BandMaster Ideas, will it float?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alivegy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. alivegy

alivegy Member

So lately I've been thinking about trading in my classic 50 for a mid 60's fender bandmaster head. I'm going to track one down and try to get some time with it to see if it is really for me but from all of the descriptions that I've read it sounds like it is the amp for me. I love that classic fender not-quite clean that has that dirty sparkle. So I'm not looking for ultimate headroom as I play mostly at shouting volumes in my apartment. I was thinking of running a clean dry signal into one channel and then splitting the signal and running my crunchbox through a volume pedal into the tremolo channel and using the volume pedal to control the amount of pedal distortion that gets mixed in with the clean. Will something like this work well or is there anything I should really think about before trying to do this.

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

BF bandmaster heads can still be had for cheap. If you want reverb, there is a SF bandmaster reverb that came out in '68. I own a '69 Bandmaster reverb.

You should also try out some Bassman Amps as well, BF bassmans are a good bargain like Bandmaster heads.

On the fender non-reverb amps you can jumper the 2 channels. Also you can use an AB box between them. I have just recently been using an AB box with mine, if I ever get this 2nd band going, I will probably use one channel as a solo boost channel.....

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

3. twang

twang Member

where are you located? I just put my '65-66 bf bandmaster on san diego cl, will only sell with matching cab. I haven't seen it post yet, but it usually takes less than 30 minutes

4. kimock

kimock Member

You'll probably be happier just running straight into the thing.
    You can jump the channels on that amp, they are in phase, but most pedals will flip the phase, and you're gonna have some weirdness as a result.

peace

5. alivegy

alivegy Member

Thanks Twang but I already have a cabinet and I'm just looking for a bandmaster head. I had hoped phase wouldn't be an issue with the non reverb head, anyone else a clean/distorted setup similar to this?

6. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I have an old BF Bandmaster which I don't use much, but I sometimes will take it to a quick live gig when my other amps are in use in the studio. I think it's a great sounding amp and it's my favorite with the Pete Cornish pedals on my pedal board.

7. alivegy

alivegy Member

What other amps do you use and what kind of music do you find the bandmaster is best suited too.

8. mild

mild Member

9. alivegy

alivegy Member

and a shameless bump for the thoughts of the weekday crew, surfing when they should be working.

10. opus

opus Member

"I'm not looking for ultimate headroom as I play mostly at shouting volumes in my apartment."

You're not going to get grit from a bandmaster at that volume..., mine's earsplitting by the time i get any grit from it... (though, as has been said many times before, volume is all relative)

If you're looking for apartment volumes..., probably champ, vibrochamp, or princeton would be more what you're looking for?

11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Yep, Bandmaster + decent speaker is louder than you might think.

12. alivegy

alivegy Member

I've played one a couple of times and it's certainly not lacking for volume in a small space, but it is considerably quieter than a bassman, twin, or deluxe. I will probably end up putting an attenuator on it, but if it isn't as loud to begin with, I won't have to attenuate it very much.