• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Balancing the weight of my SG

jamoed

I own a Gibson '61 Re-issue SG and would love to figure out the best way to balance the weight of this guitar when it's on a strap. I took off the original tuners and installed Planet Waves locking tuners. I also added strap locks. The guitar cannot rest easy when I am playing with the head stock always dropping down. I know this is an issue with SGs but is there some way to minimize this issue?

KazJY

I had the same issue. I have a suede strap that keeps it from sliding (as opposed to a slippery nylon strap, for example). I am just used to it now.

I have heavier Grover tuners on the headstock, which initially made the dipping worse, but helped with the sustain.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same issue. I have a suede strap that keeps it from sliding (as opposed to a slippery nylon strap, for example). I am just used to it now.

I have heavier Grover tuners on the headstock, which initially made the dipping worse, but helped with the sustain.
+10 on the suede strap. Trying one kept me from selling my SG.

jamoed

wow. thats really good to know. i love this guitar to death and have dealt with the weight balancing issue but i want to love this guitar even more. i will look for a suede strap. any suggestions???

dazco

Yep...suede to be sure. They are usually slick leather on one side and suede on the underside. try and find a 3" wide one. It will stick better and be more comfortable by spreading the weight over a larger area.

jamoed

are there any other good straps that aren't as expensive? seems like a lot of money for me right now..

KazJY

I use Levy's or Planet Waves even has some good ones.

Levy's has a "good, better, best" type of selection / pricing too - I liked all of em though.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
are there any other good straps that aren't as expensive? seems like a lot of money for me right now..
I spent $36 on a 3" black suede Levy strap. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to straps and I thought that $40 was ALOT to pay for a strip of leather. However, it solved ther neck heavy guitar issue which made it worth the $$.

disaster

i just use a plain cotton Levy's (I think it's Levy's)- like $10. Pretty much anything that isn't nylon/poly/whatever (like the EB straps) works fine for me.

Trending Topics