• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Band practice panic. Just made the band but having second thoughts.

stratotastic

:rotflmao

Unless they have you on salary or retainer, tell them to go **** themselves with 20 songs in a week. And any real band knows you sometimes have to change keys to accommodate the vocalist(s). Sounds like a bunch of children who have no idea what they're doing. Just be honest and tell them what you can realistically do and they can take it or leave it. If you can sing and play guitar decently, you shouldn't have much trouble finding yourself a band.

Kyle B

Silver Supporting Member
* 5 songs in one week is ALOT. Be happy you got 6. If they expected more, they expected too much
* Song & key selection ALWAYS follows the singers range, not the other way round. I don't sing... but I understand THAT much for sure. You can't force a round peg into a square hole.

The Captain

I knew you guys would come through with some great stuff. I feel a lot better about it. Just took a break and checking my TGP. I think 20 songs was too much to realistically expect. I'm now up to 6 fairly solid and I think I can sort of fake another two with some strategic non-playing to cover some parts I don't have down. Yes, singing lead for most songs and playing rhythm guitar. So a tall order for an amateur with full time job. Was told they did not want to deviate from original keys. That is revealing...

They are covers so some are familiar or I know the main melody at least. We are playing to backing track because their drummer is away this week but they did provide me with the drum tracks which was nice. I just prefer a live drummer who can adjust to anything that might (will) go astray rather than a relentless backing track. Will let them know I'm not fully prepared but would like to practice 6 or 7 songs and get those down tomorrow. They seem like reasonable guys so I hope they will relax a bit. Maybe this is a test?

Anyway, back to the woodshed and thx for the supportive words and helpful hints.
After my last post, I did some basic math.
A 40 hr work week would give you an average of 2 hours per song to cover 20 songs in a week.
That's an unrealistic expectation.
If you have done 6 well, that above and beyond, not a disappoitment.

soulman969

Maybe a good excuse to improve my vocal range. Just need to do that safely in lessons not trying to shout over amps and drums in rehearsal.
And it may be. I've gotten some vocal coaching over the years that's helped but age and wear and tear can still reduce range over time unless you're very lucky and can retain it.

Volume, a really good vocal mic, and a PA and monitors with enough power and clarity to hear and be heard are essential too. If I can't sing in my normal singing voice without straining and shouting to be heard even in a rehearsal then we're too damn loud and I'll say it.

Unless you're a metal or hard rock cover band where all of the vocals are simply top of vocal register screaming you need range in pitch above and below where you're singing and you also need vocal dynamics for louder and softer and the accompaniment needs to respond to that or musicality often goes out the window. Unless you enjoy "freight train rock" that is.

Baminated

Defintely pick the tunes you can sing comfortably that fit your range to where your voice sounds best. If any of the 6 are too high or even just a little, drop it.
Then just go to the band with the ones you can do without giving yourself vocal damage.

Tell them the others are out of your range and you cant do them in those keys.
Put the ball in their court.

Your vocal health is the single most important thing here

You have to be able to sing 3 one hour sets at most cover gigs.

doctorx

Whenever I join a band I look at like I am auditioning them as well as they auditioning me. Both parties set rules and limits.

I would not join a band like this. I would not play with backing tracks if they are not gigging. No way would I even attempt to learn twenty songs in a week unless Lukather quit Toto and they wanted me to take his place.

Dave Shoop

If your schedule only allowed you to learn one song in a week I guess the question is how important is this to you ? Joining a band you should be excited and bust your butt to learn as much as you can asap. One song in a week is weak. If you want to be in the band I would be honest and ask them to give you one more week to do what needs to be done. ( not implying 20 songs but at least a good chunk of them ) If I were them and the new guy could only put in the time to learn one song I would not be happy. I'd give you one more week to get serious about it or just tell you it isn't gonna work out.

The exception would be if they have no sense of urgency either and it's a low priority for all involved. Lol

Oh and never be forced to sing songs that aren't in your range. It will sound bad, hurt your ego and your vocal chords.

Read your follow up, 6 is plenty for a rehearsal. The band should be fun and not crazy stress. You made a great effort if you have 6 down.

Last edited:

amstrtatnut

This sounds like it could go either way. They could be happy with your progress.

Id have a serious chat about keys and vocal range. Of course, some songs dont wont right if not in original key cause of the riff. (Open E, A, strings etc)

If they cant or wont transpose then, different songs are in order. If they cant or wont then........you may as well quit while its early.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
If you are expected to sing stuff outside of range that's a deal breaker for both you and the band. Be honest, tell them your situation. If still want to play don't be lazy and get to work learning the stuff! I've dealt with bands I really wasn't excited about and I didn't learn all the tunes, but I didn't end up playing with them long. On the other hand there was a band I wanted the gig really badly and I learned they're entire setlist in 2 weeks 55 tunes (I knew a handful, learned all rhythm changes but only did the leads I considered "signature"). I got the gig!

ToneDeVille

Silver Supporting Member
Take the 3rd option. Keep things open and honest. Otherwise you're digging a hole
for yourself that will only get deeper.
But if the whole thing is stressing you out then let them know you're not in a position to commit to such a rigorous schedule of rehearsal at this time. Perhaps they will be willing to dial it back a bit.
If those ideas don't work out for you then just let them know you're going in a different direction and can't participate.
But above all, get some perspective...it's a band...it's not like you've signed on for a major tour that's paying you big money. So it's pretty low on the scale of priorities in life.

Baminated

This sounds like it could go either way. They could be happy with your progress.

Id have a serious chat about keys and vocal range. Of course, some songs dont wont right if not in original key cause of the riff. (Open E, A, strings etc)

If they cant or wont transpose then, different songs are in order. If they cant or wont then........you may as well quit while its early.
actually, and i am only speculating, but i have heard that the digitech "drop" pedal faithfully reproduces the dropped notes - so the signature "open string" riffs can be done in other keys, provided the reports are true.

That would require the bassist having one as well as the guitarist (s), and a keyboardist using his transpose button (sometimes shifting from a black to a white key or vice versa - can be awkward "feel wise")

stratotastic

After thinking about this a bit from the perspective of my own band (and to play devil's advocate), what songs are we talking about here? If it's all the run-of-the-mill cover band fare, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the band to expect the OP to come in with 20 songs ready to go. I know if we accepted someone into the band and they didn't already have a working knowledge of the standards (you know...American Girl, Sweet Child, Play That Funky Music, Livin' On a Prayer, etc.), or at least have enough history with those to dust them off and have them ready to go fairly quickly, I might be concerned.

Trending Topics