Band member wtf moments....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Memphistokid, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

So during last big money gig 2 wtf things happened.

We were playing with a brand new drummer and a sub bass player so everyone is a little on egg shells. This is also one of our regular higher paying gigs mind you. Two songs into set 1 a dude comes up to our other guitar player/mgr and says he plays harmonica and asks to sit in. He is then semi ignored by everyone else as we begin to go into the song. He plays off stage in front of us as we go into it until wtf moment #1 happens:

During the guitarist's solo our Singer gives the harmonica guy the mic to blow...He's okay, but he proceeds to jump Onstage and take over the solo as the other guitar player gives this wtf look. I update our singer as that is such a big no-no I couldn't believe that happened....Not my solo so I don't care. During my turn to solo, I give him so space and do my thing till the end of the song.

Singer later says this guy has been around the circuit a while and he's known. During the break, I guess they all hash it out since "the guy is known". Okay so I'm like whatever. Before we go on guitar player says "During this so & so song, the harmonica guy asked if we knew any blues and can he take one of the solos (there are 2). I say sure.

A modified blues song in "E" is chosen and we go into it in set 2. Wtf moment 2 happens....

His solo section starts....DUDE FREEZES..... he maybe squeezes like 10 notes in 16 bars. Here's the wtf part, the guitar player gives him another solo after another verse and chorus....DUDE FREEZES AGAIN.... WITH LESS NOTES....Again my guitar player gives an outro solo.....YEP, 3 TIMES HE FREEZES....Friggin Frosty the Snowman style!

Mind you he got 3 chances and I got no love during that blues song but comped to keep this "know musician" on track....

This guitar player/mgr seems to do that with guest musicians. Gives featured solos and whilst neglecting to inform us at what usually is our appointed time (been in the band 1 year and it's happened to the drummer and at least twice to the bass player, me 3 times). Normally I wouldn't mind...if it was like at a dive bar or something. This was one of our higher paying gigs tho....

End of the night I was pretty irritated by both members. Has any of these wtf? Really? moment's happen to yaall?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    johann, Turi and 27sauce like this.
  2. jo2012

jo2012 Member

Not even kidding... Had a guy do the same thing to me and my band at a local bar gig. He asked if he could sit in on Harmonica and I said no but then during our ending jam song, he just hops up and starts wailing away on his harmonica. He obviously had a few beers too many.

Memphistokid likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I was on the other end of that one time. A band was playing Cat Scratch Fever at the strip club, and we were sure we knew the words.
    I'm not even sure why my buddy & I both wanted to sing, but we jumped up there & froze, both of us.

Turi likes this.
  4. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Lol, I had to check your profile to see if you were my band member....

Bobby D likes this.
  5. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

If I don't personally know the person and know they have the goods I will never encourage a sit in. on the other hand, when I'm hired as the sideman the payer/leader/client can have anyone sit in that they want - I get paid the same.

Jamalot, gmann and MrLahey like this.
  6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Time to find a new band!

7. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

Bouncers. Security personnel. Be on a 1st name basis with them. Make it a point if your at all seroous about what you're doing onstage. Problem solved.

aliensporebomb and PFunk like this.
  8. Norsegod

Norsegod Member

Harmonica players, unless I know them they aren't sitting in and even then..

9. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

My exact sentiment! I know this myself! Unwritten code right? You'd figure the musicians gigging twice as long as i would already know that....

Turi likes this.
  10. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Ayyy, no bueno! I guess imma blame the inventor of the harmonica in that case hehe!

11. BigSB

BigSB Member

Nobody sits in with a band I run unless I've heard them play first and I'm sure they're not there to grandstand or advertise their own band's gig at the venue.

Never had it happen to me, but I've seen it happen. Semi-drunk small contingent wants their friend to go "sing a song" or play guitar or whatever... they think their friend's local lousy cover band
    is great and should be getting free advertising on the backs of someone else's group.

OP excluded, because I don't know them and haven't heard their band... this kind of thing happens to scrub cover bands all the time.

If so many of these sports-bar heroes would treat their band truly seriously, they wouldn't allow for so many things that sabotage live gigs.

