Baker scam on ebay

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by boog204, Jan 11, 2008.

1. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

2. emjee

emjee Supporting Member

How can you tell its fake? I have a B1 NAMM from 2001 and mine has the same gold medallion on the back of the Hdstk, however I hv never seen a B1 with the stairstep block inlay on the bass AND treble side. It take A LOT of chutszpa to try an fake one of those. Not only would it be forging Gene's unmistakable signature but it also has the NAMM gold medallion, there were only of those 100 made (IIRC)

MG

3. boog204

not a fake baker, that was a real custom made baker that you can find on Gene's serial # list, but that seller does not have the guitar. It's been "sold" on ebay at least three times, same description, same wire transfer only payment requests, each time a different seller. There was a thread about it on here a few months ago. Someone on here won the last auction, tried to set up an alternate payment avenue (he smelled the scam) and the seller disappeared. Now I could be wrong, but proceed at your own risk.

4. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Its a real Baker. It was built for Guitar Hangar in CT. That guitar is probably 7 years old now.

5. meangene

meangene Member

That guitar is real, I remember countless hours making it for RPM, I remember seeing this on ebay a few months back and someone thought it was a scam and would swear the winner bidder actually got it. I could be wrong but its real as long as the seller really has it...... That guitar was loaded with every option the buyer could think of.

6. boog204

7. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

8. meangene

meangene Member

I sent him a message thru ebay but haven't gotten a reply yet rather doubt I'll get one either. For the right price I wouldn't even mind having it back myself, MIDI option and all wow its loaded with the kitchen sink. Interesting what you can learn from feedback, look like the person buys a lot of coins but sells nothing.

9. jcground

jcground Member

If it is a scam, it's entirely possible that the e-bay ID was stolen through an identity theft scam. That would explain the same guitar being "auctioned" by several different "sellers" that all have good feedback records. If that's the case, the real owner of the ID is probably not even aware that the ID has been hijacked and is being used to do this sort of thing.

10. Kappy

Kappy Member

Looks like someone bought it for $1725. Wow, what a steal! :D

Nothing to be done to warn the winner with that private auction though. That's a big problem with some of ebay's policies.

11. boog204

yeah I sent him messages too and never received anything in return... i'm positive it was a scam- too many of the same warning signs.

12. Mudder

Mudder Member

Personally I'd never bid on an item where the seller demands a bank wire transfer for payment. That screams scam to me.

I'm impressed to see that "Magnus Opus" of a guitar though...