bandm bassm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by _didi_, Mar 11, 2015.

1. _didi_

_didi_ Member

Hello,
    Some advice needed. I'm thinking of buying a bandmaster ab763 or bassman sf (head).
    Would you recommend me the ab763 with a more powerfull OT or the bassman with a good tremolo pedal ?

I need a tremolo and good clean balls as a pedal platform.

Thx,
    Didi

2. tele_player

tele_player Member

I like both, I'd buy whichever I found at the right price.
    Of course, then I'd buy the other.

Robert

3. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

I have both, although an amp tech told me the bandmaster had an upgraded bassman tranny... Both are great amps... Great pedal platforms..

4. AL30

AL30 Member

You can't go wrong with either one it just depends on your needs. I have a 64 and a 67 bassman and a 68(?) bandmaster.

Bassman has more power and "oomph" to it.

My Bandmaster is like a polite bassman. Doesn't have the balls or volume of the bassman but has great cleans.

Once you get up to around half way on the volume they sound really similar.

AL

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Both winners. Let the best priced one win!

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The bassman seems a bit stronger/cleaner to me. The trem circuit does make a difference tone wise.
    BTW: I once had a couple Bassman chassis'. Experimenting over about a year I tried pretty much all the Bassman Head circuits in them. The one I liked the best? the 371 circuit. Strongest cleanest tone.

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Buy the deal that presents itself best/first. Plan to add the other later. Let them sort themselves out. It would be difficult to lose money selling the one you don't prefer. IMHO, there is no way to make this decision without having both for a month or more.

8. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Bassman is narrower, probably a little more portable ..

9. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I have both - a 64 Bandmaster and a 66 Bassman. I think the Bandmaster is a better pedal platform, has better cleans and tremolo. The Bassman is more powerful, has bigger low end and more punch from the bigger OT. IMO, it doesn't sound its best until it is turned up to 4 or so. At that volume, it is too loud for smaller venues or practice rooms. But it kicks butt.

10. _didi_

_didi_ Member

Thx for the replies !!
    best,
    d.

11. Custom50

Custom50 Member

This right here. My bandmaster also has a beefed up transformer. I was going to get a sf bassman as well but once I tried one the sound was pretty similar to my bandmaster so I passed on it and I saved a few hundred bucks.

Both are awesome and can get similar tones with pedal. Get a tremolo pedal for you bassman or hit the bandmaster with an EQ to push the mids a bit more.

It really is hard to go wrong with silverface fenders. Hell, if you have some money just get both and keep the one you like best.

12. _didi_

_didi_ Member

Thx again. I'll let the best priced win.
    Good to know that the OT upgrade on the bandmaster brings more 'ooomph'. That was what kept me worrying.
    Thx !