Bakersfield, Texas Swing, and Honky tonk style playing?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bluesbreaker59, Apr 24, 2008.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Ok, so lately I've been bitten by the bug of early country music, been listening to LOTS of Buck Owens, Hank Sr., Merle Haggard, Bob Wills, a little George Jones and lots of traditionalists like Dwight Yoakam, Moot Davis, Asleep at the Wheel, and Flying Burrito Bros.

How does one learn the styles of say Don Rich, Roy Nichols, Eldon Shamblin, Pete Anderson, Ray Benson, Redd Volkaert, etc??? I just love this stuff, and have listened to so much Buck recently that my girlfriend is threatening to break the cd... Any help? Books? Videos?

I don't like "hot licks" guys like Brent Mason, and while I respect Brad Paisley immensely, I don't know that I really want to ape his style either.

I'm using a Tele of course, strung with 11's, because of the fatness in the bottom end. Been using a thumbpick alot lately too. Seems like a little analog delay is needed, and a little bit of compression so I'm using an AD9 and a Hotcake.

I have a book from Larry McCabe on 101 Dog Gone Good Honky Tonk Licks, and I bought "Country Guitar" by Greg Koch, and I have the Benson "Western Swing" DVD coming. Anything else??? I love low bass note runs, pedal steel licks, and the chord melody stuff that sound like old school jazz.

At this point I've been a blues guy forever, and have been playing real traditional style Texas and Chicago stuff, and some West Coast Swing stuff too. I have almost zero theory, and usually play by ear, and by feeling on gigs.

2. Mowcheeba

Mowcheeba Member

3. bluesbreaker59

Anything else???

I got the Redd DVD's back when they were $65 for the 2!!!

4. bluesbreaker59

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Well, you ARE talking about hot licks imo. That playing is major pentatonics with pedal steel licks and other country embelishments.

Why you would say no to hot licks playing, or Brad Paisley, who is leading the Bakersfield revival makes me scratch my head a bit. Arlen Roth has good vids out on this sort of stuff also, but other than being recorded under the Hot Licks label, probably falls into your category of "hot licks".

Maybe the reason why you haven't gotten as many responses is you are excluding the main recording act, and the top country session guy, along with the hot licks thing for the style you are asking about.

If you are truly not interested in that stuff then maybe clarifying what you are interested in a bit more would help.

6. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Forget about books and sit in front of the stereo with the cd playing and play along with the progressions, pick out the things you can play and fill in the blanks with your own thing. Then find some other musicians to play with and give it a go...

7. glendrix

glendrix Member

The Terry Down vids are great for the style you are asking about, was gonna suggest those.

8. Lammy

Lammy Member

Ive been getting into the same thing, any records to suggest?

9. bluesbreaker59

I guess, what I'm saying is I don't really care to play "really fast" stuff like Mason or Paisley, I'm more into the melodic approach, with the bass runs, pedal steel lick, and almost "pseudo jazz" of some of the earlier guys

10. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

" I had that terrible splashy, clean Blackface tone and nearly vomited."

Dude, this is the tone you WANT TO HAVE now that you're going to be playing honky tonk style!

:BEER

11. spjoker

spjoker Member

Larry McCabe is a good friend of mine and he studied under Eldon Shamblon. You can check out his catalog of stuff..with mel bay and centerstream....etc. He just got his web site up and running. Red dog music books. google that. Also email Larry and he might point you in a better direction.

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Check out Jim Campilogo's website....he has some lessons you can order which are right what you're looking for...........not to mention he's amazing in his own right.

Make sure to study a lot of Charlie Christian.......he's at the heart of a lot of this style.

Also a + 1 on the Terry Downs dvds, especially the Roy Nichols.

Also, there's a nice Hal Leonard transcription book called "Roots of Country"

Good luck.....and feel free to shoot out any specific questions. This is right where I live........

13. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Don't mistake Brent Mason for only a hot country kind of guy.

Listen to some of Alan Jackson's recordings. Brent plays tastefully and perfect for the song, often at a speed and difficulty level that a beginner to the style could pick up.

Pete Anderson's work on the early Dwight Yoakam is also a great place to start.

14. Swain

Swain Member

Maybe check out the Pete Anderson instructional DVD. He probably has some useful stuff, for you.

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

This is one of the most common replies yet it's really not true. If you listen and dissect solos from Roy Nichols, Don Rich, and others, it's very similar to common blues playing, in that it's based off Dominant chords and minor pentatonics. The main difference is that they land on the major third more than the minor third that is commonly heard in blues. It's more the way they play, rather than what they play.

16. Mark C

Mark C Member

Get a program like slow gold for your computer and figure out the licks by ear. Nothing wrong with learning theory or using books and DVDs, but transcribing is one of the best ways to improve your musicality. I'm trying to do more of it myself!