Baker NAMM on EBay now--Seen it?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gbc151, Feb 24, 2008.

1. gbc151

gbc151 Member

Curious, as I love Gene's older originals. Anyone seen this? Anyone have one of these NAMM originals? EBay item #250219179147

Lots to bite off financially, but I wonder....

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Price seems a little removed from reality, based on my experience a couple months ago selling a B1 NAMM from 2001. Granted the one I sold didn't have the figured top (it was black) and only had the side block inlays. But we're talking a difference of about 5 grand. And arguably mine was a lot cooler. ;)

Best of luck to him though. If I had money to bet, I'd have it on this item not selling.

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Member

THAT one is spectacular...price is a bit higher than when I sold it, though.

As far as a Baker goes, you couldn't hop to do too much better than that one...especially if it has the Florence Pups back in it!

4. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

That's a very early Baker, great top. $8k is probably a little high. The RF's aren't even that much.......yet.

5. emjee

emjee Member

I think the original spec sheet says "Customer supplied Holmes" IIRC. Anyone who would compare a solid colored, side blocked B1 model and then calling it "arguably" cooler than this axe which is, BTW, an INFERNO (Gene's Top o' the heap, cream o' the crop), one with the trademark flame inlay, a MOP (or it may be AB shell) logo and a spectacular chevron pattern with matching hdstk, and on top of all that an EBONY fretboard. is just not grounded in reality. I own #36,
    and Gene only made these NAMM guitars (with the gold medallion on te back of the hdstk) for the 100th Anniversary of NAMM. Amazing how people will own a guitar and not know what is written on it. Anyway, yes the price is high, but if I think its worth every penny of $6500. Gene doesnt put out anything with this kinda bling even NOW. I mean, you would pay close to that now for a mid-line Baker axe. And in the future, the most collectable ones will be the ones made in small batches. My #36 seems to be the only B-1 (at least that I 've seen) that has the beautiful 3 color TSB, as most are only two color burst. Gene's guy who painted this sure knew what he was doing.

6. Distortion

Distortion Silver Supporting Member

Wasn't this one originally built for Mark aka Marcus McQ?

7. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've seen the exact guitar on sale at Guitar Hanger quite a while ago.

Here's a picture of it, I'm quite a Baker pic hoarder; through all my years of lust I've amassed a whole photobucket with every single Baker I've come across online!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But for the BIN price, it's way too high IMHO.

How much do you think Gene would charge for an inferno type B3?

I've been lusting after these for a long time, having just got my Baker; I can definitely say that Bakers are really unique instruments with uncompromising quality and craftsmanship.

Here are some other Infernos I've come across online.

This one I believe belongs to a fellow very lucky TGP'er!
    [​IMG]
    This one is from Japan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lovely guitars, I've always though flame graphics were downright cheesy but Baker Infenos are simply out of this world. The creme de la creme of Bakers!

I would love to own one some day.

8. Distortion

I believe there were three of these guitars built and they were commissioned by Marcus McQ.
    If memory serve me they were called the Blazing Kanes..
    I supplied the neck blanks for these three instruments.
    I had the opportunity to get one of the three when they were being constructed but opted to pass..
    Guess that might not have been the best decision..:jo

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Pardon my ignorance but who is Marcus McQ?

These guitars look great by the way, I would totally jump on the opportunity to purchase one! :D

10. Distortion

Mark is a good friend of Gene Baker and had the largest private collection of Bakers anywhere.
    I believe at one time he owned close to 100.
    Mark is a great guy with great taste in guitars..
    Many of the spectacular looking Bakers you find were originally owned by Mark...

11. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Wow!

Thanks for the cool factoid!

Would love to check out his collection one day.

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Member

The collection has been disseminated far and wide. Indeed some of the best Bakers you will ever see came through Mark.

The Inferno in question had a Set of V.V PAF's when I got it, I put a set of Fralin's, then had a set of Florence Pups in it for a while and I think I sold it with the VV's in it and the Florence pups in the case...I never got to check it out with the original Holmes pups.

Gene's axes...so cool.

13. emjee

emjee Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

Is this the most outrageous tiger stripe flame you have seen? I think this is also owned by Marcus McQue. If there is ANYONE who has more shots of this work of art, I'm sure I join many, MANY people here on TGP
    who would love to see more of this beauty!!

14. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've seen that pic before too, I would love to see a completed picture of that guitar, that flame is outrageous!

Here's one which I saw on a Japan website,a very unique colour. Dark purple with gold hardware.
    [​IMG]

However I believe it's a Korean one... :(

15. meangene

meangene Member

DOH! An ER Baker hits the screen, GUT PUNCH LOL!!!!

Had to laugh. Anyhow the blue one being sold off wasn't a Marqus guitar and none of the ones pictures were Blazing Kaynes. All Blazing Kayne's had a wooden inlaid fretboard that was hand inlaid by a private individual commissioned directly from Mark, I didn't like the inlay work and would rather done it myself if I knew they were gonna come out like they did, still the Blazing Kayne's were cool but I still prefer the Infernos as I intended them to be.

Wild West got the original Inferno Inlay before we ever even created the name. It was also the C&D guitar that sent Gibson after us for a LP Jr like flame top body with a Baker white moto Inferno inlaid neck. I think Mark at WW still has it in his prized vault of fiddles.

The Inferno was the highest priced guitar we ever built under that roof listing MSRP at something like $6K, thats a very time consuming inlay, I think it took almost 6 hours to cut that sucka, it was one of the earliest complicated inlay patterns I made and later switched to some slightly larger cutters because I was busting so many end mills.

Anyhow always cool to see where the Infernos are going and who's got em.

16. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Cool story!

I remember a link on Wild West to a huge collection of Bakers and other prized guitars, I can't seem to find it on the page anymore though.

Gene do you still do the inferno inlay on fine tuned instruments? ;)

17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Always good to see Mean Gene pop in on these threads. I will say that the Baker RF he built for me is a terrific instrument in every way.

18. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

What would an ebony board Inferno neck by itself be worth then?
    ;)

Agreed that the Blue Inferno on the first page is my absolute ideal Baker ever. Just perfect.

19. Chun13

Chun13 Member

He is also an incredible photographer! He's landscapes are really awesome! He owned so much incredible pieces, my Cherry Bing 055 comes from Mark.

Awesome man with awesome taste indeed!

20. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

That's an Ed Roman, POS