Balls M18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rusty G., Oct 8, 2005.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Does anybody here have any experience with the Balls M18. The clips on the website are incredible. The amp looks great. Have you used it for playing out? 1 X 12 or 2 X 12 version is best?

Thanks,

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

Just ask Red Planet, he's in and out of here quite a bit, he has a Balls amp and loves it.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought you might like some Pics. :)

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The build quality on these amps ( including labor and components ) are second to no one.

The Tone of these Amps are in a realm other than this world.

Clips aint gonna give you what I get to hear on a daily bassis.

I wish you could here what Danny Gork called "as good as it gets."

It was a Fender 52 reissue Plugged into a 2x12 Balls M-18 Cranked and words cant really describe the pristine snarling jag thats comming out of those speakers. You might not even believe what your hearing when you hear one of these.

Danny Gork is the guy that builds them. He uses nothing but the absolute best components he can get his hands on to build these things. He even uses stainless steel screws to mount the speakers in the cab.

The Cabs are works of art. He has come up with some new cabs recently and they are pretty cool looking. I havent seen photos on his website of em but I did see em at his shop.

Also the guy is as nice as can be. I wish I could say that about myself. :D Danny Gork is one of those once in a lifetime guys that when anyone meets them they come away thinking how nice that person is. Very friendly. Very good customer service.

I believe he offers them in 1x12 , 2x12 and 2x10 Combos and as a Head and 2x12 Cab.

I havent heard them all. The 1x12 sounds great and is the most portable grab and go of the lot. The 2x10 is supposed to be very great sounding. The 2x12 is a Monster with lots more thump than most. The Head and Cab is supposed to be the shiznit.

Channel One is a little Hotter than Channel Two (the Tremolo Channel). Channel Two has a littel more Chime than Channel One.
    I use Channel One for Dirty and Channel Two for Clean. Simple as that.

Each channel has two inputs. Each set of inputs has one input hotter than the other. I use the low input on Channel Two and the High input on Channel One.

You need to seriously check these dudes out. :)

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Thanks RedPlanet. Does he sell them direct or through a dealer network? Have you played it out. Volumewise, is it loud enough, or do you wish you had something a little bigger? Have you played it with an attenuator? How does it take to pedals? Do you really want to run a pedal through something with tone like I imagine you'd get from the Balls 18?

Thanks,

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I havent played it out. We've been on a quaetous for some time. I've had it a while and have played at full stage volume at one hell of a party we had over at the Beasley Empire.

You wont have any problem staying on top with this bad boy and you wont need an attenuator. This thing is just right.

For giging Purpouses I would suggest the Head and 2x12. Go for the Cab that has the Two very large Balls cutouts for the speakers. It matches the Logo. Its cool has ****.

If you've got some funds might I also suggest two 1x12 combos. You wouldnt believe what two a these Mothas sound like.

The 2x12 sounds great but like any 2x12 combo its a little heavy.

These amps are the stuff dreams are made of.

What I mean is damn good Amlifiers. :RoCkIn

#1 The Best thing for you to do about inquiring how to get one is to shoot Danny Gork a Phone call or Email and he can tell you where you can get one.

Phone number 423-875-3538 or ballsamps@comcast.net

#2 No

#3 Is it loud enuff?
    Well that really depends on your perspective. At a gig can you turn your 30 watter wide open to get that sweeet sustaining overdrive that we all are looking for ( pedals or not ). Now take the bigger amp and crank it wide open and talk to the club owner about your volume.

Stick a Microphone in front of it and if you need it its there.

#4 Do I wish I had something bigger well I do have something bigger but if I had to choose betweeen any amp I have - the Balls would go with me - the rest would stay.

#5 No need for an attenuator.

#6 It loves all my pedals and I have a few.

#7 You really dont need any pedals with this amp. It does it all. The thing you need with this amp is a good AB Box for Channel switching.

If you heard one of these you would **** your britches.
    :D

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

RedPlanet. . .That's quite a serious, detailed reply. I'm very impressed that you would take the time to include such detail in your response. Thanks. I'm going to contact Danny next week.

Thanks again,

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Your welcome Rusty.

I'm allways willing to help a fellow Gear Pager.

Yes thats a pretty detailed response but thats just me.

I'm not getting a thing out of telling you about these amps.

You asked and got an asnswer.

Good luck with your quest for the ultimate Tone.

Let me know if you need to know more.

I've had a boatload of Amps and this one takes the cake.

10. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

just wanted to second Red Planet's recommendation. I have the 2x10 version and it just nails the tone--notes just pop out--though for what you describe the 2 12s are probably the way to go. great with humbuckers and positively magical with p90s. a beautiful singing tone at almost any volume level. the build quality is as good as any I have seen on any amp.

Corey

11. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I have never played one but that is a great looking amp :dude

Unfortunately I can't say the same about those nasty toenails :p

12. rastaman

rastaman Member

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Those are vintage 1965 toe nails.:D

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Rusty you might want to check out the October 2003 issue of Tone Quest. There is an interview with Danny Gork and a review of the M-18 Amp.

Plus I've been in David Wilsons (publisher of Tone Quest) Place and he keeps one in his guitar room.

And as I understand it a couple months back Billy Gibbons just picked up the 2x12 Combo.

You can also find mention of them in the Febuary 2005 issue of Tone quest.

I looked for links to these but did not find them in the published archives.

www.tonequest.com