Baker XS

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by unkindone, Feb 26, 2008.

1. unkindone

unkindone Member

not to much talk about Mr baker...so, just wondering if anyone can show off their xs and tell about it :D

2. fugot

fugot Member

amercian exotic, gorgeous, curvy, full bodied, articulate and complex and rauchy and tasteless depending on her mood...my gal has a huge neck, but it's so easy to play...I like it!!!!
    the wood body resonates when strummed unplugged, it has this chimy fullness to it when plugged in clean.
    I am still not sure what the middle knob does, every now and then I turn it....give me a few more years...I'll get it...

how many total are there, 22 xs + ???3+3 xs"s??? hope it helps...peace

oh mine is korina in natural like in the pics on destroy all guitars

3. stuartlipper

stuartlipper Member

Hey, fugot, thanks for the feedback. I saw one on eBay last week. It looked sweet, but alas, I'd have to sell another Baker to get it, so I didn't pull the trigger, and I haven't read much about them. It went for around $2.6K. Thanks, this helps...

Stuart

4. fugot

fugot Member

Hi again,
    Yes, funny, there were two sea foam green xs's for sale in one week. One here at tgp, and one on ebay, one was mahagony, one korina, can not remember which was which..or even if one was a 3x3....one is for sale now in dealer emporium.

This is my first Gene Baker ax. But wow, I get it now. the resonant body, the big fat round neck, the neck through design, attention to detail...I have zero buyers remorse, and wish I could snag another baker, based on the tone of this xs (#79, btw).

ot: not sure how different tone wise korina is to mahagony in an xs. Is it that they are the same wood essentially, but from different places. Or totally different wood types (Am I confusing korina with limba??-Am I helping now??) peace

5. stuartlipper

stuartlipper Member

Ha! You know what you sound like? Every other Baker owner!

It's good to hear, actually, but I should have guessed that a Baker take on a strat would elicit the same strong emotions that his earlier guitars (of which I have 3) give...

Enjoy - and let us know about it!

Stuart