Bandmaster Brown or Blond? Pics!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goldstrat, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I have this in another thread but anyone who can try and date this amp I would appreciate it. It is a conversion that someone took either a Brownface or Blond Bandmaster Head and had a Brownish Pink 3x10 cab made with Jensen reissue speakers. It looks like they put a Bassman Transformer in it to get the right output for the 3 8 Ohm speakers. I just took it apart and the inside looks like maybe a 61 with all the Astron caps. Also I guess someone put the rectifier 5U4g in it and there is also a pot with a trimmer next to it. Maybe Bias? Any and all info is appreciated. I love this amp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Birdseye

Birdseye Silver Supporting Member

That chassis is typical of what would be found in a blonde head, judging by the dark color of the faceplate. But you are correct, all the gold Astrons would indicate an early '61 date. The 3x10 brown combo Bandmasters were very limited in quantity and really only made in 1960. It is a very cool amp you have there, bet it sounds great with all the Astrons. Your tolex is not really what's commonly know as the "pinkish brown color", which has never been reissued.

Here's a shot that shows the pinkish tolex of 1960, along with the brown tolex from 61-62 on the reverb unit, and the lighter brown faceplate of the earlier amps.

I dig your bandmaster repro, VERY nice. Have you checked the date codes on the pots? There are also ways to get an idea of the date by serial number, but I'd bet that amp is a '61.

[​IMG]

3. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Thanks for all the good information Birdseye! Is that a 60 in your pics? Looks real nice.

4. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

Not much to add except I'm drooling, and jealous!

5. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

What's the depth of the cabinet? if it's 10-1/2" that chassis is not from a bandmaster head. Just a guess but based on the tube rectifier and power transformer I would say that it's was a brown super chassis.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I had a Brown-face, blonde Bandmaster head and I think it was SS rectified. Maybe or not?

7. fishlog

fishlog Member

Wow! I have a 67 Bandmaster Head. Those 3x10 combo's look great and if that bottom one is an original, I would just kill to play through it once! The repro one looks like who ever made it really paid attention to detail!

8. Birdseye

That's a very good question, very astute! It could even be a '60 or '61 Super, with a changed faceplate. That makes a lot of sense. One of the things I like about this amp is the tube rectifier.

And yes, mine in the picture above is an original '60, with Jensen P10Ns, sounds just like the early 60s, quite unique tone, unmistakably unusual.

I think the OP got a great deal on his Bandmaster mod amp, old iron and gold Astrons, nice!

9. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

The depth is like 9". But it sounds real good whatever someone did to it I think they knew what they were doing. Anyone have an opinion of the Jensen reissues? I'm already thinking the Weber 10A125 or 10F125's might make it even better.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The reissue Jensens sound nothing like the originals, get the Webers, the amp will truly come alive. Yeah, that probably isn't a Bandmaster chassis-it should have a SS rectifier. Check out the sn stamped on the back: that'll have a 1 or 2 letter designation before the number that'll tell you what it is (like S for Super) and give you a pretty good idea what the date should be. Just to amplify a little, the early blond/browns had 5 preamp tubes, the later ones 6, so I'm thinking 61-62 is a pretty good guess...

11. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

The number on the case is 02799 and it has 6 preamp tubes and a rectifier to make it more confusing.

[​IMG]

12. DaBreeze

DaBreeze Member

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Awesome amp - my guess is a 61.

14. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Dating it would be easy, all someone needs to do is get the pot codes off the pots, or the transformer codes off the transformers, or even the date codes off the filter caps.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

According to the dating information from Gagliano at 20th Century Guitar, that's a mid-61. Either a Pro or most likely a Super. IF you cut down the cab to a 212 and changed the faceplate it'd be essentially original!

16. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I just checked the pots and the CTS are the only ones I can read. They are all between the 10th week and the 26th week of 1960. The chassis is 22-1/4" wide and 8" deep. The small transformer is 125C1A and 606049, and the Big Transformer is 022871 and 606-3-50 so that would be a 63. Maybe someone put the Bassman Transformer in to match the 3x10" which would be 2.6 Ohm load.

17. Birdseye

OK....with those pot codes, and the Astron caps, and the chassis dimensions, looks to me like you have a late 1960 amp, most likely a Super, based on the tube rectifier and the 8087 PT, which was found in the brown Super. I think you probably have a '60 Super chassis. The Super, Concert, and Bandmaster combos all shared the same chassis size.

The thing that really makes me wonder is that the faceplate and backplate you have look like they came from an original Bandmaster head. Is someone making repros of those? The cat who built this amp went through the trouble of replacing not just the face, but the back plate as well. They both match and are not the brownface combo color, they are the dark color of the head style plates.That part is little odd, but I guess it is possible they would fit. I think the width is the same on those, if not the depth. Wish I could find out if the back panels on the Brown Concert and the Bandmaster head would match.

Not sure how close yours would sound to a real Bandmaster. Much of the unique tone of the Bandmaster combo is in the small, mismatched impedance output transformer/3x10 speakers. But I bet it sounds pretty great anyway!

That is a cool amp, I think you got real lucky. I can't imagine someone going through the trouble to put that together and then letting it go at GC. Good for you though!

18. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Thanks for all the great info. I have learned alot from this thread. The person who had this amp traded in about 7 real nice vintage amps including some nice 50's and 60's Ampegs and Gretsch amps that were all very nice. I was just lucky enough to go to the store at the right time.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008