• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Band/Show Etiquitte - please learn it.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
Man, last nights show was a cluster f**k. We invited a friend's band (they're friends of our drummer. I don't know them well) to play with us. It was supposed to be a favor to them as it was their first show with this new band. They accepted the show and - a week later insisted on playing first. Well, it's a Wednesday night show so that's the prime spot. We still obliged. They were supposed to go on at 10 and didn't end up taking the stage until 10:45. They were supposed to play 45 minutes max. They played 1:15. When we finally took the stage, they packed up their gear and left halfway through the set...which was fine since they talked through the part of the set that they were there for. Sheesh.

For me they broke some pretty elementary band etiquette rules. So, this is a PSA - if you're breaking any of these, you're probably being a tool. :D

What are some other rules that you can think of that may help out other bands starting out?

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Reading through your description of the evening, it became obvious that your first mistake was assuming these people were your "friends".

Part of what makes a evening "work" is when whoever's in charge, takes charge. "Insisting" on the prime slot? Going on 45 minutes late? Playing a too long set? Bailing immediately afterwards? There's no way I would have put up with any of that ****, let alone all of it in one evening.

2HBStrat

Reading through your description of the evening, it became obvious that your first mistake was assuming these people were your "friends".

Part of what makes a evening "work" is when whoever's in charge, takes charge. "Insisting" on the prime slot? Going on 45 minutes late? Playing a too long set? Bailing immediately afterwards? There's no way I would have put up with any of that ****, let alone all of it in one evening.
Agreed....they're not your friends. But live and learn.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Somebody needed to step up and tell them, their slot was 10 - 10:45. They blew their chance. They were rude, but nobody stopped them either. Why did nobody step in after 45 minutes and get them off the stage?

If we/I know we might ever have to leave mid set of another band, we try and mention it at some point before hand, just to be nice. Just a quick, "hey guys, really wanted to catch your set, but I'm gonna have to cut out right after we play."

Common courtesy goes a long way.

Phletch

Somebody needed to step up and tell them, their slot was 10 - 10:45. They blew their chance. They were rude, but nobody stopped them either. Why did nobody step in after 45 minutes and get them off the stage?
:agree

FenderTone

OP, that totally sucks. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

My band is careful with double bills. We played alternating sets with another band last Friday night. In this instance a band member from the other band has been a close friend of mine for over forty years (we started played in bands together at 15 years old) and because he's a close friend and because the other band consisted of guys that've been around, it went great as I knew it would.

This was the third time we've played at this venue. The format is alternating bands with four total one hour sets, each band plays two sets. One band plays 1st and 3rd, the other plays 2nd and 4th. It went great this past Friday and it went great with another different band a couple months ago - in that instance we were familiar with the other band (my favorite band in the area) and we already knew them.

A year ago at the same venue it wasn't that great particularly because the guitarist from the other band noodled at full volume for a solid ten minutes before their set which prompted irritating/shouting from the audience to turn it down...

nomadh

Well being a new band could make them run behind on setup. That said if i saw them running off the rails soon enough id have told them to move it or loose it. If they didnt snap to then take the slot back. sounds like the writing was on the wall when they "refused" you 2nd slot.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member

I agree completely. The only reason I didn't step in was because, as mentioned above, these were friends of our drummer and I didn't think it was my place. My drummer is someone who avoids conflict at all costs and he didn't say a thing. Yep, lesson learned.

dlguitar64

OP, that totally sucks. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

My band is careful with double bills. We played alternating sets with another band last Friday night. In this instance a band member from the other band has been a close friend of mine for over forty years (we started played in bands together at 15 years old) and because he's a close friend and because the other band consisted of guys that've been around, it went great as I knew it would.

This was the third time we've played at this venue. The format is alternating bands with four total one hour sets, each band plays two sets. One band plays 1st and 3rd, the other plays 2nd and 4th. It went great this past Friday and it went great with another different band a couple months ago - in that instance we were familiar with the other band (my favorite band in the area) and we already knew them.

A year ago at the same venue it wasn't that great particularly because the guitarist from the other band noodled at full volume for a solid ten minutes before their set which prompted irritating/shouting from the audience to turn it down...
I would hate to have to play in that format.

MartinLove

Something similar happened to us numerous times. In Boston, a band took two encores and did so without apology. We loaded our stuff, unloaded, waited and listened, and were told it was too close to Boston's sound curfew when it was finally our time to play. Was I pissed? Yup. Did I say anything? Nope. What's there to say other than the obvious?

Another time a band's singer suggested the band do a few more songs and put us on the spot, in front of the entire audience. What did we do? We obliged. What did it mean for us? Our set was cut short.

Pissed.

cob666

I don't think is really an etiquette issue. Nobody enforced the guest band's start time and nobody enforced their set time.

Echoes

We played for a promoter many years back who simply pulled the plug when your time was up...(PA shut down then power to amps turned off) ....right in the middle of a song if you pushed him.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Read up on show biz at the Apollo theater. If somebody did that they get 'the hook' and drag their ass off stage. Amateur hour I guess.

M

Member 117653

What are some other rules that you can think of that may help out other bands starting out?
I think the band you described pretty much nailed all the ones I can think of! :)

However, I might add:

* if you're sharing a bill, set up/pack up like your life depended on it. Don't mill around the stage talking shite, rolling up leads one inch at a time.
* don't hog the rider

P.S. Was the band any good? Seems like they're gonna need to be the best thing since Led Zep to make up for their obvious character flaws!

DonaldDemon

Welcome to the original scene. This has happened many times to us, we have even walked out on a few shows due to this. It's poor management by the promoter, plain and simple. A good promoter enforces the set times and doesn't let the other bands get screwed...but a good promoter is a rare thing.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
So they insisted on the 10pm slot, and that is when the started setting up?
Or did they take longer than 45 minutes?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom