• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Band rant!!!

cust22

So I had an outdoor gig this past Friday. We had the place packed, even celebrated one of the singers family members birthday.
That's where the positive stops!
The drummer has been with the band for about 8 months( we're together 3 years). He hasn't played in a while, but was putting in the effort and has gotten quite a bit better.
It just seemed to fall apart Friday. He started songs wrong. His tempos were way off(painfully slow). Skipped sections, and cut songs short. Even got irritated when I told him we go 2 more times before the song ends. Out of 3 sets the first was a total disaster, 2nd and 3rd had their good and bad moments.
The singer/2nd guitarist came to me just before we started a song on 2 occasions and asked me the chords to the song.
We practice once a week, and even that is frustrating. No one comes prepared, and I'm teaching songs when we should be rehearsing.
I even took 2 songs out of the set because they were a disaster at practice.
And my last complaint is the singers(2, one male and one female) still read the lyrics off their phones. And I caught the female texting when it wasn't her turn to sing.
I was so disappointed and frustrated I almost quit on the spot...I'm still seriously considering it !

End rant...Thanks for listening

So I had an outdoor gig this past Friday. We had the place packed, even celebrated one of the singers family members birthday.
That's where the positive stops!
The drummer has been with the band for about 8 months( we're together 3 years). He hasn't played in a while, but was putting in the effort and has gotten quite a bit better.
It just seemed to fall apart Friday. He started songs wrong. His tempos were way off(painfully slow). Skipped sections, and cut songs short. Even got irritated when I told him we go 2 more times before the song ends. Out of 3 sets the first was a total disaster, 2nd and 3rd had their good and bad moments.
The singer/2nd guitarist came to me just before we started a song on 2 occasions and asked me the chords to the song.
We practice once a week, and even that is frustrating. No one comes prepared, and I'm teaching songs when we should be rehearsing.
I even took 2 songs out of the set because they were a disaster at practice.
And my last complaint is the singers(2, one male and one female) still read the lyrics off their phones. And I caught the female texting when it wasn't her turn to sing.
I was so disappointed and frustrated I almost quit on the spot...I'm still seriously considering it !

End rant...Thanks for listening
Sounds like it's time for a new band, new members, etc. When you feel like you're the only one who cares to put on a decent show, that kinda says it all.

geoangus

Silver Supporting Member
Wow - WTF happened? Was this a “favor” gig and your crew didn’t put in any effort, or is it that you’ve been together 3 years but haven’t gigged in 18 months and forgot the drill?

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
How old are the band members? Not that it much matters, because it all sounds like maturity and respect issues and they know no specific age, but the texting while performing sounds like something a younger person might do...but don't hold me to that.

It sounds like you need to have a 'come to Jesus' meeting with the band and get a real gauge on who is serious about it and who is not. Make adjustments as necessary when you find out.

cust22

Wow - WTF happened? Was this a “favor” gig and your crew didn’t put in any effort, or is it that you’ve been together 3 years but haven’t gigged in 18 months and forgot the drill?
No, a paying gig. Gigging is a bit slow but we've at least one a ,month since June

How old are the band members? Not that it much matters, because it all sounds like maturity and respect issues and they know no specific age, but the texting while performing sounds like something a younger person might do...but don't hold me to that.
You called it...the offender is 28, everyone else is in there 50's

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
@cust22 , looks like you've been on TGP for a long time. So I take it you've been playing for a long time. Man...from my perspective, you've been at it for too long to be dealing with the kind of issues you described. If it was me, I'd think about starting a new band. I've done it before and I'd do it again.

amstrtatnut

:dunno

Ive come on these threads before and said, things like, "find a new band," "fire them", etc. But, there is no one size fits all answer. Its hard to have perspective when you have skin in the game.

Maybe just give it a few days to make sure you arent deciding when you are upset at the band.

JLR

Explain to your band members that rehearsals are not for learning the songs, it's a validatiion if you've done your homework or not...not rocket science. Learn the songs on your own time, not someone else's time. I would also tell your singer that texting on stage is unprofessional. Next time it happens she's out, no questions asked. Very disrespectful to band members as well as the audience.

jaxjaxon

Clearly the other just dont give a ****. When I am in a band I want to know what songs we are going to be doing before practice so I can have them down close and refine them during practice.

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
I went through something similar a few years back. Perhaps you can handle it like I did. Since I was the nominal leader, at one rehearsal I sat everybody down and put it to them something like this: “Do you want be a performing group or do you just want to get together once a week and play for fun? It’s OK if you just want to get together and play for fun, but if that’s the case I don’t want to be the leader and I don’t want to gig with you anymore. Like the rest of you I will just treat it like a jam band, showing up and playing to have some fun. There will be no pressure. If you really want to be a performing group, however, then this is what needs to happen: Everybody needs to show up to rehearsals on time, with the material well under hand, and ready to play. When we do perform, there can’t be any questions about what needs to be done. We need to have our material down pat. A performance is not the place to figure out songs, and I don’t want to be part of a group that does that. I will respect any decision the rest of you make, but the decision has to be unanimous and if you decide you want to be a performing group, I expect you to commit. I’m really fine either way you vote, but I need a clear answer.” Then I called for a vote. In my case, the group voted to perform and showed a renewed dedication after that. In fact our next gig went spectacularly well. Maybe in your case, you can say that if they just want to play for fun, then you are out. Just an idea.

jjaaam

I went through something similar a few years back. Perhaps you can handle it like I did. Since I was the nominal leader, at one rehearsal I sat everybody down and put it to them something like this: “Do you want be a performing group or do you just want to get together once a week and play for fun? It’s OK if you just want to get together and play for fun, but if that’s the case I don’t want to be the leader and I don’t want to gig with you anymore. Like the rest of you I will just treat it like a jam band, showing up and playing to have some fun. There will be no pressure. If you really want to be a performing group, however, then this is what needs to happen: Everybody needs to show up to rehearsals on time, with the material well under hand, and ready to play. When we do perform, there can’t be any questions about what needs to be done. We need to have our material down pat. A performance is not the place to figure out songs, and I don’t want to be part of a group that does that. I will respect any decision the rest of you make, but the decision has to be unanimous and if you decide you want to be a performing group, I expect you to commit. I’m really fine either way you vote, but I need a clear answer.” Then I called for a vote. In my case, the group voted to perform and showed a renewed dedication after that. In fact our next gig went spectacularly well. Maybe in your case, you can say that if they just want to play for fun, then you are out. Just an idea.
Excellent approach!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom