Ballpark estimate of my guitar's worth please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pseudohobbit, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit Supporting Member

I've been debating trading my Gibson Les Paul but have no ideas what it's worth. Could someone give me a ballpark estimate based on specs? 8.5/10 condition, Gibson LP Standard with gold hardware, 498/490 pickups (if I remember correctly), cherryburst, year is a 1998, 60s slim taper neck, brown Gibson case with the padded cover inside. I'm the original owner and bought new in 1998 from the factory.

Again, not sure I'm really ready to let it go as it has sentimental value, but at the least I'd like to know what it's worth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

I typically start by checking out Reverb if I am going to try and sell something. Did they do gold hardware on those or was it replaced? Not that I payed a whole lot of attention in those days to the standard specs, but I don't remember gold hardware on the standards.

My guess would be $1500-1700 if all original. Less if you want it to sell quickly.

3. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

plain top? I'd say about 1.8K... but I may be wrong. I've only been looking at custom shop gibsons the last few years. The only non CS Gibby I like is a 90-93 classic premium plus. But it is actually as good as any CS Gibby.

4. Pseudohobbit

The gold came as an up charge included free because it took longer to get than expected. As for the top, plain maple with binding of course.

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

A ballpark national retail value would be $1400-1500.

6. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Those are pretty good estimates. Especially if the guitar is in great shape. No worn frets etc.

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Please tell me how your guitar has a slim taper neck when they did not start offering the 50/60 option for four years after your guitar was built.

No, your guitar, like every other Gibson LPS from 1998, has a 59' carve.

10. cardinal

cardinal Member

Wow LP Standards apparently are worth more than I would have thought.

11. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I will venture to say that the gold hardware will lower value.

Does the guitar come with all the paperwork from the factory? Does it have the invoice that states the gold hardware and thin neck options? What is 8.5/10? It's different for everyone! Post some pictures

12. Pseudohobbit

Thanks for the input. Took it to a dealer. Turns out it's worth more than I thought, around $2000. I'm happy. Time to find a trade I guess.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Great!

Let us know what you replace it with.

14. Faded

Faded Member

^This. Check Reverb and ebay completed listings too.

15. Pseudohobbit

Will do. Hoping to get a PRS Custom 22, 24, or 408 or a Gibson ES 335 Studio with a case plus cash on the Gibson. I have a couple of other things in the works. Maybe it'll work out. There's a giant guitar show nearby in a couple of weeks. I plan to take it there.

16. treeofpain

If you take it to the Spartanburg show the end of Feb, you can expect cash offers around $1000 and trade offers a little bit higher, depending on what you're trading for.

As far as the dealer valuation of $2000, you should ask what they will PAY for it. I have seen a lot of dealers do high valuations to please a face-to-face customer, but when it get to laying down the benjamins, they either don't want to buy it at all or offer a much lower number.

17. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

What show is that?

18. 335guy

335guy Member

Now that's interesting. Is that the amount the dealer would pay you for it? Is that the dealer's trade-in value for another guitar obtained through the same dealer? Or is this the dealer's estimated street value?

FWIW, I've been looking at LP's for under 2K, and there are a slew of them. There was a very nice '08 LP Standard Light Burst on Ebay that I was considering. It took the seller over a month to finally sell it, and he finally did for $1850. Ebay typically commands the highest sold prices, compared to CL or Reverb or here on the Emporium. I couldn't move my LP Classic for $1350 on here, Reverb or CL. It sold on Ebay for $1500.

If that dealer will give you 2K as a trade-in on another guitar that is competitively priced, I'd jump on that deal asap.

19. treeofpain

The Spartanburg SC Guitar Show. Here's a info link:

http://bee3vintage.com/Spartanburg-SouthCarolina.htm

It's a really good show, despite being held in a smaller town. It's very accessible from I-26 and I-85. Probably the largest show in the region.