his attention to detail on his custom ordered tuners) is well executed.

Chun13

Frankly, lets keep all the hard ball away would you?

People can like or dislike as they wish. I own a Thorn, I love it to death, I own Bakers, I love them too, Ian loves the new HS of B3, I don't, others do, others don't, hell, it's just a F...... headstock shape.

trap

Gold Supporting Member
you should check out black creek guitars, they have a baker owned by robbin ford going for 21,000 bucks! so let me get this straight, this is the one he didn't keep. so thats why it's worth so much ,huh?:D

mbrown3

I think Chun's point is that there's no need to attack one another just because we disagree on opinions, and I don't think it was directed specifically at you...

Chun13

so, according to you, if we don't like something, we should just keep that to ourselves?

personally, i like to hear opinions on all things guitar, whether or not i agree with them; helps me make an informed decision when purchasing/selling gear

if i know enough people dislike this or that about a guitar, be it headstock or whatever, i might understand that resale could suffer as a result
Hi Rick, indeed, it wasn't specifically directed towards you, just a point of saying that matte and you maybe don't need to fight as hard as you did. SUre, everybody can give it's opinion, but when it reaches to point were both sides are saying negative things about the other people, we're not talking about guitars anymore.

I personnaly don't like the new estehtic of the headstock. Be it a technical reason, fine, I've got non trem equipped guitars so I'm not really concerned.

Peace guys

Trending Topics

Top Bottom