• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Baker Guitars????

rcl

I have a B3 Phoenix. Sort of a tele meets firebird. We call it the telebird some days, other days the firecaster which sounds much cooler. ANyway, very well built instrument, great tone, amazing craftmanship. Oh, and not cheap. Sadly, folks have to make a buck or two, but I'd rather drop the cash into the hands of folks lovingly making instruments than huge companies shipping out crap. I have a half dozen LPs, but my Collings gets the play time. In the case of the smaller vendors, Huber, Collings, Baker, others...you get what you pay for. No idea why the price for a bolt on Fender is so high. Gibsons quality is nowhere near my B3 or my CL-Dlx. I love my LPs, but they all needed extra love and I've had half of them plekked just to compete with the small shop stuff.

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
The "real" Bakers are great guitars.

The crap that Ed Roman put out under the Baker "name" is colorful firewood.

Axdoctor

The originals are some of the best guitars ever built....... and this comes from over 17 years of being involved in the manufacturing and design of guitars as well as working for Jackson, Fender, co-owner of Baker, Washburn/Parker, Suhr and now with Music-Man again.

Please note that I said "some of the best" as I don't want people to start tripping and start a huge battle over which guitar is better.

ER Bakers = CRAP!!

Rusty G.

Gene's a member of the forum and he can tell you all about his guitars. I've got an older B1 and it's a fantastic guitar. Build quality is as good as it gets.

Good luck!

matte

i've been working with gene since 1998. incredible builder, brilliant human. our first project was the b1 7. the man doesn't know the meaning of the word can't.

matte:"can you make 7 string pickup rings?"

gene:"no problem."

matte:"how about a t6 7 string nashville bridge and bar stop?"

gene:"sure! no problem."

builders who (can) make their own hardware (when the necessary hardware isn't commercially available)?

those are the true custom builders.

amc

The originals are some of the best guitars ever built....... and this comes from over 17 years of being involved in the manufacturing and design of guitars as well as working for Jackson, Fender, co-owner of Baker, Washburn/Parker, Suhr and now with Music-Man again.

Please note that I said "some of the best" as I don't want people to start tripping and start a huge battle over which guitar is better.

ER Bakers = CRAP!!
Gil is one of the reasons that the original Baker Guitars are such outstanding instruments.
Here are some of my Bakers and a B3........

Millul

Gil is one of the reasons that the original Baker Guitars are such outstanding instruments.
Here are some of my Bakers and a B3........

One of the very best guitars on TGP. In my wet dreams, it has an Humbucker at the bridge position!

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
While I`ve not owned a Baker guitar personally I`ve had a chance to play a bunch of them both older Bakers & a couple B3 guitars. Definitely beautiful build quality, and attention to detail. But I can`t say they have all overwhelmed me as say compared to some other fine instruments Collings, Artinger, and even some newer Hamers. Again this just sitting and playing the instrument acoustically first and plugged in second. I think it`s hard for any builder to have a homerun on every guitar they build. Again this not meant to be deragatory, rather just my impression. And in fairness, not every Suhr guitar I`ve played has been overwhelming, and those are probably among the finest bolt on guitars available.

Last edited:

les

I own 2 Bakers and they are fantastic! Gene is da man!

Very well make, easy to play, stay in tune and sound great!

Highly recommended!

miks

Baker picture posting! Hahaha. I love my B3. Fantastic guitar that is 110% reliable. It has never let me down. Always a great player and always killer tone. Has not been temperamental like my les pauls.

Gene is an A Class guy to deal with. Always responds to emails and provides service above and beyond. Dont even think twice... if you want a baker and have the cash to drop on one.. i would recommend it without hesitations. Great value for money, great service and seriously great tone!

Videos of my baker in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdaJY95UTuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JPCfFpD7k&feature=channel_page

Bama93

Silver Supporting Member
One of the very best guitars on TGP. In my wet dreams, it has an Humbucker at the bridge position!

Well, the deal is done! I have become the new owner of KT-001!! It is the twin to this one in the thread. I have never owned a P-90 or even played a Baker, but with all of these great stories and photos, I just had to try one!!
I'll give you an update when it hits my door! Black Limba - come to me!
Michael :rolleyes:

Dave Orban

Well, the deal is done! I have become the new owner of KT-001!! It is the twin to this one in the thread. I have never owned a P-90 or even played a Baker, but with all of these great stories and photos, I just had to try one!!
I'll give you an update when it hits my door! Black Limba - come to me!
Michael :rolleyes:
KT-001 is my old guitar, it was actually built for me. And a truly great one it is!

I had to let it go the last time I was out of work, just like I had to let my Andersen Archie go, this time. :jo

In any case, enjoy the Baker. I know that I did! ;)

daveS

lefty dude on hiatus
Here's a "real" Baker B1 lefty out of Santa Maria CA that I used to own. A fantastic creation. I had to let it go in a pinch $$....really bummed me out since I searched for it for a long time and I'll probably never see one like it again. The upside is that I sold it to a very cool guy who really loves this guitar ! Karma.

As for Gene...he's a very cool cat, a monster player and a talented luthier. He deserves all the recognition he gets.
:BEER
-Dave

GAT

Michael, KT001 went out today to you, enjoy it!!

Trending Topics