Band on "Late Night" with Seth Myers...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Shredzilla, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

has got to be the worst house band on any TV show I have ever seen. They really need 3 guitar players to play that same generic crap that they play every night ?

On the upside, the blonde chick is kinda cute.

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Was kinda shocked to hear them myself ... not anyway near the quality of most of the bands.
    With that being said however, at least the show has a live band as a few other shows do not.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I really like them.....they're different, interesting and cool.....IMO....

4. guitarjb44

guitarjb44 Supporting Member

I feel the same- pretty amateur. I'm pretty sure that every member of the band suffers from "Meg White syndrome". Either that, or they are severely dumbing-it-down to be able to get and hold a great-paying steady gig (no harm in wanting to pay the bills).

I looked up the blonde guitar player on-line. Her name is Marnie Stern. She gets props, but it's from the type of people who write for SPIN magazine: i.e: pretentious art-school idiots. (Yes, that's a huge generalization- but I think you all get the point...) I also listened to some of Marnie's music- its about as ridiculous as I expected.

But...to each his own. One persons "art" is another person's horse ****.

Joe

5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Fred Armisen is not so great on guitar, IMO.

6. robbinsteele

robbinsteele Member

love her voice..and playing..jk

7. RedRock

RedRock Member

Agreed.
    The band sucks big time.

8. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

They are pretty bland.

9. jhc

jhc Senior Member

it's tough when the first comparison many will make is with the Roots

10. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

I remember Seth talking about what a great musician Fred Armisen was. Fred must be hiding it very well. I have never seen him do anything other than strum a major chord- not even joking.

11. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

12. micycle

micycle Member

I think Fred's there more for novelty than musical talent. The show itself is dreadful, and I'm a fan of both guys when they're in their proper respective elements. Fred belongs in goofy sketch comedy and Seth belongs behind the camera in the writer's seat (or on camera in much smaller doses such as doing the SNL news.)

SNL has been equally as bad since Seth left as head writer.. hopefully NBC Dr. Evil Lorne Michaels will right all of these wrongs but I'm not counting on it. I've watched SNL religiously since the late 70s and this is the first year that I've been truly disappointed. Seeing Seth & Fred on late night seems like a misuse of some really great talent.

13. CDP

CDP Member

That show is a train wreck, and the band seems to match the rest of the show. I'd bet they are actually way better musicians than the material allows for, and by "material" I'm referring to "the crap that they play while the cameras are rolling".
    Same can be said of the host, Seth's much better and funnier than the show seems to allow him to be. Miss him on SNL.

14. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I saw them once, and thought they were a deliberate hipster/indie/lofi band. Not pros at all like all the other TV bands.

15. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

This.

The point of the band was to give the show a different feel than the other more polished late night shows. Whether or not it works or is successful is another matter.

Personally for all their talent, the Late Show band and Jay leno's band bored me to tears.

Fallon got it right with the roots, and I think Conan got it right with the Max Weinberg 7. Plenty of great musicianship, good banter with the host, just enough irreverence to keep it light and funny.

16. MahavishnuGretsch

MahavishnuGretsch Member

can you guys embed a video of this guys playing? i've never heard them, and a youtube search only leads me to interviews on the show...

17. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Fred is so much funnier the Seth. Wait, maybe I shouldn't say funnier, that would imply that Seth was funny.

18. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

No, but I can post a Bassoon quartet playing the intro and outro music. They closely match the excitment and energy level of the 8G band.

Here's some Marnie Stern for you too.

19. guitarjb44

Perfect description- nail on the head. However, I'd bet they don't think of themselves in that way at all.

Joe

20. guitarjb44

If I didn't know better I'd think that Marnie Stern video was one of those SNL parody sketch videos. Like a hipster Spinal Tap-type version of a "When Will The Bass Drop"-style parody.

Joe