1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bandmaster reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Boogie92801, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have heard that some people replace the OPT in these in order to get a tighter bottom end and a little more beefier tone. What is the general opinion about that here?
    I have also heard that the supers had a different OPT and that is why they are considered a better amp.

I like mine but it is a bit flabby and I could dig a tad more oomph or crunch.

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I think the Bandmaster Reverb in general is an underated amp.
    They do lack some punch and low end tightness.I have replaced the OT 's with 50 watt bassman transformers in a couple and been very happy with the results.I use a lot of Mercury Magnetics output transformers in other amps but have been happy with the less expensive New Sensor or Mojo Tone replacements in the Bandmaster Reverbs.

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I was think of using MM trannies (I hear that there replacment trannies are a big improment on there own). Should I go with their stock BMR trannies or should I ask them for a supper or bassman tranny? Should I change the power tranny to or just the OPT?.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The OPT will have the most dramatic effect. If the voltages are correct with the present power transformer, it's unlikely that changing it will produce sonic improvement.

If you want maximum output and the tightest possible low end go for the Bassman output transformer. Otherwise the Bandmaster tranny should be fine though may not be a huge improvement over the one in the amp now.

5. Swarty

Swarty Member

I have found the MM Bandmaster/Vibrolux Reverb/Pro Reverb/Bandmaster Reverb output transformer to be a huge improvement over the stock ones. Especially in the low end, but the highs open up too.

6. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well, choose a bassman or a pro tranny?

7. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I've done a little digging, and found a few people who suggested a Bassman OT. I'm in the same predicament right now with my BMR. I think I'm gonna get a Bassman OT from Mojo (made by Heyboer, which I understand to have a pretty good reputation), and for a lot less $$$ than Mercury Magnetics. I know Greg Germino uses a lot of Heyboer stuff, and his amps are awesome. So they must be pretty good transformers. So, hope that helps, FWIW. I'll re-post some thoughts about my results once I've made the swap.

Best,

Doc :)

8. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

I'd go for the Bassman tranny, more iron.....more better ! I've done a few of these tranny upgrades and the difference is well worth the effort. There is a noticeable difference with a MM but whether it's worth the extra cost is a judgement call.
    Dave C

9. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

It has been a while since I was on this thread but what i did was give the BMR to my daughter and I boought a 1965 Pro Reverb. It has a much tighter baottom end than the BMR and seems to have more "ompf" all around and much more of the scooped fender thing happening. Even though it is clearer and more defined it also has much more crunch at 5 than the BMR.

10. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I have 3 Bandmaster Reverbs. I have had my tech change 2 of them to bigger OT that are multitap so that I can run either 2, 4 or 8 ohm loads. If interested I can get the brand name for you. The increase in bottom end and overall tightness is great.

Regards,

Tom

11. karmadave

karmadave Member

My understanding is that the BMR, Pro Reverb, & Vibrolux Reverb pretty much use the same OT. The Super and Bassman have a beefier OT which will give the amp more punch and bottom end. In fact, a BMR with a beefier OT is pretty much a Super Reverb Head. My instructor had this done with the 4, 8, 16 ohm tap and uses a 2 x 12" cab. Sounds killer!

-KD

12. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Yes, I'd love to know what brand you used!

Thanks,

Doc :BEER