Balancing the weight of my SG

jamoed

I own a Gibson '61 Re-issue SG and would love to figure out the best way to balance the weight of this guitar when it's on a strap. I took off the original tuners and installed Planet Waves locking tuners. I also added strap locks. The guitar cannot rest easy when I am playing with the head stock always dropping down. I know this is an issue with SGs but is there some way to minimize this issue?

KazJY

I had the same issue. I have a suede strap that keeps it from sliding (as opposed to a slippery nylon strap, for example). I am just used to it now.

I have heavier Grover tuners on the headstock, which initially made the dipping worse, but helped with the sustain.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same issue. I have a suede strap that keeps it from sliding (as opposed to a slippery nylon strap, for example). I am just used to it now.

I have heavier Grover tuners on the headstock, which initially made the dipping worse, but helped with the sustain.

+10 on the suede strap. Trying one kept me from selling my SG.

jamoed

wow. thats really good to know. i love this guitar to death and have dealt with the weight balancing issue but i want to love this guitar even more. i will look for a suede strap. any suggestions???

dazco

Yep...suede to be sure. They are usually slick leather on one side and suede on the underside. try and find a 3" wide one. It will stick better and be more comfortable by spreading the weight over a larger area.

jamoed

are there any other good straps that aren't as expensive? seems like a lot of money for me right now..

KazJY

I use Levy's or Planet Waves even has some good ones.

Levy's has a "good, better, best" type of selection / pricing too - I liked all of em though.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
are there any other good straps that aren't as expensive? seems like a lot of money for me right now..

I spent $36 on a 3" black suede Levy strap. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to straps and I thought that $40 was ALOT to pay for a strip of leather. However, it solved ther neck heavy guitar issue which made it worth the $$.

disaster

i just use a plain cotton Levy's (I think it's Levy's)- like $10. Pretty much anything that isn't nylon/poly/whatever (like the EB straps) works fine for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom