• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Band member availability

hvactech

Silver Supporting Member
Wanted to get a feel what is the norm or what is expected in terms of band member availability. Been in a band recently ever since this covid stuff and its been pretty busy actually which is cool. But a few times a get a call or text about if I'm available for a gig in two or three days and sometimes I'm not. Which is normal to me since we all have lives. I don't want to say this band isn't serious because I generally take everything seriously but Its definitely not my day time gig. I also worship lead at a church and have a mid week practice also which limits me one evening and Sunday mornings. I'm also asking because a few times the band leader asks me in our group chat if I can cancel my prior engagements about these short notice gigs and has brought up before, in front of the band, that dates I had blacked out for an anniversary cost us gigs, which is kind of annoying. So what is your bands policy on availability?

Whats4dessert

We use the Cozi.com online calendar so everybody in the band can see the gigs we've booked. Each band member has access so they can mark any unavailable dates way in advance. Our band has substitute drummers and bass players available (we're mainly an oldies/top 40 band so we're playing songs everybody knows.) If the bassist and/or drummer can't make it, we'll still gig; if either the other guitarist or myself can't make it we don't gig.

TheClev

As seen on TV
If you habitually play last-minute gigs, there are going to be times when the scheduling simply doesn't work out. I don't think you're being unreasonable for saying no on occasion because you have other plans. It's not a crime to have a life.

Cedar

I decided I want to play with guys who make playing in a band their number one hobby, not one of the things they do in addition to softball, fishing, hunting, off-roading, etc.

Perhaps that is unreasonable, but I want to play with guys who really LIKE playing and make it a priority (after all the "important" stuff) in their lives, because they like playing.

Been in bands where at least one of the guys was fishin' or huntin' every weekend and not available for any gigs--annoying.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
OP, it depends. I played in a band that the lead singer would take any gig at any time for any amount of cash. Usually we would spend 6-8 hours driving to a small bar to play to 20 people and end up make enough cash to cover the gas and some food. After doing that for 2 years I started to get him to say no, or turn a one off gig into a mini tour with 2-3 stops.

More recently, my drummer plays in a few bands and it is very difficult to schedule any weekend shows that are not months out. Personally, I would take a weekend gig on 2-3 days notice, and probably decline a mid week show unless it was with a "name" band or $$$.

Barquentine

I decided I want to play with guys who make playing in a band their number one hobby, not one of the things they do in addition to softball, fishing, hunting, off-roading, etc.

Perhaps that is unreasonable, but I want to play with guys who really LIKE playing and make it a priority (after all the "important" stuff) in their lives, because they like playing.

Been in bands where at least one of the guys was fishin' or huntin' every weekend and not available for any gigs--annoying.
Couldn't agree more. I won't have guys in the band that are playing with other bands - it ALWAYS causes problems.

Tahitijack

We rehearsed a couple days a week. Possible gig dates were brought up so anyone with a conflict can voice that at a rehearsal. We all agreed that family comes first. If the band leader continues to bring up you costing the band gigs, I'd pull him aside and tell him to knock it off, its not productive unless he is attempting to get you to quit the band. I'd look him in the eye and ask him why he's doing that over and over. Stop living in the past chief.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Everyone keeps the band shared Google calendar up to date with their “block out” days, well in advance.

If 3 or 4 major gigs can’t get booked because of the same person then discuss if the band member and bandhave the same priority.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
While I'd be happy to cover a gig with a couple of days notice if it worked out, I think it is unreasonable to regularly operate that way.

People have lives and responsibilities. Expectations that you'd drop them at the last minute for just some gig is unprofessional, imo. If it were some sort of big opportunity, that could be another matter.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Our band learned long ago, if you have 2-3 days notice I’m probably not available. When we aren’t dealing with the Rona I’m generally booked a month or two in advance for sound gigs.

SCorner394

Uh, I guess I need a band or gigs or both to qualify for this survey. Just lay it out and have a general idea of what everyone expects from each other. I hated being in bands where everyone was elusive about details as far as availability.

Aaron Mayo

Once you know the details you can tell them yes or no. If it’s a “no” the why is none of their business.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom