Bakers & b3

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bikeracr, Feb 8, 2015.

1. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Over the past year, I have developed a bit of an obsession with Gene Bakers guitars, specifically the pre-Roman Bakers and the b3 models (Fire, Wood, & SL models). Having played 3 at various shops across the U.S., I'm hooked. All the reviews in magazines & general comments online are overwhelmingly positive. There just is not a lot of it. For those owners & former owners, would love to hear your thoughts & experiences, and also if there are any other serious discussion of these instruments out there (e.g. other forums).

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

I've owned four Baker B3s and they were all exceptional guitars. I've also owned a PGB Koll and it was great too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Gene Baker guitar.

3. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

I've got a pre-Roman B1 joystick in transparent purple and I absolutely love it! The best neck carve out there IMO. Fits me like a glove. The guitar also looks and sounds fantastic. What more could you want??

Budman

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I've had a b3 Wood for a few years. Great guitar.

5. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I have a very early B1 (#36), possibly the best guitar I've ever owned in my 50 years of playing.

6. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

B3 Phoenix on its way to me now from Infinity Guitars....been looking at them for a couple years....played a couple extensively at NAMM (even Gene noticed that I kept coming back every day to play the Phoenix). I have heard others refer to pre-PBG and I don't know enough to comment, but I own a Tone King amp from just before Mark joined PBG and played his latest stuff....it is all good....

7. amc

amc Member

as a big fan of gene baker's guitars, from early baker usa
    to b3 fire models both pre and post pbg, all are superb
    instruments.

the b3 fire, with it's molded heel, is imho a unique doublecut
    as it has the solid feel and tone of a singlecut.

the"pbg issue" is truly a moot point regarding b3 guitars
    as gene baker is pbg's master luthier, crafting his own
    exceptional instruments.

gene baker is a top tier master craftsman, as talented
    a luthier as anyone building electric guitars today.

8. miks

miks Supporting Member

I've had my B3 for over 10 years and it is the guitar responsible for opening me up to the boutique guitar world. It has one of the most amazing necks and the voice of the instrument is truly unique.
    [​IMG]

9. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

amc - From my limited experience with them I have to agree. Since I'm not a huge fan of single cuts, the fire seems to be the ideal option to get me in LP territory. And I can add a pickguard.

10. meangene

meangene Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Baemer likes this.
  11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Hey Gene, your link doesn't work.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Is that the headless guitar you had at NAMM? Killer looking and playing guitar (and it was a hoot talking to you for a while)...

13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Gene Baker builds amazing guitars....I owned a Baker Robben Ford and it was killer. All the new guitars I've had the pleasure to check out from Gene's shop have been fantastic builds.

14. GEARHOUND

GEARHOUND Member

15. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

one of the best guitars I ever played was a B3 flattop korina body, chambered 1 piece flame top Loved it - stupidly sold it. Inspiring guitar...

16. ttuck

ttuck Supporting Member

I've owned a lot of high end guitars , and hands down my Baker Crucible is the finest I've ever owned! One of the last out of Gene's original shop. I've never owned a JG , but I've played two, and I can say with confidence that my Crucible easily holds its own with both of them. There's something truly magical about this guitar, and a lot of other guitars have come and gone in the many years since I got this one, it's a keeper.

17. meangene

meangene Member

I do plan to make a 6 and 7 version of the headless monster. For how large of a guitar it is its still actually pretty small once in your hands. About 6 inches shorter then the average guitar. Looking forward to building more.

Other cool things that have given birth lately are tremolo SL models aka (B1's), both 24.625 or 25.5 with either a Mann or Floyd Original :rockin

Or for that fact 25.5 hard-tail tom/stops too, and my side block inlays have also made a return.

Around the bend is the SL 7 string, maybe even a Phoenix 7..... Trying to open the flood gates as fast as I can.

PS now available Bartolini pickups and a custom preamp I got them to make for me, pre inspired by the Clapton mid boost circuit available in any model b3 with some cool tweaks. Bartolini's are passive pickups that can use active circuits, quiet as a mouse, beautifully made and I'm not an active EMG fan. I dig what their doing now that they are under new ownership by their long time IT guy Clyde and they are now local to our shop in San Luis Obispo CA. Clean as a bell or mean as hell, let the amp do the work or some simple on board guitar control with the preamp really lights it up. The midboost is super creamy.

Rocket \m/_

18. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Hi Gene,

Love the new headless!

Quick check, slightly off topic, I've recently gotten really interested in Bartolini pickups for guitar, would you have any favourite models to recommend? The website isn't the clearest on how the models are different from each other.

Best,

19. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Received my faded cherry Phoenix yesterday via FedEx from Infinity Guitars...had about an hour of playing time last night....great neck - and it nails a variety of sounds that I use three guitars for now....

Baemer likes this.
  20. Hugh DaMann

Hugh DaMann Silver Supporting Member

How are the "in-between" sounds in positions 2 and 4? Are they "stratty" enough to replace a strat at a gig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dougstrummer likes this.