Band Drama. Which song so you like better?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by earthmud, Feb 15, 2009.

1. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

Update below!!!! The lowdown post #12

:argueNeed to settle a band issue. I will explain more later. These are two versions of the same song. Which do you like better and why? One has vocals and one doesn't but it's the song structure itself I'm wondering about. Looking forward to any and all opinions.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=621096

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

2ND. Electric over acoustic

3. jtindle

jtindle Member

4. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

5. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I like both of them.

Is it too much to suggest an acoustic intro and move into the cool electric vibe?

6. earthmud

Acoustic or electric wasn't the issue. Thanks for the replies and don't hold back when it comes to opinions on either version. Once I get to ten or so opinions I'll go into the issue at hand.

7. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Neither actually... I feel like both is missing what the other has.. combine them maybe?

8. semore butts

semore butts Member

9. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The acoustic version should be an intro and an outro to the electric version. On it's own, the acoustic sounds like a concept the writer did with his acoustic and an H4.

11. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Definitely electric.

12. earthmud

Thanks for all the replys. Here's the deal. About a month ago I joined a new band. The vibe seemed pretty cool. We were all supposed to be able to colaberate on all the tunes and take turns at writing( or so it said in the ad). The electric version was a tune I wrote. Everybody in the band seemed to love it. They told me after the first practice If I didn't come back they were going to stalk me so I was feeling pretty good about it all. This was only the second band I have played in. Last weekend I got a text from are singer saying he came up with some lyrics. I was getting really excited about hearing it with words to it. So I get an email that night and there was version 2 acoustic. He had pretty much changed everything about the song that I thought made it good. The guy writes a lot of cheesy songs but I never said a word. I would just play leads and fills over the top of all the tunes he wrote which he liked. He made a few negative comments about a couple of other tunes I wrote which once again I didn't say a word. So he calls me the next day and asked me what I though of his take on my tune and I told him in the nicest way possible that I thought the original version had a cooler vibe to it. That was all I said. He was shocked. He could not believe that I wasn't dropping my panties over his version. He started getting really angry and told me if I didn't like it then I should write something better! In my head I thought "I already did". A few hours later I get an email saying this is his band and he only wants to play his songs and that he didn't think I should show up anymore unless I was willing to be his lead bitch. So I wrote him an email back saying I didn't think there was enough room for me with his gigantic ego taking up so much room already. The guy sucked at guitar and I think he was getting jealous. I'm no guitar god by any means but I don't think I suck. I'm self taught and have been pretty much a bedroom player for the last twenty years. So anyway I was glad to hear that most of you prefered the electic version but I didn't want to influence peoples opinions by saying what the deal was. Also that electric version was just a quick one take with many f###ups on the rythm and the lead and no editing so thanks for not bashing it. Will I ever find a band with cool people that are willing share in the writing process? We will see. Peace J

13. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would learn how to sing, and write your own lyrics. Its hard for people to write songs without ego's getting in the way. Something about the electric version sounds familar though. I think its the chorus. Seems similar to another song, but I can't figure out which song it reminds me of.

Good luck with the drama.

dk

15. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Sounds familiar, I think I played with that same singer ;) Don't give up, there are plenty of cool easy to get along with musicians out there. In my experience, that type of attitude can come from an insecurity about their own playing, and the better the musician, the easier they are to get along with.

Shawn.

16. rnm14

rnm14 Member

Man that singer has been passed around a lot, I believe most of us have played with him at some point or another.

But seriously, run don't walk. If such a minor thing is getting blown out of proportion it will only get more ugly from here.

17. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

You lose your mancard for calling a petty argument with your bandmates "drama".

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I find it can be so frought with peril, working on a song and getting
    someone else to write the lyrics.

Personally, I hate writing lyrics, very few (like a handful out of 50)
    of my own lyrics meet my own standard. But every now and then I have tried to colaborate with a lyric writer, and suddenly the lyrics are all.
    "spread your wings and fly" and just....maudlin, or like a 14-year-old wrote them, with the same cliche's and non-interesting stuff. And THEN you have a problem.

Have to find people that are open (I'm open to changing the music) to take a song a different way, but when it comes to lyrics...

If I have to sing them, they have to be something that I can "sell" while singing. I would defer to a person if THEY have to sing it, but still would have problems if it wasn't good lyrics.

I couldn't listen yet to the versions, as I'm at work.

19. earthmud

How bout a cock fight then?

20. earthmud

I hear you. One of his other songs contained lyrics like, The grass is greener on the otherside, your the cats meow, and it takes two to tango. It felt like a prechool anthem. I have lyrics but singing screws up my timing.