Baker Jr. Hollowbody Comes Home!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BluePowder, Feb 15, 2008.

1. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Being a member of this fine community has taught me really the finer points of gear appreciation, and more importantly opened up my ears and more importantly my mind to other really quality builders. A close friend of mine and fellow TGP'er Benster got a Baker probably 4-5 years ago through a local dealer here in Singapore. They brought in a total of 3 different Bakers to Singapore. Benster got one of them, 2 of them still hung around in the store. That was about 5 years ago...5 years ago I was still completing my military service here in Singapore unable to afford if at all a boutique guitar.

I told myself the moment I started earning some coin I would purchase the Baker.

And sure enough, the guitar is still in the store. Imagine that! 5 years in pristine condition, everyone has given this guitar a miss, amid all the other commercial guitars brought in by the store. Even till now, there's another Baker in there left unanswered for! I recently graduated from college and started work as a personal banker in a local bank here in Singapore, it's been a really tough one year having to run my ass off on sales targets month to month. Many sleepless nights stressed over work and neglect on my first love - Guitar. But I've adjusted pretty well and I've lately been reaping the rewards of sheer hard work in my job.

This is the first time in my whole year of work that I'm rewarding myself, I decided to head back to Guitar77 (the name of the store here in Singapore) to pick up the Baker.

Here's a picture from the store's website...
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't look all that impressive in the pic here, in fact probably totally different as you will see in the pics I took below.

But the very day I went to check it out with Benster (Personification of a fellow gear slut!), and also my close guitar buddy Brandon (Killer player!); there the Baker was in the spot light. Hanging there it was kind of like my personal excalibur...all shiny with it's understated flame maple top, with mineral streaks as if it was a picture perfect moment from the book Beauty of the Burst. As if it was a '59 lester reincarnate.

I slapped down a $1K Singapore dollar deposit that very day.

A month has passed since then, I couldn't take it anymore; the guitar is home with me right now!

Here are some pics, I hope you guys will enjoy them and share the joy I'm feeling now. :D
    [​IMG]
    A shot of the Baker Case.
    [​IMG]

I tell you, opening up this baby feels like traveling back in time to 2001. All the case candy is still intact. The Baker certificates, warranty card, picks, polish cloth, elixir strings brochure, buzz feiten guide, tools, case key...and get this, 2 Baker business cards!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Open up the damn case already why don't ya!!!!

Here goes folks...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup shot of a portion of the top I took with my girlfriend's Canon 100mm Macro.
    [​IMG]

One more!!!
    [​IMG]

I'm still in complete awe over this guitar. And believe me while I have not ranted a single bit about how this guitar sounds....it totally kills any dual humbucker set neck mofo I've played!!!! So much punch and so much definition, the tone is so creamy the notes just melt off.

To Gene, you don't know how much this guitar means to me; keep doing what you do best buddy! I'll see ya with a B3 soon if I ever become a private banker! :rotflmao

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

This is a great story, a great guitar, and a very well-deserving guy! Congrats!

(BTW, do they fine you in Singapore if you play over 91db?) :)

3. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Awesome.

Congrats, and enjoy the bennies of your hard work!

5. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Cool - I love it when the guy get's the girl - er I mean the guitar in the end.

6. cnardone

cnardone Member

gorgeous guitar. I am jealous. Play it long and loud.

congratulations.

cmn

7. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

Great story!

As one BJH owner to another... welcome to the club!

8. gitman

gitman Member

what a classy guitar - play her in good health !

9. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

Congratulations! Great story with a very happy ending! That Baker will be the perfect antidote to any work-related stress, I'm sure.

10. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

so happy to see you finally take her home, brother!

in the couple of weeks he had it on hold, he literally called me up every few days just to talk about the baker, not to mention several trips to the dealer to see it. LOL!

11. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Damn right brother!

Benster listened to me for weeks, as if I was having a crush on some girl in high school.

Thanks to all who offered me valuable advice on my purchase, fellow TGP'ers, Benster, Emjee, and of course the man himself Mean Gene!

Let's do a shootout soon, I wanna hear how the WCRs sound in your goldie!

12. emjee

emjee Member

Aint life grand?? Glad to help 'Powder! When I found Baker Guitars, it was the end of a decades long search for a set-neck humbucker axe that actually allowed me to play at what I knew was my full potential. It was my first set-neck "boutique" guitar. Play it til ya drop!;):AOK

MG

13. Paulpuck68

Paulpuck68 Member

There is something special about the Baker BJH model. A friend of mine who is a much more accomplished player than myself flat out told me to never sell mine. Enjoy your new guitar.

14. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

That is one nice guitar! I'm starting to feel the GAS for one of Gene's beauties. Rats.

15. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The guitar is simply killer, I'm loving it to bits! Really a very special guitar.

Sent her down to my trusted tech to get her setup, I also proceeded to steel wool just about 5 years worth of grub. A nice swipe of fretboard doctor and some elbow grease...looks good as new now!

16. KennethC

KennethC Member

wow congrats bro! 'Tis a beauty! I'm glad your suhr didn't have to go for this to come in! The fruits of your labour indeed my friend...enjoy!

17. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Great story and guitar!

Congrats and enjoy!

18. Izy

Izy Member

Blue powder,

Congrats bro!!

Played that guitar before! Its a killer axe.

enjoy it!

19. stuartlipper

stuartlipper Member

Whoa! Great story...And I'm the one that traded for Benster's guitar, which was originally made for the artist Joe Jewell...A fabulous guitar!

If Benster's still hanging out, hey Ben! Do you still have my PRS Hollowbody?

Best to both of you.

Stuart

20. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Woah! is right!

You've got a great one Stuart, Benster showed me pics of the Baker and I was literally all over them! :D