You go to a theater show by a band you know... there are no scrub strangers asking the featured band to sit in. The show is THEIR show for a reason.

You have to get invited to sit in with any band worth its salt beyond a certain level of experience/expertise.

12. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

A few years ago at the end of our last set I'm soloing away on one of the last few songs when I watch our singer (who was pretty drunk by then......) reach over to grab my SG off the stand. Keep in mind, this is a guy that can sweat about 10 gallons of nuclear, toxic sweat in about 5 seconds and can knock a guitar out of tune by just looking at it.....Anyway, as I'm wailing away, I watch him reach for it and about the time he got his hand around the neck and started picking it up, I completely stopped playing, grabbed it out of his hand, and told him to keep his f***ing hands off my guitar....all while my amp was howling feedback. He acted like I just kicked his dog and said that he just wanted to wail away with me.....on an unplugged guitar.....and he can barely make simple chords, much less solo....so he basically wanted to air guitar along with me on my SG. Afterwards he gave me the WTF and I lit into him about never touching my sh*t again. And for good measure the next day (when he was sober) I told him the same thing again.

13. reaiken

reaiken Member

All bars should have metal detectors at the entrance.

To detect harmonicas.

14. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

MAN! I would have loved to have seen that! You tearing him a new one that is!!!

jo2012, Turi and ggwwbb like this.
  15. Gallus

Gallus Member

This. Every time I hear a request to sit in from a harp player, I die a little on the inside and think, "Jesus, here we fkn go..." Something about that instrument that attracts a very special kind of clueless.

16. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Harmonica is one of those instruments that many drunk dudes say they can play...and because they can easily slip it in and out of their coat without a lot of necessarily needed equipment to carry, they are prime candidates for an embarrassing moment. Unless it is a jam, no. If you need to play nice to a "known" player, let them know that you can chat about it during the upcoming break. They will usually get the clue...

Why do they ask? ...Because some Bands actually listen to them and let them play.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  17. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Exactly....I'm thinking if this guy was a "known guy around the circuit", he should've known better. At a dive bar hole in the wall yeah, at an establishment a little "higher class", hmmm.....I don't know. I'm actually more surprised and dissapointed that my band members didn't have the common sense to prevent something like this to occur.

Turi and Gallus like this.
  18. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

I'm just gonna put this out there as a contender for the 11th commandment...

DON'T ASK TO SIT IN ON SOMEONE ELSE'S GIG.

Sheesh! How is this not freakin' obvious? If you've put in the hundreds of hours of band recruitment, phone calls to agents and venues, money organisation, equipment audits, set list planning and logistics, then you don't need any explanation. And if you haven't done all this work leading up to the gig, then don't force the guy who did the work to be the dick who has to explain why he's saying, "no."

AND, if you're good enough to ask to sit in, then you don't need to sit in. If you're good enough, it's because you've got plenty of experience playing, so surely you don't need to screw up someone else's time.

PLEDGE: I HEREBY VOW NEVER TO CRASH ANYONE ELSE'S GIG. EVEN IF HALF THE GUYS ARE FORMER BAND MATES... EVEN IF MY VERSION OF PURPLE HAZE IS GONNA BE THE EPIPHANY FOR WHICH THE UNIVERSE WAS CREATED... EVEN IF I CAN REALLY SET THIS GIG ALIGHT BY IMPROVING EVERYTHING THE BAND IS DOING WRONG... I WILL NOT ASK TO SIT IN. I WILL CLAP AND CHEER AND NURSE MY BEER AND ENJOY THE VIBE, SO HELP ME CLAPTON.

Brooks, Bobby D, Pedro58 and 12 others like this.
  19. Gallus

Gallus Member

Yeah, I hear ya. It seems particularly reckless in the circumstances you described - unfamiliar backline, higher paying gig etc... How hard is it to say, "Might be a bit much on this occasion, mate. Maybe another time, yeah?"

BADHAK likes this.
  20. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Sounds like your band is not ready to be playing professionally, let alone making big money. You guys must be the ABB reincarnate for an audience to sit through that.