Band question-getting practice regimen in place

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by buzzp, Apr 25, 2016.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

So I've found some pretty solid players that are all around my age and in my area. We've jammed together about 4 times over the past 1.5 months. Really cool dudes, full-time jobs, doesn't seem like they have any real issues... but it's impossible to get a regimen set up. There's always something going on with someone. IE. The bass player has overtime work, the drummer is going out of town, the other guitar player has family in town. I'm a really busy individual myself, but I ALWAYS make time for practice/music/jamming, above all else.

What should I do? I don't want to turn the guys off, but I know what it takes to get a band off the ground and I think we have a really cool sound going on I feel like the bass player is the only other player who has played live as much as I have, so he gets it, but he's super swamped at work.

2. James_E

James_E Member

Doesn't sound like you have a hope of getting a "regular" rehearsal set up.. so you'll have to move it around as necessary.

Perhaps use a google calendar or google spreadsheet.. share it to all band members. Have everyone mark down dates they are unavailable to rehearse or gig.

From that information you can find dates that you can rehearse. If you can't find any dates that work, or people keep bailing at the last minute.. then perhaps you shouldn't make a band out of this group of people... as music is not as high priority for them as it is for you?

Madsen and ibis like this.
  3. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles. we practice every second Wednesday from 8-10:30ish.
    its known to be that way every 14th day. Rule is #1: be there unless someone died or is in the ER. no ifs and or buts.

buzzp likes this.
  4. buzzp

buzzp Member

Yeah, I'll probably need to bring up the google calendar idea. Hopefully it works out. Thanks dude.

5. m@2

m@2 Member

I second the google calendar idea... makes it so all have same visibility and can update as needed :)

buzzp likes this.
  6. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

My band uses a Google Calendar. It works great. We use it to schedule practices, gigs, and blackout dates.

Some of the guys in my band are not tech savvy whatsoever and have a hard time with it. But, they have figured out group texting. So, when someone needs to add a blackout date or inquire about available dates for gigs they just text the group and I do the legwork. Once you have the calendar stuff figured out it takes just a few seconds to look stuff up or add things.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

Rule #1: The guy in the band with the busiest schedule will always refuse to use any sort of online calendar.

JiveTurkey and Madsen like this.
  8. Madsen

Madsen Member

this is a universal problem with trying to maintain a band. people have lives which will eventually prevent them from playing at some point or another.
    kids, jobs, spouses/significant others, addictions, personality quirks, diabolical sabotage & events outside human control are all well known issues.

proably a good idea to propose the Calendar idea to the current batch of people i'm playing with, as frustrations are currently mounting.

9. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

HAHAHHAHAHA

it will never happen.

10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

AKA the guy who puts other hobbies above playing in said band. Drives. Me. Nuts. This is the only thing I do, so quit planning other sh!t on our dedicated band practice night.