Band In a Box?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bluesmostly, Apr 25, 2005.

1. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I know this kind of thing is probably out there but can you guys recommend something?

I would like a drum machine type unit that I can program to practice original music with. Would be nice if it had bass line and keys maybe...

This kind of unit you would hook up to a stereo I would imagine... Thanks!

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Do you find Band in a Box insufficient for doing this? What's your budget?

3. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Do you mean the "Band in a Box" is actually a product? I just thought I had come up with a good phrase to describe what I am looking for...:rolleyes:

I don't really have a budget. Will this do it for me?

Thanks, David

4. onemind

onemind Member

David,

Band in a box is a Software Application that allows you to enter chords and create backing tracks in seconds. it's now in like its tenth version. The interface is really homely but it has actually become a pretty powerful program, you can have drums, bass, keys, etc. There's lots of info here...

http://bandinabox.com/

Steve

5. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

It has no keys but I'm loving my Boss Dr 880. Can be had off E-bay for $400-$450

My "Band in a Box" search is over.

Easiest machine to program I have ever come across. Best new piece of gear I have bought in a long time.

:D

Kevin

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

No problem,

I think if you have a budget, this will be a very good solution. And it's made by your fellow countrymen to boot. ;) I got the package that cost around $80. and I still use it heavily to woodshed over changes. Like a previous poster said, its interface isn't amazing, and I personally find it very disheartening that it doesn't support odd time signatures (at least nothing higher than 3 on the version I have). But other than those two foibles, it's a really terrific app with some nice bells and whistles. If you can hook your PC or laptop up to your speakers, then you're all set. If you want BiaB to sound better, you can get all kinds of midi sounds and whatnot to improve it, but then your cost starts rising.

Hope you find it helpful.

7. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

I should mention, I don't have a computer at my studio. I need something that I can hook up to my stereo or PA system. I suppose I can make up tracks on the BIAB and then burn them onto CD...???

8. EVT

EVT Member

I have had my eye on the dr.880 for a while now. I am a hardware maniac! Do you like it better than groovebox. I have an mc-505 like a lot. But, it seems that the dr.880 would be better for some good drum sounds.
    evt

9. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

I can't compare it to computer based, not having owned any. ( allthough I did look at the manual for Cubase with Groove agent long enough to see it was more computer jargen than I wanted)
    I have owned Alesis SR16, Zoom 123, Dr 3, and none of them even come close to the Dr880.

The more I play with it the more I love it. For an at home guitar player like me, I can't recommend it enough. In fact I would consider it before an amp if needed.
    As a learning tool, composing tool, or jammin tool , it is the real deal for me.

Kevin