ballsy amps around $1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcormier, Jun 16, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

i want a super ballsy, very ballsy, big, fat, power tube crunching class A amp that cleans up extremely well. at around $1500

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

Hey mcormier, i have the balls for you!

I have a 35 watt Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier that is class A
    Runs 4 EL84s and 6 12AX7s with a 5u4 Rectifier tube. The cleans are immaculate and very articulate. A superb amp. This amp goes from super jazz cleans to high gain, but has that super ballsy sound that you speak of. The grit and grind of this puppy is great. I have a wood headshell and a 4x10 combo cab, if your interested PM me. Mint condition with reverb and switchable solid state rectifier. Ill sell the combo for $1000.00

3. mcormier

mcormier Guest

sorry man... im not really into mesas... thanks for the offer though...

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

There are thousands, what kind of cleans/ crunch are you looking for.

Clearly less of the preamp heavy mesas. Hmm.

Combo or head? The entire rig needs to be sub $1500?

I'd look into Bumbox. Dr. Z. Hayseed, Fargen, Orange,

How many watts you need?

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+1 on the Maverick....totally different breed than the rest of the Mesas. One of my favorites!

6. mcormier

mcormier Guest

watts... 20 or more...

combo or head... dont matter... would like the whole rig to be say sub 2k (head and cab) and sub 1.7k (combo)... i have a orange rocker 30... too much gain.. i may consider the AD-30... what are your opinions on the ad30? also... im considering an old 50 watt hiwatt

7. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I am a little put off by the anti Mesa attitudes on the Gear Page, what's up with this?

I own a Mesa F-50 and it was purchased new after I tested just about every major maufacturer - Peavey, Marshall, Vox, Fender, gibson etc. I had also done some research into boutique amps but still felt so happy with the F-50 that I didn't look too much farther.

The F-50 has superb cleans, smokey and woody almost like an EL84 amp but with the sparkle of the Fender clean, and the dirty channel goes from a nice breakup sound to a full blast almost medal range (the amp is a little shy of metal territory, though I have heard others make it sound real hard core).

Anyway, the amp is built like a tank, is very versatile, has a wet/dry effects loop that is very quiet with no discernable effect on tone, along with a great master control that allows me to get pretty decent crunch at low volume.
    The only drawback for my is the reverb, it is a little weak to my ears, but I also own a DRRI...which I A/B/Y with the F-50. BTW, I use the Tonebone Radial switchbox and love it.

Anyway, I wish someone would explain to me the obvious anti Mesa bias around here, and please, skip the Mesa sucks, or Mesa is to sterile etc. etc. There are numerous Mesa models and each one has it's own merits and strengths, but what I see around here is more of a general "Mesa sucks" spirit.

I honestly wonder if it isn't because of all the major manufaturers Mesa holds production standards that rival the boutique crowd, and are priced in the "near boutique" range, so our TGP amp builders. sellers and owners feel a need to defend their product.

Could this be true?

BTW - There is a long thread on the HCF about this amp with some truly stellar clips..especially from Dann the Man...there is also some other guy who has some great clips too, but I forget his name, Dann hangs out here maybe he can provide that fellows name.

8. mcormier

mcormier Guest

any suggestion on a ballsy amp?

9. B Vance

B Vance Member

10. daphil

daphil Member

What "class A" supposed to mean? EL-84? AC30CC or Hayseed 30?

If you take out the "class A" thing, I'm thinking Marshall Bluesbreaker or JTM-45 type... That's the balls I like but maybe not yours...

11. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Maybe a Heritage Briton II?

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

You asked, so here's my opinion. I think the people who are biased against Boogies predominantly don't know how to dial in amps with more than a few controls. They don't know how, OR they just don't care , as they prefer simple amps. I only own 1 Boogie currently (A Tremoverb combo) but would most definitely own more . I love them. I love too many amps and they are just 1 great choice amonst lots of great amps.. ALMOST Every single band I see in concert has at least 1 Boogie on stage.

ERIC

13. Madsman

Madsman Member

If class A isn't mandatory, I vote Flexi. :)

14. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I have a DRRI that I absolutely love and probably would never get rid of. It is outfitted with Weber F150 speaker and all NOS tubes. The combo is like butta. No screechy highs and even has a fairly tight bottom.

I have also owned Marshalls, and Peavey's.

Point is I have nothing negative to say about any of these amps builders, they all are unique in there own way and many of the amps they make are simply fantastic.

But when I hear someone say all Boogies are crap. or the SUCK or they are all lifeless and sterile, I call shenanigans.

15. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I believe the Hayseed is class AB1. But, it does meet the ballsy criteria...especially with original Hayboer iron and 2x12 configuration. I'm running mine in a 4x12 config and the bass can be overwhelming.

However, I think there are a number of amps that would fit your ballsy description.

16. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

As for Boogie amps...I owned one of the first prototype Mark IV's for a little over 5 years in the early '90's and it sounded great. But, I spent more time dialing in that amp than really enjoying playing it.

17. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Matchless Chieftain 2x12 combo if you look around hard enough. I love mine, big rich sound comes out of 'er.

18. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. It's a 4 EL-84 amp with 12ax-7s in the preamp. Comes in verb and non verb. Saw Michael Burks play his (he also had a Delta 88, which is discontinued which is very ballsy too), and he had a full range of sounds. He used a Flying V, a Strat with EMGs, and what looked like a Les Paul Historic of some stripe, and the tone was surperb throughout the set. I've seen heads go for about $1k and 2x12 combos go for around $1300 or so.

I own a Maz 18 Jr, which sounds great, but it might not have the huge headroom you want.

19. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I'd love to pickups a Maz 38 Sr. I'll second that as well!

20. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

+1 on the MAZ Sr...great amp and my Fave Z amp. It roars, chimes and is built laike a tank. Good used heads for $1000-1100. Great amp that I hope to own again someday.